What's new

Whats some of the ugliest kanji you have seen?

窒、寄、窓、奔、腐、瓶、畜。。。。

Too little balance or too many sheer/sharp edges. Are these self explanatory or does anyone disagree ? :p

You mean there are kanji that are not ugly? :eek:
j/k :D
Well, anything over 6 strokes is definitely disgusting :haihai:

"考える "

When I first learned it in the second grade, I thought "Why is there a number five in it?????"

:D :D :p :p 👍 👍

isn't ugly, but I've learned it by telling myself it's "Under one roof, One heart supported by friendship."

Love = Feeling + Communication + a lot of testings

Actually I find [size=+3][/size] pretty ugly although it is one of my best friends' name. 戀 means to love or a love relationship. It is based on a heart which is . However, in the centre, there is which means talk. Therefore, 戀 needs a heart and a mouth and worse, on the top of the heart there are two entanglements on each side of the mouth.

Man, that is a lot of burden for the heart! And the worst is, 戀 looks like the word change [size=+3][/size]. So it is always subject to change!!! :D

No, I mean it is inclined to change. Too abstract, surreal, and difficult to grab? Or whatever!

Last edited:
I actually prefer those to their simplified counterparts, and , respectively.

Elizabeth said:
窒、寄、窓、奔、腐、瓶、畜。。。。

Too little balance or too many sheer/sharp edges. Are these self explanatory or does anyone disagree ? :p

Actually, I really like 窓--the stroke order flows well (in my mind). But I have a strong aversion to charactes that are asymetrical... or don't seem to flow. And, 美 always makes me think of Mukade (centipedes).

Oooh... I have thought of some more I don't like: 然 , 短 , and

chiquiliquis said:
Actually, I really like 窓--the stroke order flows well (in my mind).

I guess my eye just picks up on the right leaning broken vertical slant, although of course that isn't necessarily the direction it would be handwritten. Similar in a way to 究 or 突く which always look like they're already starting to run off the page....:D

How about this guy: ? Not one of the more visually appealing kanji in existence, ne? :D

etc,,,,

There are so many Kanji that I think are really beautiful that I can't mention all of them here, but I think what makes me sort them into two categories; "my favourite ones" and "the others" is how compicated they are.
The more it looks complicated, the more beautiful it looks to me.

Oh! Sorry! I just made a mistake! This isn't the thread that people are supposed to talk about their favourire ones!

Okay, here is the one that I think is ugly.
this looks like it hasn't got any power with itself, I don't like it as well as its meaning, looks like しょぼい

What do you mean ugly ? They are all beautiful !
Well, just in case one turns out a bit out of shape, there is calligraphy to patch her up, and then there are variant ms. styles not to mention scribal or student errors. ;-)

This is probably going to be a little offensive to Lexico, for which I apologise unreservedly, but I've always found Korean characters a little weird looking. My head spins when I look at a page of Korean.

off-topic topic: the Korean alphabet resembles Chinese characters in that...

the letters are written to form boxes, and that one box represents one syllable. Although the consonant letters of the Korean alphabet were pictograms of the distinctive vocal organs, the strokes have been abstracted to the extreme due to the minimalist approach. As for the vowel letters, they denoted vowel pairs by placing one dot in opposition to the other (left or right/above or belowof the base line, AND single or double ) reflecting vowel harmony. The headache that you had is due to the absence of redundancy. Redundancy is meaningful in writing as it is in speech for quick, easy recognition, comparable to the difficulty in recognising physical objects in semi-representative art compared to that in representative art.
Nice attempt at payback, btw, but it didn't work, dagger man. :p :devilish:

Hmm, I rather like the look of the korean characters. Its so unique, and if you actually want to take the time to read it, you can learn to do so, in less than half a day.
That makes it not so mind boggling, and im pretty sure your head would stop spinning.

You're probably right Kara. I have heard it's pretty easy to pick up the readings in a short space of time. I'm still trying to figure out what the 'payback' was for though. ;-)

Silverpoint said:
I'm still trying to figure out what the 'payback' was for though. ;-)
I was talking about "the little offense for Lexico" being the little attempt at payback for the "head-spinning headache the alpahbet gave you." ;-)

I tend to dislike all simplified characters, because i never learned how to read simplified text.

Back
Top Bottom