What's new

What is one thing that you really like about living in Japan?

musicisgood

Sempai
Donor
4 Sep 2015
For me, it is the roads. Whether cycling or on a motorbike, the roads are a lot of fun to ride on. In this area, many road have the student bicycle sidewalk which make cycling safe and good "pavement".

Agree - very little stress riding in Tokyo, unlike Manchester or London (apart from the interminable length of time before red lights go green!)

Frankly, the number one cool thing about Japan is for some reason the crime type problems we see in many other nations on this planet are much less of a problem here in this nation. It doesn't, for one second, stop me from staying alert, even after so many decades of living here, but it is good for family folks that might not be quite as good at dealing with bad folks on the street, if that were to happen. Of course, my age and medical situation make my ability to properly respond to a challenge a bit on the iffy side, but I guess I would be good for one short situation and probably survive it. I used to teach Tae Kwon Do, so I haven't completely lost that which helps in such situations. I'd probably have to go to the hospital right after that, but the attackers might also be going there with me. My point is folks still need to stay alert, but it sure is more peaceful on the streets, if the news I read about many other nations is to be believed. Of course, if everything I have been fed by them news folks is nonsense (like that Hearst fella did to get us into that mess in Cuba) then I am wrong about that thinking.

Yep, that is the number one thing, them crime (bad) folks stay indoors. Maybe they are always around them pachinko places where I don't hang out.

By the way, musicisgood, your "Like" is my dislike. Firstly, a lot of folks do not follow the new law and stay off the walking path for us pedestrians, as they should. BUT I don't blame them, in so many cases, because I don't think so many drivers in Japan are respectful to folks on bicycles on the car's road.

I still have this weird bicycle I used to use for shopping, but I never enjoyed riding it. Too much trouble to be sure to stay alive. And I write "weird" because I built an odd looking box thing on the back that also folds to flat. Ya'll have seen those utility boxes you can buy at hardware stores that are so strong and fold when you don't need them. Well, I solidly attached one of those to a rather stout bicycle and it worked so well for many years. Problem is that these days I can't use that bike too much. Maybe if they can fix my spine that could change.

AND! This one really irks the heck out of me --- bicycle riders in Japan seem to have fingers that don't like bells!! I am constantly seeing these close shaves where a simple DING-DING of that bell would have made the situation safer.

I admit that there is one benefit for me --- it keeps my backward area radar in practice and that means not just the eyes and that extra range of vision that is so useful, but that instinct thing which tells you something is back there that needs your attention.

Yes, sometimes the warning is too close and you turn just as mama-san or papa-san is almost on top of you, but there is still that practice of using that radar thingy --- or whatever that is.

Oh well, just a thought. No reason to up and leave, for sure. Just a thought. Or better --- just an irk.

I'm not sure whether cycling in Japan is "safer" than elsewhere but it is definitely more comfortable given the usually excellent road conditions. Most cyclists of the mamachari category, however, are outrageously undisciplined. I wish traffic police would shift more attention to their reckless and sometimes suicidal escapades (riding on the wrong side of the road, with umbrellas, without lights, while talking on their mobile phones, etc.) and start ticketing them!

I'm glad to say that I hail from a country with crime rates almost as low as Japan's, so no surprises here. I do like the fact that lost wallets are turned in to police boxes unfailingly. And usually unopened.

I like Japan's community spirit with people taking care of their neighbourhoods, tending public gardens and spaces and cleaning up the litter others leave behind. Downside: this attitude often leads to peeking neighbours turning into what we call 'gomi nazis' who would bring every piece of rubbish dropped into the dustbin on an undesignated day right back to your doorstep.

Japan is an extremely noisy country but I love the tranquillity of morning trains and the total absence of people blaring on their mobiles.

And sorry, I just realised that @musicisgood asked about that ONE thing we like about Japan.

I've had two surgeries and hospital stays this year (and two more a few years ago). And I'm not bankrupt, and it was good care.

I have to get a one tooth denture, cost: about 32 bucks. Around 3000 yen. I think that's a fair price. Looks like the NHI covers a part for dentures?

Do you find that applies to any part of a Japanese city? In my experience, almost all large first-world cities are safe in almost all the neighborhoods that a tourist or middle-class resident would visit. Even including downtown transit stations etc. I will admit that I did not feel any qualms wandering around in Japanese cities, whereas in Paris I was conscious that it might be dangerous for me if I wandered into the wrong suburb at the wrong time. But in the core areas I felt safe in nearly every city.

Back
Top Bottom