What's new

What's the funniest movie you have ever seen (title and brief description)?

Machine

後輩
29 Jan 2003
Monty Python and The Holy Grail.

The Swallow and Coconut scene is priceless. Those who havent seen it, GO TO BLOCKBUSTER!

There are quite a few, but the one that spring to mind are :

- the Adams Family
I guess everybody know the freaky familly. A classic !

- Shanghai Noon, with Jacky Chan and Owen Wilson (the following Shanghai Knight has just been released, but haven't seen it yet).
Story : Late 19th century, a Chinese imperial guard has been sent to the US Wild West to recover the kidnapned princess Pipi. He meets a cowboy that is the antithesis of his values. Hilarious culture shock.

- Austin Power : Gold Member, with Mike Myer and lots of celebrities.
Weirdy James Bond comes to Japan !

In French :

- Les Visiteurs, with Jean Reno and Christian Clavier (they have made an English version "the visitors in America" too, but not as funny as the original in French)
Synopsis : a lord and his serf from the 11th century (speaking iin very funny old French) drink a magic potion and are brought by mistake to the end of the 20th century. Culture shock for both sides ! Hilarious for the contrast between rough old French and modern French as spoken by the posh nobility.

- Le dinner de cons, with Thierry Lhermite
A group of friends enjoy themselves inviting the most stupid person they know at dinner to make fun of him/her. This time, the guest is really stupid, but is nonetheless going to understand the abusing game.

I agree with Maciamo : La cena degli idioti is one of the funniest films ever
👏

1941: Allarme a Hollywood

With John Belushi and Dan Aykroyd (the blues brothers)

1941, a Japanese submarine is attempting a surprise attack on Hollywood. I won't give you the rest of the story, or you won't enjoy it :)
(i must see it again)

The Life of Bryan - Monty Python

It's hard to pick a single sketch. They were all great.

"Is there any woman in the croud?" :D

Hard to tell what the funniest movie is,
but I pick Gung Ho as one of my top 20.

Some people might feel uncomfortable with the way
the Japanese culture is presented in the movie,
but hey, you don't really expect Hollywood to be culturally precise, do you?

Well, I will just cut my BS. Just see this.

Monty Python all the way! I adore The Life of Brian and The Holy Grail!

:)

Les Visiteurs was fabulous too, though I had difficulties with their antiquated French.

I'm going to have to say
Spaceballs - "What the hell am I looking at? When does this happen in the movie?"
"Now, your looking at now sir, everything that happens now is happening now"
"What happened to then?"
"We passed it"
"When?"
"Just now. We're at now now"
"Go back to then"
"When?"
"Now"
"Now?"
"Now!"
"I cant"
"Why?"
"We missed it"
"When?"
"Just now"
"When will then be now?"
"Soon"
"How soon?" etc.

And i love Robin Hood Men in Tights "We're men, we're men in tight *tight* tights we roam around looking for fights, we may look like sissies but dont get us wrong or else we'll put out your lights..." etc (singing/dancing part)

Mel Brookes' movies are hilarious! :D

"May the juice be with you!"

I am always having a hard time remembering which movies i've seen.
Shrek was pretty funny, i think... :)

For me, it has to be Planes, Trains and Automobiles, with Steve Martin and John Candy...
Neal Paige (Martin), a marketing person in NYC, is trying to get home to Chicago for Thanksgiving and ends up stuck with the wandering Del Griffith (Candy) as they go from one mishap to another some of the most aggravating situations people undergo when travelling in America.
Despite the humorous and sometimes tortuous situations created by Del, it also has the message that offers people what the holidays are all about...
The automobile scenes have got to be one of the most memorable comedy things I've seen, and in some ways, it even tops the car chase scenes in The Blues Brothers in silliness...
And the movie has a special place in my heart since I have happened to come across many folks in my travels and at work that reminds me of the Del Griffith character...unfortunately, the ones I've dealt with fail to learn or acknowledge or are even aware that they are annoying others...
And I guess the movie's comedic scenes are believable, unlike many comedy movies....nothing beats the scene when Steve Martin throws a fit after the rental car bus driver leaves him in the middle of a parking lot with no rental car there (because it was already taken) and he has to walk miles back through the hazardous territory to reach the rental car counter to request for another car....anybody that has been frustrated by murphy's law would understand his character's feelings very well, I would think... :D

but if you haven't seen the movie, or did not like it for exactly the reasons I've stated in picking it, well, everybody has their own tastes in comedy.... :D

