What's new

What is the criteria necessary to become a moderator here on JRef?

Hachiro

先輩
5 Feb 2006
In the past few days I have found myself wondering more and more what the criteria is for a member to become a moderator here?

Outside of the "owners" I would appreciate someone with the correct information sharing with everyone here how the current group of moderators got their positions and what requirements were necessary, if any?

Are the moderators here just members that volunteered for their positions or was there a vote among the current members to create and give these positions to these people?

Are members that donated funds to the operation of the board given the position of moderator?

Is it possible for members here to recommend another member here for the position of moderator? (If it is allowed there is a member that I would like to nominate. No it isn't me either for you smart alecks out there.🙂

Thanks

*shhh dont say anything they are catching on to us*
lol
Well i can speak of how i arrived and how they let me become a MOD.
Ive noticed the growing ammount of spam and trolls growing in JREF and In the mist of PMing Thomas the idea of me becoming a MOD came up. Some time past and nothing until a string of Trolls came up and he PMed me back asking if I wanted to. I was voted in and welcomed by the rest of the group as well given a 30 day grace period where i got to see what happend but not have any of the power. In all I think the Admins must have some degree of trust in someone who wishes to join. As far as being qualified? I think someone with common sense and the who will be a fair as possible to all. Ive run a forum before nothing to the size of JREF mabye 75-100 active members. Id just wish my forum now would take off. but as always in due time

As far as Donators automaticaly beings MODS. I doubt that has anything to do with it. I was a mod before i donated but i do know of some donaters who became mods. check the members list i think. As far as you trying to Nominate someone it never hurts to ask as long as its done right.

Anything else?

Carlson thank you for your prompt reply. I will send my recommendation to a few of the moderators here and sound them out about this. I will also send it along to Thomas as well.

Carlson said:
lol no problem and by all means send it to me...

I will include you, firstly I need to let the person know what I am thinking, after I get a reply I will PM the necessary parties including you as well. Thank you for your information.

I never requested to become a moderator. I was asked to be an advisor by Thomas. I think he and Maciamo might have talked it over before asking me. I don't know if they ran it by the other team members(we had very few at that time) or not.

By the way, the difference between advisors and moderators. Advisors have a tad more responsibility than moderators. On top of all the moderator duties, advisors have a certain section that they are in charge of.

Also, donators. Donators are given certain "perks" after giving money. They get larger avatars, they can see who's online, stuff like that. They can do a few things that other members can't, but they can't do what moderators/advisors do. Donating doesn't automatically give you power to manage the forum.

Well, they asked me and some other members because they were in need of some new blood :) And we were members for quite some time now. Everybody has his own jurisdiction if you want, Dutch and me are entertainment mods, Carlson is anti-spam-man, but we all delete spam if there is any. We're also free to moderate about anything. I doubt there is need for more moderators, but you can always try. Us mods were asked by either Thomas or Maciamo :)

I asked to be a mod/adv a couple of months ago, but they said that they would think about it. and with all that stuff about the Jpop section, ( I was complaining so much about that) I asked again, to help changing the Jpop section ( 4 days work) and they said that they were happy to have me.

so yeah, being a member in here for a while, make good/fair posts would do a lot. being a regullar

Becoming a mod is like that scene from Toy Story what with the squeaky aliens and the grasper game, its pure luck ultimately who gets chosen.

but its best to fit into the forum to stand a better chance.

nurizeko said:
Becoming a mod is like that scene from Toy Story what with the squeaky aliens and the grasper game, its pure luck ultimately who gets chosen.

but its best to fit into the forum to stand a better chance.

Interesting, I always figured a moderator of a forum would be someone that doesnt get too involved in "heavy" discussions and sits back, watches the conversation, and acts in a timely matter to stop inappropriate posts. I also would tend to assume that moderators that post on threads that are "explosive" should at least let people know that they are either posting as a mod or as a regular member, as NOT to force the discussion into one direction or the other.

To not do so puts "different" weight behind the posts that they make.

Moderators are people too, yet I have seen moderators here get involved in discussions and then when things don't go the direction that they like end up deleting posts or warning people that their posts are against the "rules" of the forum.

It makes me want to sit back and say duh! "Practice what you preach!"....just because you are a moderator here doesnt give you the right to delete peoples posts on threads that you have participated on purely because the heat is getting too hot for you to handle.

They are abusing their priviledges that the admin have given to them. I would like to see moderators at least be honest enough to, when participating in a thread as purely a member, to put down their moderating hat and let another mod or admin take responsiblity for the thread. They should also let members KNOW that as well.

Everyone has opinions and thoughts that many times dont mesh with what others are posting, participating is fine, abusing their postitions isnt.

I am definitely against management abusing their positions to do whatever they want and say whatever they want.

I believe in staying as neutral as possible when you're in a position like mine. I believe I've stated that more than once, and I believe I stick to it. I don't want anyone feeling like I show that much favoritism toward one or another, and I don't want anyone feeling like I'm not approachable.

It is entirely possible to be able to gte involved in discussion will maintain an impartial fair and competent mod side to your forum personality.

But I reckon getting drawn into shouting matches and general poor forum etiquette isnt considored helpful to becomming a mod.

