What's new

What's going on in New England?

Glenn

一切皆苦
8 Jan 2004
This is amazing. I mean, it's really amazing. For a region that has not had a lot of success in sports throughout history (with the exception of the Celtics run) to all of a sudden have an NFL team that hasn't lost in over a year, a "cursed" baseball team beat its archnemisis to get into the World Series, and then win an amazing game 1, and one of its schools (Boston College) beat a ranked opponent in an amazing comeback, New Englanders must be living right. I mean, there is a good chance that the Red Sox can take the Series and the Pats could win the Super Bowl. If memory serves me correctly, this hasn't happened since the 70s in Pittsburgh when the Steelers, Pirates, and Penguins all won their respective championships in the same year (feel free to correct me if I'm mistaken). This kind of stuff just doesn't happen all that often, and I'd really like to see it. What a time to be a New England sports fan, eh? 😲:D👍

lol so do I, but I never really go for the whole dynasty thing...I like to see the wealth spread around a bit! :)

True, but the NFL does have the salary cap, so I would suspect that some of the stars might not be there too long. It's not like there have been dynasties lately. I guess the closest we came to that was back in '97 and '98 (I believe it was) when the Broncos won back to back Super Bowls. Things have been pretty exciting and interesting lately, seemingly with a new team winning each year.

CC1 said:
It is amazing isn't it! Damn I wish New England would lose tomorrow! LOL
Me too !!! Glenn, if you are a New Englander by birth or breeding you should have said as much. This whole thread certainly isn't very sensitive to those of us who live much closer to teams lately beaten by New England clubs, such as Notre Dame and the Cardinals....:angryfire: :mad:

Elizabeth said:
Me too !!! Glenn, if you are a New Englander by birth or breeding you should have said as much. This whole thread certainly isn't very sensitive to those of us who live much closer to teams lately beaten by New England clubs, such as Notre Dame and the Cardinals....:angryfire: :mad:

Haha. Sorry. Actually, I'm neither, but I went to school in Boston for four years. Aside from just being thrilled that the Red Sox beat the Yankees in probably the most humiliating way possible (I hate the Yankees, in case you couldn't tell), I'm mostly looking at this as an objective observer, though. Even being a Notre Dame and Cardinals fan (you forgot the Colts 😲 but that was week one), you have to admit that it seems that there is something in the water up there right now.

I'm not a huge baseball fan, but seeing the Red Sox beat the crap out of the hated Yankees after loosing the first three games was pretty cool. 👍 I was watching the last game of the series in a bar in Seattle and the place was going wild cheering for Boston and booing the Yankees, especially Alex Rodriguez because he left Seattle to go to New York. I think most of the country is cheering on the Red Sox right now.

Brooker said:
I was watching the last game of the series in a bar in Seattle and the place was going wild cheering for Boston and booing the Yankees, especially Alex Rodriguez because he left Seattle to go to New York.

I thought he went to New York by way of Ft. Worth (Texas Rangers).

Alls I know is that he used to play here and now he plays there and people here don't like him no more. :angryfire

Brooker said:
Alls I know is that he used to play here and now he plays there and people here don't like him no more. :angryfire:

Haha. Well, that's fair. I didn't like Jason Giambi for going to the Yankees from Oakland, and I'm not an Oakland fan. I guess it doesn't matter how they get there; just being there is enough. :D:D

Well, to the dismay of some (CC1 and Elizabeth), the Pats have won again, preserving their record streak. We've yet to see how the Sox will fair tonight, though. I'll update that later. :)

LOL, Yeah Glenn I saw the game this morning. It was a close one (they all have been lately!) New England is not really a good team...I mean they don't lead in any one category, but they play so well as a unit on both sides of the ball it is hard to beat them! I thought that the Jets had a chance in the 4th though, but they just couldn't punch it in!
Oh well, I'll just sit down now and root for the Sox. I don't hate all New England teams...I am a Colts fan (NFL) and a Sox fan for baseball! I loved watching the series with the Yanks, I just hope that Manny has his head on straight today (as well as the rest of the Sox) They can't expect to make 4 errors and beat the Cards like they did yesterday! :p Hope that Shillings ankle holds up!

You saw the game live from Japan? Do you have satellite TV or something?

Glenn said:
You saw the game live from Japan? Do you have satellite TV or something?

I have satellite, but even the NFL ticket is delayed here. I live close enough to a military base that I can receive their arial feed on UHF antenna! 😌
Of course I had to get up at 2am to watch the Colts/Jags game, then the Pats/Jets came on at 4am...luckily I'm off today! :D

*edit* If you have a BS satellite, sometimes the bigger games are broadcast here in Japan. I don't have one here, but when I visit my mother-in-law I am able to watch the games.

I think it's only natural that New England (and New York) should be better at many thing sthat other US regions as it is one of the most densely populated area of the US.

