What's new

What's Happened To Our Community ??

Grandpa Frank

先輩
21 May 2003
The good ol days weren't that long ago! There were times when I couldn't keep up with the posts, they were coming so hot & heavy. We would have 15 or 20 people all posting back & forth. Why do things seem to have slowed down, any ideas?? Change in the weather, school scheduals, good things on TV, busy with friends? How bout some ideas on how to liven things up! Maybe raid other forums & kidnap interesting members? Steal some fun ideas from other sites? I hate these SLOOOW times & think they drive people elsewhere. Any ideas on how to have continuous action & interest, or is it the impossibe goal?

Frank

:mad:

People are encouraged to be more mindful of what they say, thanks to the reputation thing. So because of that, whatever pops up in a persons head isnt gonna go down in a post without thinking *could this hurt my rep. or help it?*

At least thats what I think.

I think in the time the site was down, we lost some people. Also, I think Winter is right. Because of the reputation thing, thread ratings, and chit chat posts not counting anymore, I think maybe people have kind of lost interest.

Winter said:
People are encouraged to be more mindful of what they say, thanks to the reputation thing. So because of that, whatever pops up in a persons head isnt gonna go down in a post without thinking *could this hurt my rep. or help it?*

At least thats what I think.
And I think I've rated exactly one person's post to date. Is anyone else using it more?

i rate posts on a regular basis.
though if no one even uses it, then it wont matter what people post anyway.

The thing about the rating thing is that if I approve or disapprove, I dont want to anonymously say it; I want to let the person know right off the bat.

Thats probably why I havent rated anything.

I don't think I have ever rated a thread. It just doesn't occur to me (guess I'll try and do better in the future). I have done the reputation rating on individual posts... I also only recently discovered thst function and I never think to check other forumites.

I do like things the way they are re: which posts are counted / rating system. We did loose a number of people in the move. There needs to be a sense of community, but people also need to be encouraged to post things related to the forum - Japan.

Boosting participation while maintaining quality, that is a tricky question...

I don't see how you can be specific about a particular post, anyway, it's basically rating a person's contribution to an entire thread, which may start out well enough but more than that can sometimes degenerate into misinformation or plain stupidity. :p

Well, I think what brings people here in the first place is Japan, right? As people come in and talk to each other, they find that they have other things in common besides Japan and there are other things to talk about other than just subjects pertaining to Japan. I don't think it should be discouraged at all, unless it's just in extremely bad taste and makes no sense whatsoever.

kirei_na_me said:
Well, I think what brings people here in the first place is Japan, right? As people come in and talk to each other, they find that they have other things in common besides Japan and there are other things to talk about other than just subjects pertaining to Japan. I don't think it should be discouraged at all, unless it's just in extremely bad taste and makes no sense whatsoever.

I second that remark.

A whole thread can go to the dogs really fast when one troll gets ahold of it. That is why I stay away from rating entire threads. But the "rate" button in the top right of the text box for a post lets you add to someones individual reputation (or take away if they are being troll-like) that they carry from thread to thread. If I use the button, I'll throw in a comment on why I liked the post. I don't have to agree with the post to give it a good rating - I can just say that the person is furthering the conversation in a constructive and responsible manner, and hopefully this will encourage them to continue.

But I agree with you Elizabeth, like most things when it comes to rating stuff, the user has to be responsible. That is why I don't pay attention to a users overall reputation, but just offer feedback on specific items. A troll with a grudge can be an ugly sight.

You know, the way you put it Mandylion, I'm starting to see the rating thing as like giving a dog a bone.

*dangles rating above salivating posters head* "Here boy, here boy, you doing good boy, you get a rating! Good boy, now keep it up!"

I know I may be taking the metaphor to an extreme, but thats how I'm seeing the ratings now.

All we need next is a 'scratch-the-belly' button.

Winter said:
You know, the way you put it Mandylion, I'm starting to see the rating thing as like giving a dog a bone.

I know I may be taking the metaphor to an extreme, but thats how I'm seeing the ratings now.

