What's new

What's the meaning of....

i'd like to know if it's a positive word. I mean, during a happy hour, you can say NAkaNaka instead cheers? Or watching the sun at the sea, wonderful, NakaNaka or beautiful sunglassess, NakaNaka!

i'd like to know if it's a positive word. I mean, during a happy hour, you can say NAkaNaka instead cheers? Or watching the sun at the sea, wonderful, NakaNaka or beautiful sunglassess, NakaNaka!

Would you ordinarily use an isolated adverb in those situations?

I wouldn't base my impression of the meaning of a Japanese word on it being used as the name of a French website.

Think of it as being similar to "considerably" when used before an adjective. Without the following adjective nobody can say for sure if it is positive or negative.

See examples in the dictionary you linked.

彼はなかなかの外交家だ
Kare wa nakanaka no gaikōka da.
He is quite a diplomat.

今日はなかなか暑い
Kyō wa nakanaka atsui.
It is very hot today.

なかなかの快挙
nakanaka no kaikyo
no mean feat

なかなかの早業だ
nakanaka no hayawaza da
Sharp work!

なかなか is an adverb/the stem of an adjective, as Mike-san wrote. ほぉ、これはなかなか "Hoo, kore wa nakanaka" can work when seeing beautiful sunglassess since it's obvious for listeners that the speaker wants to say "Hoo, kore wa nakanaka ii mono da. Well, this is quite a good one." As for the rest, no, you can't use nakanaka for those cases.

Back
Top Bottom