What's new

Welcome to Japan Reference (JREF) - the community for all Things Japanese.

Join Today! It is fast, simple, and FREE!

Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

What is the difference in usage between causative and causative-passive?

healer

Sempai
Reaction score
I am aware causative can mean to let or to make someone do something. However which is the one all depends on context. More context the better it could be I suppose. I'm still somewhat blurred on this.

Then when it comes to causative-passive like the examples below extracted from Causative and passive verbs, why can't we use causative to make it simple? What could be the difference in meaning?
  1. 待たせられるのは、嫌いでしょう? 待たせるのは、嫌いでしょう?
    Don’t (you) hate being made to wait?
  2. 子供の時に、色々な物を食べさせられたから、好き嫌いは、あまりないよ。 子供の時に、色々な物を食べさせたから、好き嫌いは、あまりないよ。
    As a child, (I) was made to eat various things so (I) don’t have a lot of likes/dislikes.
  3. させられたと言うけど、結局、それはあんたのためだったんでしょう? させたと言うけど、結局、それはあんたのためだったんでしょう?
    (You) say (you) were made to do (it) but in the end, (it) was for your benefit, right?

Toritoribe

松葉解禁
Reaction score
The subject is the causee in causative passive, whereas the subject is the causer in causative, thus, it's "Don’t you hate being made to wait?" vs. "Don’t you hate making someone wait?". The meanings are totally different, right?

Incidentally, 待たせられる is not wrong, but another form 待たされる is far more common for the causative passive form of godan verbs.

Because words such as 待たせられる mataserareru are considered to be difficult to pronounce, frequently in colloquial speech, the middle part of the causative passive would contract. That is, 待たせられる mataserareru (I was made to wait), would become 待たされる matasareru. Another example such as "(I) was made to buy (something)" would formally be 買わせられた kawaserareta from the verb 買う kau, but colloquially, it is frequently contracted to 買わされた kawasareta. This abbreviation is not used for vowel-stem verbs, nor for the irregular する suru and くる kuru.

healer

Sempai
Reaction score
Thanks! I hadn't thought through properly before I asked.

Top Bottom