Well, I guess in the sense that under the system we would all be dogs who can pass out bones to every other dog, you are correct. :D I don't find anything wrong with that when used responsibly. It is just like counting posts - a form of feedback - but someone has to take the time to click on the button. In theory they might not be the same. Post count is just a statement of fact while reputation is a matter of opinion. But in practice, since many people seems to attach some sort of weight to high post counts, a subjective practice at best, I think they mean much the same thing.

I can see like how Kirei Na Mei said that people who are drawn by a common interest mainly chit chat are an important part of the JREF community and I would be sad to see them go. Maybe there is a way to produce some sort of system of recognition, yet try and encourage more Japan-related postings?

If someone is playing or being a troll in the literal sense of coming to deliberately disparage Japan and cast aspersion on anyone who is interested, which has happened in the past, they should be banned, which has also happened. I'm not convinced that too little is Japan-related, either. For me to give postings a negative rating would probably come more from an instinctive disagreement with the content rather than a lack of so-called standards, which isn't something I really want to start formally judging people on....And those who are doing well I'm sure already know so without bloating their egos any further :p.

THE HECK WITH POINTS & COLORS & TITLES !!

I just want something to fight loneliness & boredom!
If it wasn't for the Forum, I might have to find a life. I'm getting ready for the day I can't escape the house due to illness or old age. It's great to talk & listen(read) with people from all around the world!

Frank
😊

Elizabeth said:
I'm not convinced that too little is Japan-related, either.

I agree, I don't think too few of the posts are Japan related either, which is why I am surprised this is an issue. I feel it is good to talk about it though - keep us on our toes Like Frank, I think most of us are here to pass some time and maybe learn something. I don't take into account a persons post total, reputation, or the number of stars on the thread when I post, but some might find that kind of thing fun. I say keep it for those who care and the rest of us can just ignore it.

I'm all for continuing the posts/reputation question, but is there anything else we can talk about re: Franks original post?

well whenever the admins are able to send bulk emails again like they do with the jref bulletin, i say send one announcing the forum being up again.

My two cents...

When I first came to JapanReference three months ago, I was mesmerized by the camaraderies of the posters here. It became addicting and fun. Soon after, I decided to bump myself up in the Off-Topic forum.

When Maciamo-sama reviewed the posts, I realized that if was not just about the Off-Topic forum. From now on, I posted with conscience, assertion and intelligence.

It's not just about the posting ranks and colored belts, though. It's also about learning more about a country that I want to visit in the future, one that hold a special fondness. Many of the posters I know (you know who you are) feel the same way, and post with an open mind, and an optomistic outlook. And in every fora (not just JapanReference), there will be those who may try to play the trolls, and wreck the integrity of the fora that they are participating in.

I now recognize the fact that JapanReference is trying [for the most part, successfully] to transform into an online community for open-minded, conscious people who want to enjoy life the way they want to. Anyone who says that that isn't purifying or beneficial has to (literally) wake up and smell the orchids.

You Deserve Credit, You're Doing Great!!

Hachiko, you don't know how much I appreciate your efforts at pulling in news articals!! I always feel a little guilty I don't do better. I would much rather bounce off someones else's post then make up my own. Foolish & lazy both, for this "crazy ol guy", to late to change my ways!! You keep up the great work!!

Frank

😄 😄 😄 😄 😄

Frank D. White said:
Hachiko, you don't know how much I appreciate your efforts at pulling in news articals!! I always feel a little guilty I don't do better. I would much rather bounce off someones else's post then make up my own. Foolish & lazy both, for this "crazy ol guy", to late to change my ways!! You keep up the great work!!

Frank

😄 😄 😄 😄 😄

Sankyu, Frank. I will. I aim to please, and I never tired doing it. And THAT, my friend, is the bottom line.
:angryfire :box: 😌

Well I know I am not around much cuz of school, soon i am starting work. Also I spend alot of time with my boyfriend. I know we lost alot of pple cuz of the move. Even when you type up japan forum on the search it this site doesnt appear you actually have to type that vbullietin thing

Back
Top Bottom