What's new

What Should I Bring???

Keeni84

先輩
25 Oct 2003
Hey guys! I've been really stressing about all the things I should bring to Japan, or if I should bring that much at all!!

Do you think I should bring a lot of clothes, or just buy clothes when I get there? Do you think I should bring my appliances (like a flat iron, blow dryer--and just get an adapter from like Radio Shack) or should I just buy stuff there???

What are things like makeup like? Do they have all different shades, especially for darker folks (I'm tan/brown black girl).

I mean, they gave us a list of all the things that we should bring---but I took one look at it and realized that this list has been formulated for the average OU student that goes abroad to Japan---which isn't like me, I can tell ya that much!

Also, can someone please explain to me what the heck Shibuya 109 is?

Thanks a lot! Sorry, this thread might sound a little rushed, but I am totaly freaking out here!!! 😲

窶堋?窶堙ィ窶堋ェ窶堙??堋、窶堋イ窶堋エ窶堋「窶堙懌?堋キツ!

Hmm well a little bit of advice would be try to bring absolutely everything you need, because if you just buy it all in Japan I can gurantee it'll burn a whole in your wallet.

Shibuya 109 is one of the coolest places in all of Tokyo, you'll find allll the shops there.

Sorry wouldn't know about make up.:D

窶堋?窶堙ィ窶堋ェ窶堙??堋、窶堋イ窶堋エ窶堋「窶堙懌?堋キツ!ツ!ツ!

What would I do without you???

OMG, that looks so cool! I'm from a small town, so I really don't get to see things like this on an everyday basis! Wow! I hope I don't get too overwhelmed by it all.

😄

I think it would be best to bring your make -up with you, although in places like Tokyo you can find just about anything..... but at a price.

Also.... are you tall? or... big boned? It's very very very hard to find clothes for women larger than the average Japanese. I'm very short and petite so it's been heaven here for me, but some average-tall western women find next to nothing in shops - even in Tokyo.

Do you have curly hair? Hair products are made for straight or permed hair, which can dry out and frizz curly hair. I really really wish I had brought more stuff from home!

Basically, bring anything that is really important to you!

No, I am short and average sized---close maybe to a Japanese girl. Maybe a littler "curvier" in some areas. :)

I have curly hair, of course. It is long--down my back. Is that going to be a problem, do you think????

Thanks a lot!

Originally posted by Keeni84
No, I am short and average sized---close maybe to a Japanese girl. Maybe a littler "curvier" in some areas. :)

I have curly hair, of course. It is long--down my back. Is that going to be a problem, do you think????

Thanks a lot!

Nice to meet a fellow curly on this board!
Having curly hair in Japan is only difficult if you have a strict hair routine. As all shampoos, conditioners and hair products are made for Japanese straight hair (and their hair is totally different in thickness and texture) it can be drying for our sensitive curly hair...... dryness = frizziness which we don't want :p
I survive by using heaps of conditioner and products designed for permed curly hair.
btw www.naturallycurly.com is quite a good site if you don't already go there ;)

By the way, some "curvier" foreign women in Japan find it difficult to get correct sized bras.... you might want to bring enough with you.... just a thought. Sadly, this is not a problem for me......

Originally posted by Keeni84
Ha ha ha, why "sadly"????

Anyway, thanks for the info! :)

I believe that she is saying that she would like certain features to be more pronounced, if you get my drift.

Oh my god!! that photo of Shibuya 109 looks amazing!!!!!! I think i would faint if i was there!!!! I would be in Porl shop heaven i think!!!!wooooo!!!!! :D

makes note to try and go to tokyo to see that shopping center/district.

Porl''

how long is one planning to stay in japan?
ie: if i'm staying for three days, i bring three sets of clothes -- less to lug around on the subway/bus/walk

"OMG, that looks so cool! I'm from a small town, so I really don't get to see things like this on an everyday basis! Wow! I hope I don't get too overwhelmed by it all."

Heh when I went to new york it was a huge shock. You could get lost in the buildings easy let alone outside =/

Hi,

I plan to move soon to Japan too. And i am thinking about what to bring there. What about all the eletrical stuff such as iron, lamps ? I live in France and i don't know if it's the same plugs, or system over there.
And same for my computer, Tv, Hi Fi stuff ...?
If everybody has the answer or can tell me where to serach on the net, it would be great !

Thanks a lot

Dso

yeah, sorry to be so nosy, but i'm trying not to give people the wrong info
a year? and female? in that case, i really don't know. take everything
i like to travel light, and buy what i need when i get there (body paper), but some people don't

"What about all the eletrical stuff such as iron, lamps ? I live in France and i don't know if it's the same plugs, or system over there.
And same for my computer, Tv, Hi Fi stuff ...?"
i think i know the answer to that, but there are some know-it-alls around here, and i want to see what they will say first
but it's a good question, and it has been noted, somebody will SURELY answer it definitively

Why should I bring contraceptives? Don't they have them in Japan? Or is there a stigma about that?

Keeni, I envy you coming to Japan for the first time. You seem like the sort of person who will really dive into it head first, and have a great time. No, you don't need to bring much... maybe just a few things like make-up, and shampoo, if you have certain brands that you really prefer. You should be able to buy almost anything you want in Japan, and it's not as expensive as it used to be. There are discount shops now.

Ah, Mathew! 窶堋?窶堙ィ窶堋ェ窶堙??堋、窶堋イ窶堋エ窶堋「窶堙懌?堋キツ!ツ!ツ!

I think I am going to have so much fun, while learning, too. I do have to go to college, as well!

:)

for real, a year, anything can and will happen
i always leave something at home by accident (this last trip was the first time i didn't have any regrets -- as far as packing) anyway
one thing to think about is taking a bag, sitting it in an undisturbed corner of the house
everytime using a toiletry/hygenic/necessary item, take note of it
either put it in the bag to take, and go buy a replacement to use (up until the trip)
or buy a small travel size version to use until a deal on same/bigger item is found in japan
i find fatigue is my biggest enemy when traveling (making bad desicions, alertness/awareness is decreased), so i like i said, me like to travel alap
shipping all of that stuff to the future address (in advance) doesn't sound that bad to me...

-about the contraceptives...

They're not really needed, just a matter of personal preference. All should be warned Japanese condoms are...... small. (no joke)
That being said, would you really want to try and buy pills and such at a Japanese drugstore? I'd assume save the trouble and bring my own with me.

I don't know if you are allowed to take pills, etc. across international lines and into some countries. I remember in the CZ you weren't allowed to have even some non-prescription pills.

Does anyone have any more information about that?

Also, I tried to find some info on the pill in Japan, but all it talks about is the 1999 case where the pill was finally allowed (legally) into Japan.

naw. they are scrutinizing foreigners heavily (imo) for that stuff
i was being indirect cause i don't wanna hurt nobody's feelings (most of the time :) especially when they trying to help)
sometimes they search my backpack/luggage, sometimes they don't
i had typed a lot of links but the forum broke wind, i got mad and left for an hour or two

Back
Top Bottom