What's new

What have your experiences with Japanese people been like?

justin

The Rise of Cobra
31 Aug 2003
What have your experiences with Japanese people been like? Share your story! Be it with Japanese people you encounter at college/school, friends with, related to, loves, or even the ones you run into.

Since I started this forum, I have to cowboy up and share a story.

I have always had an interest in Japanese culture, and thanks to college, I was able to interact with people from many countries, including Japan. During the winter, I began helping the college's International Students Club with protects like fundraising, etc. After a few meetings, they offered to make me a member, and I was honoured to accept. At first, I didn't meet too many other members, but classes started to get less hectic and more people could come. The first Japanese person I met was Naisugai or a nice guy in English. I called him that since he was a nice guy who was always making everyone laugh. Next, I met two Japanese girls name Ryoko and Yuki. Both were fun-loving, caring, and all-around great people. But the person this story is really about is Yukako.

For all the guys out there, I have to say one thing to you. If you ever meet her, you had better run for cover. You better hide your heart because once you start to love her, you know, you are never going to stop. She shines like a diamond when she walks into a room. She could charm the stars. Hypnotize the moon. Okay, I know that must sound very sappy, but it's true.

When we first said hello, I had feelings for her, and we hit it off pretty well. The first club meeting everyone made it to, I had worn a sleeveless shirt, and my cobra tattoo was showing. Yukako was sitting next to me, talking with Ryoko and Yuki. They were giggling, and I caught my name a few times in their conversation. The next thing I know, someone was rubbing my tattoo with their finger. I turned to them and asked what on earth were they going. They told me they wanted to see if the cobra on my arm would rub off. That weekend a few members of the club went to the movies together. The guys wanted to see an action movie, but the girls wanted to see "ringing Down The House", and in the end, the girls won. The movie was okay, but I was sitting next to Yukako, and before the movie, music was playing, and one of my favourite songs came on, "American Pie"? Well, I started singing along with the song, and to my surprise, Yukako was trying to sing along with me. She asks if a had a copy of the song, and I told her I would get her a copy, and I went home and made her a custom CD with other songs she would like. I gave her the CD, and she gave me a J-Rock CD to say thank you. I asked her if she like the CD, and she said loved all the songs. Yes, I got a Japanese girl to like Country music! Later that day, I managed to work up the courage to ask her out on a date. She said yes, and on my way to my next class, I felt like the king of the world.

I took her to see Dare Devil and had dinner at a nice restaurant. After dinner, we took a walk through the city park, but our date had to come to an end like all good things. Before we said our good-byes, I gave her a rose pin to remember her time in the U.S. I wish when I said good-bye that day, it would be our final good-bye. Yukako went back home to Japan along with my friends Ryoko and Yuki.

Well, that's my story I hope it wasn't too sappy or too long. I can tell you I have only had good experiences with Japanese people. Minus all the times, I would be coming around the corner at the mall, and a big group of Japanese students almost ran me over. :p 👏

So many over the years. I'd be hard pressed to know where to begin. Good to hear you had such a nice experience! Hope they will continue to be so.

Mostly impatience at the moment -- but that can make you slow down and think things through a little more as well which isn't always a negative thing. ;)

I had a really good experience. If met with a really nice japanese girl I knew from ICQ. She and her sister came to germany and we spent two beautiful days in Munich... I really like these girls... I wish we had more time... And next year we'll meet again 🙂

I've lived amid Japanese people all my life because my father is Japanese. And I would like to tell that they are like every other nationality, i.e. you can find nice people and bad people with the same difficulty or ease.
Personally, I have lots of good memories adn don't bother remembering the bad ones.

i met this group of japanese girls my age and they were so fun, nice, and polite... but they wanted to take pictures of EVERYTHING and millions of pictures of me and them together witha littel "V" sign in the air. They also commented me like crazy...

its fun~

~kisu

Originally posted by kixot
I've lived amid Japanese people all my life because my father is Japanese. And I would like to tell that they are like every other nationality, i.e. you can find nice people and bad people with the same difficulty or ease.
Personally, I have lots of good memories adn don't bother remembering the bad ones.

well said!
A lot of people have one bad experience with a person of a certain race, religion, whatever, and then lump the whole group together as bad.
There is good and bad in all countries and I like to focus on all the great experiences I'm having in Japan rather than moan and groan my way through.

It's better for your health that way too :p

There is good and bad folks in every country.

Nationality, culture or race is not the best way to make asessments or the pre-judgement of an individual's quality of character.

Well, at my college there's lots of japanese exchange students. They kind of keep to themselves and other asian people...
I speak a bit of Japanese, but I just don't go up to them and start talking. They seem a bit reserved, so I always think it's better not to say anything. They're friendly though, I've got to give them that. ANd they're always laughing, so I guess I could say they seem to be a happy people.

Back
Top Bottom