What's new

What will I need for internet connection in Japan?

jellofish

後輩
20 Feb 2010
I am going to Japan for an exchange program,
here's what I am told:

"If you have a personal computer with LAN connect interface and a LAN cable, you are able to access the internet throught the limited-speed cable LAN conection service in your room at no charge."

So what is a (1)LAN connect interface and (2)LAN cable?
If I buy them in USA, will I be able to use them in Japan.

LAN cable is a cable (wire) to connect your computer with LAN (local area network).
Looks like this.
Onlineshop for Real Estate Properties – Property Management
You can buy it either in the US or in Japan.

If your computer has this kind of port, your computer has LAN interface which enables you to connect to internet.
081213_lanboard-1.jpg
ps-1.jpg

I use my laptop in Japan all the time when I travel there and have been able to use WiFi without a problem. The only issue I have ever had was using a US version of windows and trying to run the software forthe internet provider. Some times instead of getting kanji you get ooooo because the computer doesn't recognize what the program is trying to say. However your internet provider should be able to help you set up your account... mine did.

LAN cables are the same internationally so no worries there, only thing you may have to think about is the power plug... you know how American plugs sometimes have one side bigger/fatter than the other? Japans sockets do not accomidate that larger side. Look for an adapter that has both sides being the same size.... If you don't know what I am talking about look at the plugs in your house and you will notice what I am talking about.

Have fun in Japan and I hope this also helps you.

Back
Top Bottom