But I reckon getting drawn into shouting matches and general poor forum etiquette isnt considored helpful to becomming a mod

I agree, yet I have seen mods here do just that.

kirei_na_me said:
I am definitely against management abusing their positions to do whatever they want and say whatever they want.

This is indeed a very noble thing !! Of course we have seen it happen too often really. . . that most recent flash was because of just a thing. I have been here coming up on a year now, and there have been at least three counts of such an offence--an abuse of power, if you will. But what can one expect from the attitude that comes up with a 'you-have-to-obey-my-rules-but-I-don't-have-to-because-I'm-the-one-who-makes-them' admendment to the rules? (the latest addition, since this past Friday in Europe)

I'm all with you kirei_na_me !! I not only agree with the notion but ask for an appeal to proper consideration of the matter, for once and for all !!

In my opinion, Hachiro, you are going in the right direction. It seems to me to be most natural that it is fair to say that there is no official without a civilian element as well. And so every official may stand up against every notion or movement that appears to challenge the system because they are in the system, but the civilian element would cause them to fairly ask if that notion or movement would not improve the system !

To better what we have as an on-line community ( a much better and more realistic view than that of visitors on someone's private property) is again, a most noble thing. It does or can have its costs and friction though--but the end product is a better thing !!

To better what we have as an on-line community ( a much better and more realistic view than that of visitors on someone's private property) is again, a most noble thing. It does or can have its costs and friction though--but the end product is a better thing !!
It's more analogous to petitioning absentee landlords for day to day fixes on a problem property -- what is the point of incentive or vulnerability unless traffic decreases significantly and that in turn, if it does....affect ad revenues ? I'm a total novice on the economics of running a site.

Meanwhile, realistically and very unfortunately, I think everyone would pretty much be stunned to see any major overhauls in governance for the immediate term. :( Hopefully lessons will be learned from the mangling of Eupedia, though....

Is it possible for members here to recommend another member here for the position of moderator? (If it is allowed there is a member that I would like to nominate. No it isn't me either for you smart alecks out there.🙂
Best wishes to the nominee ! :) A couple of departures recently may create a very opportune moment....

Elizabeth said:
It's more analogous to petitioning absentee landlords for day to day fixes on a problem property -- what is the point of incentive or vulnerability unless traffic decreases significantly and that in turn, if it does....affect ad revenues ?

Not very likely to happen.

Take a look at the number of people logged onto JREF at any given time.

For example, when I came it it was:

Currently Active Users: 366 (15 members and 351 guests) - Total users last 1hrs : 576 (25 members and 551 guests)

As you can see, those of us who actually open our mouths on any given topic and actively participate are a distinct minority. And those who raise questions about the integrity of site administration are a minority within that already very small minority.

People don't have to post here to affect ad revenue; they just have to show up (and maybe click on something). Any changes are going to have to come about as an appeal to reason and an appeal to character. Appeals to economic self-preservation aren't going to carry any weight whatsoever.

Well, its only a matter of time before I am a moderator I'm just soooooooooo liked by everyone here and I'm so awsome.
😌
I think you run a forum for the express purpouse of encouraging discussion and contribution, if you impede this or downright sabotage it in anyway, your not really efficiently running a forum are you?.
Revenue aside, if you want to run a forum its always in the best interest to do what needs to be done to ensure that the largest amount of people possible are signing up and comming back and contribution material.
If they arent, and the forum population is in decline, its basically a matter of time until the forum can officially be regarded as dead.
J-Ref has had its pumps and trip ups along the way that sometimes threatened to upset the appeal of J-Ref, and I'm not entirely sure its fully recovered yet, but, its all in all an acceptably polite and comfortable forum to join in, so, it shouldnt have any worries.

Edit: I think we should try for a drive to get more of the Lurkers to sign up and contribute, maybe just a extra banner on the site like, "Have a question? or feel you have infomation about japan to contribute? sign up to the forums today and discuss and learn about japan with fellow minded people today!" or it can have a banner over the forum saying something similar.

My brother lurks. Occassionaly surfaces to put in a little comment or post the submerges again. I think most lurkers just like to read what is being said and maybe slip in the odd comment to dissappear again.

I think everyone would pretty much be stunned to see any major overhauls in governance for the immediate term

In my opinion they would be stunned with joy to see changes made that would make this site more stable. To sit back and let the status quo go on in this form will see many people come and go and only a handfull of regulars and moderators to chat between themselves.

Best wishes to the nominee ! :) A couple of departures recently may create a very opportune moment....

I hope so too, I sent the pm this morning with my request to Thomas and a few selected moderators for their consideration. Just have to wait and see what comes up.

I never felt actually asking to be a mod was a good idea, afterall, those who seek to be our political leaders arent always considored 100% honest joes.

nurizeko said:
I never felt actually asking to be a mod was a good idea, afterall, those who seek to be our political leaders arent always considored 100% honest joes.

Mmmm who is asking to be a moderator here?

I hope so too, I sent the pm this morning with my request to Thomas and a few selected moderators for their consideration. Just have to wait and see what comes up.

I probably read that wrong but it said to me "I have asked to be a Mod".

No, no one has asked to be mod. Someone has been nominated for mod by someone else, but no one has asked to be mod themselves.

Back
Top Bottom