What's new

What winter sports are you into?

misa.j

先輩
6 May 2004
After living in the Adirondack Mountains for over 7 years, I'm starting to get addicted to being in nature even though I was not much of an outdoor person in Japan and used to think that climbing the mountains is such a pointless activity.

I have been cross-country skiing for the last two winters, and I am going to start snowshoeing in the mountains so that I can keep hiking during the winter.

Being outside and taking advantage of the winter makes the cold and dreadful weather go by so much quicker.
Having hot food after exercising in the cold is very rewarding, too.

Do you have any activities you enjoy in the winter? Snowboard, downhill-skiing, ice climbing, ice skating etc?

I'm a speed demon on the ice rink! I also wrestle. (which is technically a winter sport):)

I Have.....

become very good at rising high in the air to then fall on my butt on icy spots. 2 hour wrestling matches with the snowblower follow snow storms of more then 5 inchs. Temps below 30 and windy days mean a fight with putting on 3 layers of cloths heavy coats & boots, good for a 45 minute fight. Think I'll move to Miami to miss out on these winter sports!

:p

Watching TV, eating snacks, drinking beer, painting, reading ... generally pottering about the house ... and checking the thermostat from time to time.

Anything to keep happy and warm until the blossoms form on the trees .... !

ニ淡ニ停?。ニ停?

We don't really have a winter any more, a little snow, and a little ice.. I hope the ice will be good this year, than im sure i will be skating on nature ice again!!!

I've never done it, but the tubing seems awsome, especially if you make the hills that you can jump on and float in the air.

Snowmobiles, on the other hand, I really can't stand those things. I had one of them cutting cross my lawn so many times last year. I think they only should be used for transportation or resucues where snow is so deep that the only access is by snowmobiles.

Does shoveling snow count? Nahh! Guess not. I'm too smart to actually be out in the cold participating in winter sports, but I could watch skiing, skating and stuff like that all day long from the climate controlled comfort of my living room!

:D

My neighbor & I have invented .....

snowblower war games. I blow all my snow into his driveway; he comes out later and blows it back. When we get tied of that, we team up and blow it all into the neighbor's without a snowblower. He cheats and has his son come plow.

Frank

😊

Well, how about a wintertime game I've come to call, "Parking Space Monopoly". This game is played only after copious amounts of snow (six inches or more) have fallen. The object is to move your car from it's parking space on your block and dream up ingenious devices to use in order to reserve your spot for when you return. Objects have ranged from trash cans, sawhorses, traffic cones, chaise loungers, barbecue grills, file cabinets, busted TV sets, once even a full blow sofa was used. The sky's the limit! It's always great fun to what people use to reserve their spots, and it's even more fun to see others remove said items and take the spots anyway. The fistfights that result from that are always entertaining. Yep, only in the big city!

That game sounds crafty, Jeff! It kind of reminds me of an incident I heard from my friend whose brother is a fire fighter in NYC.

He busted through the windows of some guy's Mercedes that was parked right in front of a fire hydrant. The car was soaked inside and outside. The owner of the car was so mad and tried to complain, but my friend's brother gave a damn about it.

Well, I went skiing for the first time this winter, but I had to turn back after about 200 feet because there was hardly enough snow. I could hear my skies grinding on the stones... It was bad.

Well, that's the way it's like in the inner city. Parking spaces become precious as gold after a big snow, and people hoard them something awful. Fistfights are not at all uncommon when it comes to those treasured spaces. Pretty wild to say the least!

Back
Top Bottom