What's new

What is driving students to commit these crimes?

jieshi

Japaustralian
5 May 2004
Im sure most of you will have heard about the sixth grader in japan who killed another girl from her grade about 1 month ago. I did a little bit of research and found that there has been a large number of cases of the last ten years involving 12 to 13 year olds commiting violent crimes. The most recent being this sixth grader slitting a girls throat with a box cutter. Another one was a boy from sixth grade trying to commit suicide by jumping off a building. The boy tried to jump and his mother ran to stop him. The boy turned around and stabbed his mum as she tried to stop him (im not sure if he jumped or not). there was also another case a couple of years back invloving another sixth grader male who killed his father for no apparent reason.

I now ask the question, "what is driving these 12 and 13 year olds to commit violent crimes"? :?

One of the main possible cause is that children under 14 are not legally responsible of their acts, which means they cannot be tried or convicted in Japan. This age of criminal responsibility is quite high compared to English-speaking countries (7 to 10 in Australia, 8 in Scotland, 10 in England, 12 in Canada...).

The main problem from what I heard is that lots of Japanese children know that nothing will happen to them whatever they do if they are under 14, and some intentionally commit crimes or offences because of that (that is what I was told by some Japanese). We could argue that the age of criminal responsibility is the same in Italy and Germany and even higher in Scandinavia (15), Spain & Portugal (16) or Belgium & Luxembourg (18 !), but I guess most people do not know about it (I didn't before searching the Internet, while I knew about Japan because they often talk about it in the news).

i think that is a really good point. some kids are to smart for their own good. but at the same time I think there is something deeper, like to much being expected from children?

jieshi said:
i think that is a really good point. some kids are to smart for their own good. but at the same time I think there is something deeper, like to much being expected from children?

I agree with you. Kids can be mean, there used to be an issue called "Ijime" which drove many children commiting suicide, a bunch of kids tease one kid repeatedly for stupid reasons.
Peer pressure, not having anybody to look up to, very limited places to run around to be a child etc.. They are losing reallity by getting sucked into computergames and watching too much tv.

It is happning many places in the world, but it seems to me that Japan is an easy place to suffocate.

What happened to those kids who would group up to pull a rope to smash a guy's barn as a revenge for being yelled at playing baseball?

da government there needs to get off its rear and put in legislation to accomodate these perps.....

Back
Top Bottom