What's new

What is up with the San Diego Chargers?

DoctorP

先輩
3 Jun 2004
Here is a pro football team in a great US city, but they have got to be the worst at getting/keeping quality players. Contract talks just broke down with their newest quarterback (phillip rivers). They have had the worst luck with QB's. I said all along this year that they should have traded their 1st pick and picked up a veteran QB to lead this team. Now it looks like they wasted the pick because this little pansy is going to hold out for more money than he is worth. The NFL needs to put a cap on how much you can earn as a rookie. A flat pay rate across the board! Any other football fans out there? 👍

Well, just be glad that you're not a Saints fan! We get good players, but they play like crap. Until they leave the team, that is! I still don't quite understand why that is, but it seems that Marie Laveaux has an influence on them! :(

Ahhhh! Football! Say it softly and it sounds like praying! This is right up my wheelhouse, my friend. First and foremost, the team, as run by owner Alex Spanos is Mickey Mouse all the way, has been for years. Eli Manning saw that right away and wanted nothing to do with the Chargers, even though the New York Giants aren't exactly worldbeaters either.

The Chargers already had a veteran QB, Doug Flutie, but now, he's too veteran (read: old and decrepit) and Drew Brees didn't exactly light up the scoreboard, thus the search for yet ANOTHER young phenom out of college, Phillip Rivers. And we've all seen how that's turned out so far, and I don't think he's hot stuff anyway. Then there's the Ryan Leaf factor, after that debacle, I'm convinced the Chargers couldn't pick a good young QB if their lives depended on it.

Oh, by the by, the Chargers are said to be the frontrunner for relocation to L.A. if the team doesn't get a new stadium, which, I've heard, ain't happening!

I don't see them moving to LA. The Padres got a new stadium, so I could see the chargers doing the same...one day! It's not a bad team, but as you said, the GM and the owners keep screwing up! I still think that the chargers would have been better off picking up Warner and trading the 1st pick. Brees is not a bad QB, just needs an O-line to protect him!

Perhaps, but you never know these days. I could be wrong, but I seem to remember hearing or reading about the city turning down a request from the Chargers to build a new stadium. And while the Padres got the city to build Petco Park, who's to say history will repeat itself with the football team? As for the team, it's got a long way to go to achieve respectability. Look for at least two to three years worth of last place finishes in AFC West.

Speaking of the Chargers, does punter Darren Bennet still play for them? if not, is he still around in the NFL? I like to keep track of Aussies abroad.

Yeah, CC1's right! I went to the Chargers' website and saw that Bennett's gone.

Back
Top Bottom