What's new

What is your intention to pass JLPT?

Honestly, I don't.

This is my first post here, but let me explain...

I was sent to Japan as a "youth" (read: 19) in the military. After a couple months, I met someone. Before my 4 year contract was up, we were married and I was already into "adulthood" in Japan.

Under the stricter Japanese immigration laws, I would've needed to become skilled in Japanese in order to become permanent.

However, that was moot at the time because here and there, I'd accept a SOFA job position, subsequently restarting my 10 year clock (had to be on a visa for 10 years to be considered).

I can't recall when the immigration laws changed, but between the strict policy and the loosening of it, I obtained a bachelors, and then an MBA through a US school.

Those two, held weight when I applied for permanent after the loosening.

While JLPT might get you a point closer, I want to say that they took a look at my personal background and I became the first permanent resident without JLPT (having someone else write in kanji why I want it) in 2 months, which is 2 months quicker than average—without a "gift", if you get my drift (as if Japan is corrupt).

I need motivation to study JLPT, but it might take long hours and hikikomori of studying.

I need motivation to study JLPT, but it might take long hours and hikikomori of studying.
As far as I know about it, there are levels to it just like the Eiken (Japanese step test), starting from the easiest (I believe) N5 and going to the hardest, N1.

When I taught English, I would suggest to my Japanese students to begin at 1 lower level than what I could tell they were. Say I could gauge they were a 2, I would tell them to take the test for 3. This is because I know they could pass 2, but the confidence they would gain from passing 3 would let them know so too.

If the JLPT is the same, study hard, but shoot for passing N5 first.

That's your motivation to continue: If you can pass N5, you can pass N4; beat yourself every time.

I lost my N5 certificate , I cannot remember where I put it. Does anyone know which website where there are all these study materials of JLPT? Vocabularies, grammar, for every level.

Have you tried googling "JLPT study materials?" You might find something if you look for it.

I was wondering does the Kanji lists for N5, comes out in N3? I mean does N3 or N4, includes N5 Kanjis? Or does N3 include only N3 kanjis, not N4 or N5?

pretty sure the kanji lists are specific to that level, and are not cumulative (i.e. don't contain kanji from previous levels). It's expected that if you're studying N3 you already know the N5 set.

You're expected to know things that would have been tested on the previous tests. But you aren't specifically tested on it. So if 新 is a kanji tested in N5 you might have a question asking what that Kanji is or how it's pronounced etc. If you were to take N4 you might see it used in the reading section as a Kanji. The same goes for vocabulary, grammar and listening.

So does it mean all vocabulary, grammar, and listening that came out in previous levels, are gonna come out only in reading section of a higher level?

I mean that it is possible. Language learning is a cumulative thing. If you learn something at the "higher" level and forget something at the "lower" level you're not really learning the language. No matter how much Japanese I learn I would hope to retain the knowledge of what 私はアメリカ人です。or 猫がいます。just because you learn more doesn't mean you should forget what you've already learned.

Back
Top Bottom