What's new

What were your favorite subjects in school?

What was your best subject in school?

• Mathematics

Votes: 9 27.3%
  • Sciences (physics, chemistry, biology)

Votes: 11 33.3%
  • History

Votes: 9 27.3%
  • Language (your native)

Votes: 6 18.2%
  • Foreign Language

Votes: 16 48.5%
  • Literature & philosophy

Votes: 1 3.0%
  • Music

Votes: 7 21.2%
  • Physical Ed.

Votes: 5 15.2%
  • Sociology

Votes: 4 12.1%
  • Geography

Votes: 5 15.2%
  • Psychology

• Workshop

• Graphic Arts

Votes: 8 24.2%
  • Other

Votes: 3 9.1%

• Total voters
history and science. im not keen on writing so english is out and well math is illogical so thumbs down. i liked german and media technology. media tech was shooting and editing video. made so many stupid music videos in that class.

I forgot to add shop to the list.

For those who didn't go to school in the U.S., shop doesn't mean the teacher hands you money and gives you a list of item to go out and buy. It's more like industrial arts: metal, ceramic, plastics, printing, etc.

Would've been more fun if it were going out shopping! I would've gotten an "A"

Mine were math, science, foreign language, and music. I guess if language means the grammar and rules out the literature part, then I could say that too. I wasn't really big on literature. Phys. ed. would probably have been my worst; in fact, it kept me off of the honor roll of excellence (all A's)!

By the way, Jeisan, how is math illogical? I've never heard anyone say that before.

Voted "other" since I'm not sure of the education system used for the poll. Science probably means "natural sciences", I suppose!?
Anyway, my favourite subjects (mathematics & history) were different from the best one (French). That was only on secondary school level 1, on level 2 the favourite was biology, while the best was math.

Golgo_13 said:
I forgot to add shop to the list.

For those who didn't go to school in the U.S., shop doesn't mean the teacher hands you money and gives you a list of item to go out and buy. It's more like industrial arts: metal, ceramic, plastics, printing, etc.

I suppose you mean "workshop". We also have that in Europe. In my school it was a 2h/week option only in second form of secondary school (AmE = 2nd grade of junior high school).

I also added Geography (compulsory for everybody in Europe), sociology and psychology (both options, usually).

I would have prefered if you had separated sciences into phypics, chemistry and biology. In my school, we could choose the number of hours for each of them in the 2 last years. Every school has different programs, but we could basically choose 1 or 3h or each, with a minimum of 3h and maximum of 7h/week for sciences. I had 3h chemistry, 1h physics and 1h biology.

Except science, I voted for history and geography. 👍

As for foreign languages, I had very different feelings depending on the languages itself (hated Latin, but Spanish was alright) and my age. Usually I didn't like learning languages at school as it was ineffective and we couldn't choose our method, topics, etc. (and had to study for some stupid test). I love learning languages, but by myself, not at school.

I also added "literature & philosophy", which is basically included in "your native language", but in high school - while elementary and junior high school are more about learning about grammar, composition, etc. That may of course depend on the school and the country, and if I doubt that many non European actually have philosophy included in their curriculum, I guess most English-speakers will at least study Shakespeare and co.

I didn't have psychology and sociology before university. I love psychology, but I had a very bad and boring sociology professor who almost digusted me of the subject, although I make my own social and cultural analysis regarding the Japanese society. :)

Last edited:
I'm guessing that "science" means all sciences taught in grade school. For me, that was general science (I guess that's the same as natural science), physics, chemistry, and biology. Of those, my best were physics and chemistry.

Sociology. The subject is just incredibly interesting to me. And it doesn't hurt that the class analyzes the sociology in movies 24/7.

yeah i liked geography too, was fairly good at it. wish we wouldve learned more about asian cultrues in school as much as we did about europe.

Spanish (although mostly on my own initiative), biology, psychology and English literature (Japanese at the uni level). 👍

Last edited:
I voted English, Japanese and Art.

But I guess If I had to choose one it would be art. Painting, sculpture, photography -fun!

Well I learned to dislike French quickly, as I had a REAL French guy who was kind of famous, he had CD's he made, he spoke like 17 diff languages, he was the funniest guy, but boy was he mean!

My favorite classes had to be, computer class (any of them, I took everyone offered), Civics, World Geography and Philosophy.

Now that I think about it, I had been thinking that this was about K-12, but I guess college counts as well? In that case, I could add astronomy to the sciences. And if you want to get specific about music, harmony and theory were my strongest.

Biology!

I loved the field work. My favorite was A.P. Bio, Senior year. We got to collect fungus, A.K.A. some tasty mushrooms, and eat them later. Plus we got to do interesting things like look at cadavers, take things apart, etc. It helped alot that my teacher was crazy. He had an old guy come into class one day dressed as Charles Darwin. He was from the historical society and gave a cool lecture, followed by coffee and snacks.

:D

In High School, I used to like Physical Education (since it was easy), and Math, since I was good at it. But when came university, Math because mostly based on tests that deteremined the grade, and I'm not one that's usually too great in that, so I started to dislike it. I always liked learning Japanese, High School and Univeristy.

I like... Science, Maths, Art, Music, and actually nearly all subjects, if they are not that boring like english classes... I'm just sitting in class the whole time... v.v; doing nothing in particular... *sighs*

Busology: The fine art of getting the hell outta Dodge at the end of the school day, and managing to stay a step ahead the hordes of kids burning rubber off their sneakers to do the same thing!

But seriously, I loved History, especially World War II. Most of my term papers while in high school were on that topic. And nothing's changed today as I religiously watch the History Channel and can watch anything on WWII all day long!

:)

Back
Top Bottom