"Johnny English" - starring Rowan Atkinson a.k.a Mr Bean. Very funny indeed! I would recommend this to everyone. Just imagine the worst things that can happen to any secret service agent!

"kids in the hall: brain candy"
all i can say is just watch it, i dont wanna give anything away. from the canadian comedy troop of the same name.

"super troopers"
The fine art of handing out a freeway speeding ticket gets a deviously funny twist in this smart-alecky farce written and performed by the comedy troop Broken Lizard (consisting of Jay Chandrasekhar, Kevin Heffernan, Steve Lemme, Paul Soter, and Erik Stolhanske). These pranksters in patrol cars (led by their long-suffering commander Brian Cox) are little more than overgrown frat boys in a campus rivalry with the brawling Vermont bullies of the local police force, and they know how to have fun on the highway patrol. This skit-like collection of comic moments clumps from one scene to another like a variety show, but the gags are more hit than miss, thanks largely to terrific ensemble work and inspired motorist mind games. With a nod to such 1970s comedies as Animal House and Caddyshack, this "boys in blue just wanna have fun" farce is hardly sophisticated, just clever, raucous fun. --Sean Axmaker

"jesus' son":
"Jesus' Son" is the story of a young man's circuitous journey from drug dependency and petty crime to a life redeemed by his startling discovery of compassion. Set in the drug subculture of the 1970's, a young man in his twenties (Billy Crudup) careens through his days getting stoned, stealing, or scamming a quick buck. He is driven by an overwhelming desire to help those around him, to save them from their often sorry fates, but he repeatedly fails. Almost by a miracle, redemption does come to the young man. It sneaks up on him almost imperceptibly, through barely observed lessons learned from a colorful parade of characters who range from a crazed, pill-popping hospital orderly (Jack Black), a down-on-his-luck-divorcee (Denis Leary), to a half-paralyzed woman (Holly Hunter) who teaches him about love. Bit by bit, the young man stumbles towards sobriety and lands a job at an assisted living facility where he discovers the depths of his own compassion for others, and the grace that comes with it.

"mystery science theater 3000" the episodes or the movie here is the movie review:
The cult television show (in which a hapless space explorer and his robot pals are forced to watch and deliver a hilarious running commentary on bad movies) makes a successful transition to the big screen as Mike and the 'bots lay waste to the '50s sci-fi yarn This Island Earth (a painfully stiff would-be epic that's actually a cut above the usual MST3K fare). While ardent fans may be a little miffed that more advantage isn't taken of the expanded theatrical venue (aside from a tad more scatological humor than usual, the content here would fit in comfortably as a regular episode of the series), the nonstop, hyper-literate salvo of comedy riffs that run the gamut from references to Tommy Chong's backyard to Yes album covers more than make up for any conceptual complacency. Be prepared to laugh till it aches. --Andrew Wright

the reviews/despriptions come from amazon.com because im too lazy to type and they do a better job than i would describing movies anyway. i wouldnt watch super troppers or jesus' son with kids around.

Originally posted by jeisan
"kids in the hall: brain candy"
all i can say is just watch it, i dont wanna give anything away. from the canadian comedy troop of the same name.

