What's new

What's the best way to learn japanese?

tekk2k

後輩
24 Sep 2004
I am currently learning japanese by way of the pimsleur learning japanese audio cd's. Although it is good, it is not as effective as i thought it would be. I was wondering if anyone had any other good ways of learning to speak the japanese language?

tekk2k said:
I am currently learning japanese by way of the pimsleur learning japanese audio cd's. Although it is good, it is not as effective as i thought it would be. I was wondering if anyone had any other good ways of learning to speak the japanese language?
Add a text book at a minimum. Then, optionally, add classes, dictionaries, flash cards, computer programs etc. on top of that.

I liked Japanese for Busy People but there are several others that could be used instead.

THANKS for great the advice. I will try the textbooks section of this forum to find out where to get textbooks and flash cards from.

Genki... get Genki :p Great book, but it's gonna take a lot of work.

There is no real "best" way, just a bunch of good ways and a LOT of bad ways. It's all effort from what I'm seeing.

How about a recomendation for learning kanji?
I am studiying japanese for about 2 years now, and I need to learn more kanji but...

There are kanji flashcards you can get. I found them at Borders. Best way for me to learn is to practice writing them.

Can also check out the Kanji learning game: Project LRNJ: Learn Japanese RPG
It's good for learning the basics, what each one means, but you'll need a textbook or a dictionary if you want to be able to actually read Japanese words.

Also, kanji comparisons are good. Some that look similar are read similarly. Mostly it's memorization, since you have to know when to use the onyomi or the kunyomi, and what kanji carries what onyomi/kunyomi.

Shinhan7 said:
How about a recomendation for learning kanji?
I am studiying japanese for about 2 years now, and I need to learn more kanji but...

Mmm If you want to learn the jouyou kanji quickly, I would recommend using a book called "kanzen masuta" reference book. The one that I am using is for JLPT 2-kyuu, and can be purchased for 1400yen. The book is very good in that it contains all the kanji you ever would need to know (well, at least the jouyou ones), and that there are many good questions to apply your knowledge on.

Back
Top Bottom