What's new

What's Happening With the Language Schools in Japan??

14 Feb 2008
With the news of NOVA going into insolvency, what impact is that going to have on people such as myself who may be moving to Japan to teach English at one of the big schools ??
Is the demand too low for teachers now ?? What about schools like GEOS or AEON, are they still hiring ??

The demand for teachers in Japan has essentially not changed. Why would it?

I'm guessing the OP means demand from the eikaiwas to fill their posts by hiring from abroad. Due to Nova going bust there's a relatively new surplus of teachers within Japan that already have a visa, are set up to some degree, and whatnot...

Very possible, but.

The market here is saturated it would appear so you would be up against so many people - could be as many as 150 people chasing one job. So the answer is your looking at a very competitive market right now. However on the plus side, many schools don't want to take on former Nova teachers, I understand, because they have a bit of a bad reputation as not being very committed. However the most important thing these days is experience and personality/looks, though there are still many schools that will take you on personality alone. So the answer to your question is this, if you are not genki then forget about it, if you are genki then start applying from either Jan/Feb or August/September; you've missed your chance for this period though. Outside of these times could prove impossible if you have no experience. Beware of Shane, Geos, Berlitz (Japan), Bridge School and many others (in my opinion). You could land yourself a job in a week if your here or it could take six months; bank on it taking at least three. So, prepare plenty of funds and come over here on a working holiday visa if you can get one, then change to a working visa if your qualified.

Thanks for the input

Nice Gaijin, those are good links, very usefull.
By the way, I noticed you are living in Florida, where are you living ?
Thanks again everyone for your responses, there much appreciated !

Hey Ausi bird

Thanks for the tip,
Odly enough, I am an X Nova teacher. I taught for 2years about 3 years ago. I'm concidering moving back. I have great friends both foreign and Japanese living in Japan. I used to teach near Yokohama in the cool little city of Yamato. I got an email from a student the other day telling me how sad it looked going by the nova school and it was closed and all the furniture was gone. I had to asure her that Nova did not go bust because I resigned.
Are you teaching now ??
I've conciderd going to Geos. Why wouldn't that be a good school ??
Thanks again,

AEON

If your genki then AEON will surely give you a job, so long as you pass the grammar test; they seem to want really young, fun people. I went to the AEON and GEOS interview but was a bit uptight at the time. AEON seemed like an okay company but GEOS seemed like the Gestapo - such a load of stiffs...I wouldn't recommend them, but that is only my opinion. The girl who interviewed me was a right stiff-faced ***** and I was contemplating therapy after their three day interview process. In short, don't bother. Try ECC, they sound better. But again, you've missed the big recruitment phase and will probably have to wait until Jan/Feb next year now. Make sure you look at the fine print as so many of these schools like to screw people around. If you are still keen to come sooner though, check Gaijinpot daily and make sure your CV and photo look spotless and fresh. If your a guy coming over here to find a girlfriend, forget about it unless your Brad Pitt or David Beckham, as even the ugliest girls wont give you the time of day; pale-faced gaijins or wannabe P.Diddies are not in fashion any more. If you have the Bon Jovi look though with that orange sunbed-look, this could be the place for you; Japanese girls love that. But be prepared for culture shock regardless of how much you think you understand Japan.

If your a guy coming over here to find a girlfriend, forget about it unless your Brad Pitt or David Beckham, as even the ugliest girls wont give you the time of day; pale-faced gaijins or wannabe P.Diddies are not in fashion any more.
I disagree. Every man is "Charisma Man" here.

I second Glenski's comment as most anyone, regardless of looks, will sooner or later hook up with a Japanese woman. It's the shallow women who are only concerned with looks and are to be avoided at all costs no matter how good looking they are as you will have your heart broken. The majority of Japanese women care not so much for looks, but for how they are treated.

Back
Top Bottom