What's new

What happens if you lose your job...

bkjmiller

後輩
7 Feb 2008
I have an instructor's visa. If I lose my job, what happens to my visa? Doesn't it just remain valid, leaving me free to find a new one?

Anyone can offer any of their esteemed knowledge, it would be VERY appreciated!

bkj

It all depends on who your sponsor is. If it is the school you are teaching at they may report to immigration that you left your position and are therefore not responsible for you anymore.

If it is a private person who is your sponsor you needn't worry about your visa and are free to find new employment and your visa will remain valid.

Others with more info will probably chime in.

JET instructor visas become invalid after you leave, I believe.
Otherwise, the visa is valid until it expires.

If it does appear that your visa will become invalid, simply apply for a new working visa. That way you can get a new job. However, I suggest applying a while in advance to the expiry, as the Japanese visa system is a bit slow going through the process from what I have heard.

If it is the school you are teaching at they may report to immigration that you left your position and are therefore not responsible for you anymore.

Could this actually happen?

Yes it can, yes it does and yes it has. The point is that if the school is your sponsor, they, in effect, say to the government and immigration that they will be responsible for you in the event that you get into some kind of trouble such as not having the funds for paying your rent.

If you leave them before your visa expires because you are unhappy or something, they are well within their rights to inform the government that you have quit and they are relinquishing all responsibility for you as you are no longer working for them. The government does NOT like foreigners being in Japan without a sponsor and they may come looking for you and deport you.

This is a worst-case scenario, but it could, and has happened.

Back
Top Bottom