What's new

What Generalizations Japanese Have On Americans

TuskCracker

後輩
17 Jan 2004
I'm a HUMAN BEING and I don't LOVE broad generalizations. And, as Mecharmor23 has proved, not all generalizations are fact. And, even facts can be misleading. Don't even get me started on that one. More or less, I responded because recently I've been tired of all my Japanese co-workers assuming things about me because I'm from America. Stuff they saw on TV.

recently I've been tired of all my Japanese co-workers assuming things about me because I'm from America

What are these things, some guess's;
-> All American are gun toting maniacs
-> Love guns and own many
-> American is always right (never wrong)
-> Chew tobacco
-> Drive a pickup truck
etc. etc. etc.

That episode of South Park about "Big American Penis" was hilarious... :D

And then one when they go to China and the commentator talks about "drinking coffee, using a credit card, and having big round eyes" :D

Why so curious?

Actually most of the assumptions they make are particular to Japanese culture. The old, "wow, you can eat this or do that." One of the funniest questions I've been asked was at an Italian restaurant; "Do you eat spagetti with a fork?" I've yet to be asked if I chew to-ba-ko or drive a pick-up truck. But, not far from that mark, I've been TOLD by Japanese people that ALL Americans love Mc Donalds. I was also "told" by some teachers that American graduation ceremonies are like big parties, as they saw on TV. (A half-truth.) No one believed me when I told them my graduation was in a church. While these kinds of statments can get annoying after awhile, it's quite alright. Most of the time people are willing to listen, as long as I am willing to listen to them, too.

I could list more, but I won't... Americans are no different, probably worse, often using only popular media to judge entire cultures. (Obvious example: ANYTHING Islam.) Heh, a few years ago, when a Japanese friend of mine stayed at my home in Chicago, some of the things my family said were... uh,... embarrassing to say the least...
😌

Ignorance is truly impartial. It knows no borders, no boundries, and transcends all barriers.

What Generalizations... On Americans

Don't Japanese think too many Americans are;
-> Loud and obnoxious
-> Rude in meetings
-> Overbearing and try to dominate the discussion
-> Undiscplined

Friggin' Canucks! Heh, I used to drive to Thunder Bay in Ontario, because..... legal drinking age, 19! (Or was it 18?)

:p

Well, Japanese people I meet usually think I'm from Europe, not America.

To describe myself, I have brown hair and eyes, I'm slender and usually dress farily nice. I try to speak Japanese and follow local etiquitte as much as possible.

So does that mean Japanese people think Americans have blond hair and blue eyes, are fat slobs, don't speak the language and make a big mess wherever they go? :D

JackInBox said:
-> Chew tobacco
-> Drive a pickup truck
etc. etc. etc.

Something funny about the gun thing; a short story... Currently I know an American working in the Mongolian countryside. When he was preparing to leave Ulaan Baatar for the countryside, he hired someone to help collect all his materials. When the time came, he was handed his supplies, and.... a very large gun. When he asked why he needed a gun, the supplier replied that he was American, so why wouldn't he want one?

:D

Then again, I met a guy from Florida in Japan yesterday who claims to own 2 AK-47s.

:p

Last edited:
> I've been TOLD by Japanese people that ALL Americans love Mc Donalds.

Well this, of course, is true. Unless you're a communist. ;-)

All Americans must love Baseball, Apple Pie and Ford or Chevy Trucks! :D
All Americans must love coffee, Big Macs and Super-sized drinks from their local 7-11 :D
All Americans know that Japanese cannot pronounce Chevrolet.
All Japanese know that Americans cannot pronounce Karaoke, Karate and Isuzu.
I think the trouble comes from this "Alll" business....the Japanese tend to confuse the usage of All, Most, Almost and Many :D
Most Americans have a hard time spelling the above, let alone know their usages, too :D

All Americans

All Americans must love Baseball, Apple Pie and Ford or Chevy Trucks!
All Americans must love coffee, Big Macs and Super-sized drinks from their local 7-11

I find Baseball on TV, boring and hardly ever watch

Maybe watch the World Series

Rarely go to a real professional baseball game.

Football is now the American sport. Love a good Pro-Football game (like the last Super-Bowl, minus the half-time and many many commercials).