It's a bit like explaining why the Netherlands usually get statistics similar to the UK or Italy in the Olympic Games, in Football, or in non sport-related things (total ODA, colonial empire, etc.) with a population 4x smaller.

Update: The Red Sox take Game 2 by a final of 6-2. They committed four errors again, but I guess the best defense is a good offense. :D

Maciamo said:
I think it's only natural that New England (and New York) should be better at many thing sthat other US regions as it is one of the most densely populated area of the US.

It's a bit like explaining why the Netherlands usually get statistics similar to the UK or Italy in the Olympic Games, in Football, or in non sport-related things (total ODA, colonial empire, etc.) with a population 4x smaller.

Not so natural as you think. I could see perhaps a link between big markets having more revenue, but money doesn't always equal winning. By the way, players rarely play for their hometown teams. The New England Patriots seem to like drafting players from my area, for example, with one of them being from my hometown. Players also move around frequently, either by trade or free agency (usually for more money). Even in college sports you'll find that players come from far away to play for certain teams.

Also, while the New York Yankees have won quite a few World Series in recent years, the Giants, Jets, and Bills haven't won Super Bowls in a while (I don't think at all in the Bills' case). Teams that have had dynasties in the NFL are Pittsburgh, San Francisco, Dallas, and Green Bay. These aren't necessarily big market teams, but they sure did have a lot of success.

CC1 said:
I have satellite, but even the NFL ticket is delayed here. I live close enough to a military base that I can receive their arial feed on UHF antenna! 😌
Of course I had to get up at 2am to watch the Colts/Jags game, then the Pats/Jets came on at 4am...luckily I'm off today! :D

*edit* If you have a BS satellite, sometimes the bigger games are broadcast here in Japan. I don't have one here, but when I visit my mother-in-law I am able to watch the games.

Wow, staying up late to watch NFL football. That's so foreign to me. The latest I've stayed up was to catch the end of Monday night games, but I think it seems later than it was, cause I was a kid then. Nowadays they don't seem to go as late.

By the way, that Colts/Jags game was pretty crazy, eh? I wanted to Colts to win, but I guess you can't win 'em all unless you're the Pats, eh? :D:D

Glenn said:
Wow, staying up late to watch NFL football. That's so foreign to me. The latest I've stayed up was to catch the end of Monday night games, but I think it seems later than it was, cause I was a kid then. Nowadays they don't seem to go as late.

By the way, that Colts/Jags game was pretty crazy, eh? I wanted to Colts to win, but I guess you can't win 'em all unless you're the Pats, eh? :D:D

Actuall I got up early! I got home from work yesterday at 5pm, ate dinner with the family, helped get the kids to bed, then went to sleep at 9:30pm. I'm used to it now, I've been doing the same thing for 8 years now

CC1 said:
Actuall I got up early! I got home from work yesterday at 5pm, ate dinner with the family, helped get the kids to bed, then went to sleep at 9:30pm. I'm used to it now, I've been doing the same thing for 8 years now

Well, that's even more foreign, then! Getting up early to me means 8 a.m. Anything before that is more like taking a nap at a strange time! :D:D

[Edit] Yeah, I'm an idiot. I just saw that you said that in the original message that you had to get up to catch the game at four. Oh well, I'm pretty sure I got the rest right. 😊😌

Glenn, No sweat! I'm just lucky that I have a job where I can have Monday's off...it allows me to get up early and see the games! I need to knock out now for a few hours...Gotta be at work at midnight today! :(

So, this is a bit late, but Boston takes Game 3, 4-1. The Sox are now up 3-0. Tonight they have their first shot at the title, and a shot at a sweep. That would be a pretty crazy way to "reverse the curse," eh?

Glenn said:
So, this is a bit late, but Boston takes Game 3, 4-1. The Sox are now up 3-0. Tonight they have their first shot at the title, and a shot at a sweep. That would be a pretty crazy way to "reverse the curse," eh?

LOL yeah that would be a great way to do it! I'm rooting for the Sox, I've been rooting for them for a few years now, even though I am a Braves fan at heart. I saw about 3 innings of yesterdays game before I dozed off (I got off work at 8am and the game started at 9:30am here :( )

I'm gonna try to watch today's game, but I got roped into helping my friend teach her daycare about Halloween! (she is Japanese, and so are all of the kids) Yesterday I went over and carved a pumpkin and made a headless body for decorations...should be interesting, but my mind will truly be on the game today! :p

Well, I got back today in time for the 5th inning. Now it is in the 8th with the Sox leading 3-0....looks like Boston has done it and the curse is over. Also looks like Boston is going to win 8 straight playoff games...nice job

GO BOSTON!

Is it true that they bulldozed Babe Ruth's house in Boston to erase the curse?

Either way, WAY TO GO SOX. :p

Anyone notice the lunar eclipse RED moon the night of the last game? Spoooky.

Back
Top Bottom