What's new

What's considered gay ?

Hezam

Out of Service
24 Aug 2007
I was hesitating to post this topic but i wanted to educate my self if i go abroad especially the west countries...
I watched many movies and sometimes the movies include some gay acts,I relised the big different between the Middle Eastern culture and the western,for example:
In the west if a guy kissed another guy it's considered gay =_= ...
But here it's not like that,in our culture when we meet a friend after long time we hug and kiss << Lol it sounds funny
Also,i read a thread in JREF about holding hands,it's considered gay too !! All guys here and in Yemen hold each others' hands but not all the way...

What else......
Yeah i watched a comedian movie with a guy from Ozbakistan i think,he traveled to the US and in the train he shaked someone's hand and tried to kiss him,the american guy poshed him and says "swear i will break your neck as$hole" :D

Please share your information...

You are right, in the western countries hold hands and kiss a man it´s considered gay but not hug, with two guys are happy about somethink they can hug and nobody calls them gay.
But i think that the only way to tell that someone are gay is with one guy have sexual relations with another guy...

Regi is right...in my country a kiss between two men makes them automatically gays in the eyes of other people...hug is OK (or it depends on situation)...holding hands would be considered weird between too men here. I am writing how it is...not my personal opinion.

hmm, if I see two people of the same sex kissing, or holding hands, my first thought is "they're gay" (though I know that's not necessarily the case)... with hugging, it depends on the circumstances. That's kind of weird, because I'm bi myself... social conditioning I guess...

Many Eastern Bloc politicians customarily kissed each other on the lips upon greeting each other. After the communist regime came to an end, the same party (in Hungary) that formed a government just a brief while ago poked fun of the custom as part of its campaign programme, comparing it to two young persons of the opposite sex kissing. Whether it purported to portray the practice as a homosexual thing, no clue, could very well be poking fun of the age of the politicians involved.

Last edited:
Many Eastern Bloc politicians customarily kissed each other on the lips upon greeting each other.
No not on the lips ..Lol

I think in France they kiss each others the same way here ?

No not on the lips ..Lol

FIDESZ_tessek_valasztani_1990-1.jpg

This is not like in middle East !! This is disgusting...
But the second picture is not what we mean,anyway this is not like middle eastern tradnation.

Sorry i worte it wrong,Yes i know it's eastern european countires...Lol i don't know why i wrote it Western instead Eastern :/

Stephen Fry once suggested on QI that it was fine here for men to kiss, link arms and hold hands until Oscar Wilde was sentenced to two years' hard labour after being convicted of "gross indecency". Perhaps men were afraid that they would be suspected of homosexuality, which was then illegal, if they showed any signs of affection towards other men. Seems plausible.

Hezam, those countries are in the estern part of Europe.
From Middle East, any European countries are in the west, but when talking about Europe alone, these countries are in the east. ;-)
(Hungary, Czech and other countries are now more commonly referred to as "Central Europe" but they used to be called "East Europe".)

I agree...as a Czech I can say that we prefer "Central Europe" or at least "Middle-eastern Europe"...of course the best is "the heart of Europe" xD...I think we really don't like to be associated with Russia or Eastern Europe...it's probably because a lot of people all around the world thinks we're Russians and that the Czech Republic is in Siberia xD

I was hesitating to post this topic but i wanted to educate my self if i go abroad especially the west countries...
I watched many movies and sometimes the movies include some gay acts,I relised the big different between the Middle Eastern culture and the western,for example:
In the west if a guy kissed another guy it's considered gay =_= ...
But here it's not like that,in our culture when we meet a friend after long time we hug and kiss << Lol it sounds funny
Also,i read a thread in JREF about holding hands,it's considered gay too !! All guys here and in Yemen hold each others' hands but not all the way...
What else......
Yeah i watched a comedian movie with a guy from Ozbakistan i think,he traveled to the US and in the train he shaked someone's hand and tried to kiss him,the american guy poshed him and says "swear i will break your neck as$hole" :D
Please share your information...

You know... there is a difference between hugging someone, and kissing them. Hug is a gesture of friendship, or simply, a gesture of excitement (not in a way you're all thinking haha!). Example, guys watching football - their team scores, they'll be jumping, hugging... that is NOT gay.

Now... I've noticed guys in India too like to sit in each others lap, hold hands... kiss. Now, that's kind of creepy because it gives me a wrong impression of the Indian/Arab society as a hole. A man and a woman cannot do that on the street, it is strictly forbidden, but two guys can? So, let's say, two gay guys do it, who would know they're gay? Nobody. If that is acceptable, nobody can accuse them of being gay, even if they are, and they can freely express their feelings, while straight couples cannot. That's confusing for us Westerners.

hey Hezam I lived in Jordan and UAE and I can tell you what we Arabian girls think...first of all 2 guys can hug but not for too long coz then it'll be weird, 2 guys can kiss each other on the cheek its the normal way to greet friends in here....and as for holding hands and sitting on each others laps...its just gay >_<
not that I have anything against gays or anything...gays are cool ^_^

You'll be considered gay in the US if you kiss or hold hands with another guy. And you'll be treated badly for it by some people.

Men can give each other hugs if they're family or close friends, without being considered gay. I will hug my mother and kiss her on the cheek, but only hug my father, when greeting them or saying goodbye.

.and as for holding hands and sitting on each others laps...its just gay
Of course,who in the earth would do that !! only gay.

By the way Linn,the flag in your profile is not UAE it's bahrain !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
UAE%20-%20Dubai.gif

Of course,who in the earth would do that !! only gay.
By the way Linn,the flag in your profile is not UAE it's bahrain !!!!!!!!!

yeah I know I believe they dont have UAE's flag in here...the flag's name in the url is "UAE%20-%20Dubai.gif"
weird huh?

yeah I know I believe they dont have UAE's flag in here...the flag's name in the url is "UAE%20-%20Dubai.gif"
weird huh?
Sorry i just got it,Every Emarah in UAE has it's own flag just like the united states.

Stephen Fry once suggested on QI that it was fine here for men to kiss, link arms and hold hands until Oscar Wilde was sentenced to two years' hard labour after being convicted of "gross indecency". Perhaps men were afraid that they would be suspected of homosexuality, which was then illegal, if they showed any signs of affection towards other men. Seems plausible.

Well, I support gay rights, marriage, the whole thing... but as a straight guy I simply don't WANT to kiss or link arms :D Besides... I can't even get away with that with girls, so trying that with burly guys seems like a bad idea :(

Be it man or woman, too much touchiness gets on my nerves, and even disgusts me at times, except when it's a dear friend who I haven't seen for long, or a lover.

Well, I support gay rights, marriage, the whole thing... but as a straight guy I simply don't WANT to kiss or link arms :D Besides... I can't even get away with that with girls, so trying that with burly guys seems like a bad idea :(

I wonder whether straight men's aversion for physical contact with each other is in part caused by the fact that it's not acceptable behaviour in western culture.

Be it man or woman, too much touchiness gets on my nerves, and even disgusts me at times, except when it's a dear friend who I haven't seen for long, or a lover.

I'm just the same. I have a personal space of about a metre, and the only people allowed inside it are my husband and my nieces. I find it extremely uncomfortable even to sit next to other people.

Back
Top Bottom