What's new

whats the best English teaching program to look at?

kala83

後輩
11 Jul 2007
I am looking at a English teaching program after I graduate for about a year and I am not entirely sure what programs I should be looking at the most. I don't think I should be looking into NOVA to very much since I heard it had a lot of issues in the past.
So mostly I am looking into the JET program but I know there are other programs so I thought I would ask about the others so I could look into them as well. Anyway help on the matter would be wonderful...also if anyone has done any of the programs and would like to share personal experiences from doing the job I would love to hear them.

NOVA has folded due to poorly managed accounting services related to returning money to dissatisfied students. A lot of NOVA's teachers were retained by another company G-COM.

JET is an excellent way for a fresh college graduate to experience Japan and teaching, IMO. JET pays airfare, which is a rarity here, and you might even get lucky with placement that offers reduced or free rent. Working hours and pay are much better than most other entry level teaching jobs, and as an ALT you have the luxury of not being in charge of a class (or classes) of 30-40 unmotivated schoolkids. One downside is that the application process is long; deadlines for application are end of the year, interviews are in February, notification is in April or May, and you ship out in July or August.

As for any other "good" entry level work, eikaiwa (conversation schools) are pretty much the same. If you can't come here to look for work, you are going to have to deal with the very few employers who hire from abroad (ECC, GEOS, AEON, Altia, Peppy Kids Club, James English School, David English House, to name most of them). You will have the benefit of staying in your homeland until things are decided (thus saving money), but you will still have to deal with their recruiting schedules (not all hire year round) and locations (meaning, you pay all expenses to attend the 1-3 days of interviewing).

Back
Top Bottom