"super troopers"
The fine art of handing out a freeway speeding ticket gets a deviously funny twist in this smart-alecky farce written and performed by the comedy troop Broken Lizard (consisting of Jay Chandrasekhar, Kevin Heffernan, Steve Lemme, Paul Soter, and Erik Stolhanske). These pranksters in patrol cars (led by their long-suffering commander Brian Cox) are little more than overgrown frat boys in a campus rivalry with the brawling Vermont bullies of the local police force, and they know how to have fun on the highway patrol. This skit-like collection of comic moments clumps from one scene to another like a variety show, but the gags are more hit than miss, thanks largely to terrific ensemble work and inspired motorist mind games. With a nod to such 1970s comedies as Animal House and Caddyshack, this "boys in blue just wanna have fun" farce is hardly sophisticated, just clever, raucous fun. --Sean Axmaker

"jesus' son":
"Jesus' Son" is the story of a young man's circuitous journey from drug dependency and petty crime to a life redeemed by his startling discovery of compassion. Set in the drug subculture of the 1970's, a young man in his twenties (Billy Crudup) careens through his days getting stoned, stealing, or scamming a quick buck. He is driven by an overwhelming desire to help those around him, to save them from their often sorry fates, but he repeatedly fails. Almost by a miracle, redemption does come to the young man. It sneaks up on him almost imperceptibly, through barely observed lessons learned from a colorful parade of characters who range from a crazed, pill-popping hospital orderly (Jack Black), a down-on-his-luck-divorcee (Denis Leary), to a half-paralyzed woman (Holly Hunter) who teaches him about love. Bit by bit, the young man stumbles towards sobriety and lands a job at an assisted living facility where he discovers the depths of his own compassion for others, and the grace that comes with it.

"mystery science theater 3000" the episodes or the movie here is the movie review:
The cult television show (in which a hapless space explorer and his robot pals are forced to watch and deliver a hilarious running commentary on bad movies) makes a successful transition to the big screen as Mike and the 'bots lay waste to the '50s sci-fi yarn This Island Earth (a painfully stiff would-be epic that's actually a cut above the usual MST3K fare). While ardent fans may be a little miffed that more advantage isn't taken of the expanded theatrical venue (aside from a tad more scatological humor than usual, the content here would fit in comfortably as a regular episode of the series), the nonstop, hyper-literate salvo of comedy riffs that run the gamut from references to Tommy Chong's backyard to Yes album covers more than make up for any conceptual complacency. Be prepared to laugh till it aches. --Andrew Wright

the reviews/despriptions come from amazon.com because im too lazy to type and they do a better job than i would describing movies anyway. i wouldnt watch super troppers or jesus' son with kids around.

Too bad you didn't live here... I had a bunch of friends over to drink lots of japanese and german beer and watch MST3K... =) Sometimes the stuff is too corny... but when you drunk... who cares!

damn i missed out, i usually drink mexican beer, corona, plus i havent seen MST3K in a while either. sometimes me and my roomates rent horribly crappy movies, "a nymphoid barbarian in dinosaur hell" for example, and MST3K them to our own satisfaction, great fun.

The German movie "Crash boom bang". then "dark star" and Monty Python's Holy Grail, and Jabberwocky.

well at the moment, I would have to say any Kevin Smith film :)

Mallrats: When T.S. and Brodie are discussing how Superman could never get it on with Louis Lane is funny :)

All his films are hilarious!!

Clerks:The argument between Dante and Randall about the Death Star crew and then the contracter jumps in...Laughed hard did I :)

hmm okay, I have nasty tastes in movies hehe hi like the old B horror flicks where you can see the wires, so I am not really the best person to be answering this :)
BUT one of the movies that I saw that I thought was funny was called Amazon Women on the Moon ... It has Arcenio Hall, and it is just about the most messed up thing you would ever see lol
It is basically a bunch of hilarious skits intertwined in the movie ...I think it is definitely worth looking up at least...

not sure if I have seen it ... I have seen many movies and couldn't tell you what they are called. I am horrible about that ... I find myself picking movies on cable to watch and then realizing after they have started that I have seen them before and just didn't recognize the name LOL.

Back
Top Bottom