What's new

What's a getting married like in Japan?

A fellow in my class...

went to meet his in-laws over the holidays. I see him for the first time at class tomorrow night; can't wait to hear how it went !
I wish you all good luck in your adventure !

Frank

🙂

Arigato gozaimasu!

First time i met the folks was a bit weird! Her mum just stared at me and then after five minutes said "HE HAS RED HAIR!!!" her dad and i got on really well when he found i was willing to make an effort with the etiquette and i was actually learning Japanese too. I guess it showed him i was serious!😄

You had better luck than me !!!

My girl was from a small town. Her dad had passed away and her older brother (20) filled in for dad. I waited outside while Yoshiko went in to prepare the meeting. I waited & waited ! I heard a noise at the side of the house and looked around the corner. There's Yoshiko looking out her bedroom window, her mom and brother locked her in her bedroom.
NO way was their daughter having anything to do with a foreigner !!
3 months later I finally got to meet her family and we had kind of a truce.As it turned out later, she refused to leave her mom to go to the states, so bye bye !

Frank

😊

That's too bad, i;m sorry to hear that. I was grilled on all sorts of things, like Japan's history my "proper" intentions towards his daughter etc, etc. We weren't actually engaged at this point because i wanted to do it properly, y'know ask face to face for permission.🙂

Back
Top Bottom