What's new

What Is Your Occupation Now?

at UPS loading trucks on the midnight shift, more like a workout than a job, and i do graphic design on the side.

5 1/2 months in the 8% ranks of the unemployed with no prospects in sight :D woo hoo, no wonder I know nothing :(

Me too, Den4!!! Kirei_na_me, I'd love to take that babysitting job, only I live in California. Are travel expenses included? :D Normally, I'm a litigation paralegal, but like Den4, I am currently out of work. Hence, my spending so much time at Forums! 😄

I can relate, being unemployed! But I can also empathize with you about high school ... that was tough at times!

was a general office slave / trained monkey in New Zealand..... now in Japan... teaching English - my own conversation classes. There's a lot of negative comments about teaching english on places like JapanToday, but I love teaching ;) I keep it friendly and relaxed. It's great way to make friends too.
I do miss my office job though.... it was great to get paid for drinking coffee and chatting hehe....

actually i heard the unemployment rate was up to 16% now. but i feel for you guys, id been out of work for months before landing my current job last month, thank god for ramen noodles.

Originally posted by nzueda
was a general office slave / trained monkey in New Zealand..... now in Japan... teaching English - my own conversation classes. There's a lot of negative comments about teaching english on places like JapanToday, but I love teaching ;) I keep it friendly and relaxed. It's great way to make friends too.
I do miss my office job though.... it was great to get paid for drinking coffee and chatting hehe....

nice to hear somebody that enjoys teaching English as opposed to engrish... :D

where do you teach at? hope you don't have to get stuck in the morning rush hour trains of Tokyo.... :(

Thanks, Jeisan. I actually went through this last year as well due to the effects on the economy following 9/11. Then I was employed for a while, and now I find myself out of work again during a time that our country is at war. Not the best of luck lately!!
:eek:

Computer Science. Pretty hard stuff, but eh, I don't really have anything better to do. I just like learning Japanese at school. :p

Den, I live in the bottom of Kyushu in a small town called Hayato. I teach in my apartment and also at some students houses. Living in the country means I don't make as much ツ? as gaijin who live in big cities .... so I guess it's a good thing I enjoy it!

If I did have to use the trains (not that we have rush hour in Hayato!!) I wa given this cute keychain, that has a button you press and it yells out 3 times " kora-! chikan wa yamero-" I guess literally it means "hey don't be a pervert" hehe

A pilot! How fun!! I hear flying those Air Force planes are better than driving the best sports cars at top speeds. :)

Male Nurse - Not Gay !

I take care of men in their home. CNA/HHA . Usually they have just been released form a nursing home or hospital. They usually are in bad shape and can't get out of bed. Some are going to get better, but most are dying. My job usually is to help the family caregivers out as much as the patient, they need a break ! I usually finish up by noon and then go home and be a "house husband" to give my hardworking wife a break. I change a lot of dirty dipers and wash under a lot of foreskins. Funny part is I never had kids dipers to deal with, just adults. I try to stay with my patients long term and usually become part of the family after a while. I stay in touch with the widows when I lose a patient and try and help them transfer over to their new lives. Like many people I spent my younger years taking from life and now as I get older, I'm trying to give back. The reference to GAY in my subject line isn't ment to be bad, just for some reason people seem to think male nurses are all gay ??

Frank

Wow, Frank, the work you do is really commendable! And you do it with such a big heart!! That's so nice of you to even help widows through their transitions. Not many people go the extra mile like that. It must be so rewarding helping others as you do.

I know I always enjoyed working on plaintiff personal injury and product liability cases where our firm was dedicated to helping those who had been injured through someone else's negligence or by someone's defective product. It was very rewarding. I have even had clients contact me long after I left a particular law firm, because we had established such a caring friendship in the process. Oftentimes, attorneys don't know how to relate to the clients very well, but as a paralegal, I am able to reach them on a more understanding and human level. What I never enjoyed was working for firms that practiced insurance defense, otherwise known as criminal defense! Just can't relate to that type of mentality--money over humanity. I'll take a job that helps others any day!!

:)

Back
Top Bottom