I do love coffee !

I travel to Central America every 2-3 years. Coffee all day long those people.

I now own a 22-Rifle, but never use it. I grew up in rural-southern culture. Hunted rabbits with a 22-Rifle, when I was 16-19 years old.

Don't like McDonalds, except for breakfast (except for Breakfast).

AMERICANS
-> always have an opionon
-> can't do math
-> they can only criticize American, you can't and get mad at you if you do !
-> may not vote, but whine about government even if they are receiving government checks (like ex-war vet)

The Last Gun Show I Went To....

Then again, I met a guy from Florida in Japan yesterday who claims to own 2 AK-47s.(QUOTE FROM MAD P.)

the Chinese models went as cheap as $150US. They tend to jam a lot and get dirty with powder fast, junk!

Frank

JackInBox said:
recently I've been tired of all my Japanese co-workers assuming things about me because I'm from America

-> Chew tobacco
-> Drive a pickup truck
etc. etc. etc.

but unfortunately those things are sort of true to some extent.

I'm A Gun Toteing Maine-iac, But I Drive A ...

magikcow said:
but unfortunately those things are sort of true to some extent.

SUBARU; had to sell the truck, couldn't afford gas for the monster, spent all my money on bullets!!

Frank

😊 :p :D 👍

uh,oh..I have to admit that I have these generalizations mentioned in these messages about Americans in my mind too, even though I'm not Japanese..Nor American.
Most of them are from the tv and from the people I've met.
But, It doesn't mean that I'd really _think_ that all americans are like those generalizations we get used to...but, quite many, to some extenct..? ;)

For example there are some nasty generalizations about Finns as well, it doesn't always feel nice when people come up with these, but we have to admit that there's always the seed of truth in them. How else would the generalizations born?
(For example "Finnish people like to drink"..that is, I'm afraid, the truth when you think about the majority.)

I wonder if American people not being able to say they are sorry because they are afraid of litigation is considered a generalization or a fact? :eek:

even in the driver's manuals these days or insurance info the car insurance gives people in the US, they say not to admit fault, even if you did cause the accident...

Chipi said:
For example "Finnish people like to drink"..that is, I'm afraid, the truth when you think about the majority.
I actually met a finnish guy on my way to school yesterday. He walked up to me saying "you're Swedish right? Yea, I could tell. I'm finnish you know, but I bet you figured that out" pointing to his newly opened can of beer.

Heh, an Aussie friend of mine once told me "We like a drop now and then."

Btw Frank, if you had to recommend a hand-held weapon of mass destruction, what would it be?

m477 said:
Well, Japanese people I meet usually think I'm from Europe, not America.

To describe myself, I have brown hair and eyes, I'm slender and usually dress farily nice. I try to speak Japanese and follow local etiquitte as much as possible.

So does that mean Japanese people think Americans have blond hair and blue eyes, are fat slobs, don't speak the language and make a big mess wherever they go? :D

That's not physical (or just the clothes then), but the facts that almost every time I have heard "gaijin" speak too loudly or talk English to a shop, restaurant or office's staff (usually also loudly enough to make everyone stare at them includeing me), they were Americans. That does not mean that all Americans behave like this, of course, but that the biggest proportions of Westerners in Japan behaving like this are Americans - and bad luck, there are much more US citizens than other Westerners travelling or living in Japan.

Not Sure On Cost Or Availability, But

mad pierrot said:
Heh, an Aussie friend of mine once told me "We like a drop now and then."

Btw Frank, if you had to recommend a hand-held weapon of mass destruction, what would it be?

the drum fed "Street Sweeper" 12 GA or it's steroid 40MM
big brother blooper.I quit buying gun mags 5 years ago, so I'm out of touch on the latest.

Frank

The Gun Thing

(First Post!) When I was an exchange student in Japan recently, the first things my classmates asked me (nearly all the guys got around to asking) was what kind of gun I had. They were shocked and surprised I didn't have one and neither did most everyone I know.
Other things - people seemed blown away when I liked the food, could use chopsticks (a little), or fold origami, write Japanese, etc. etc.
BUT I'm quite sure none of it was bad-natured or arrogant or anything; they just liked it and didn't expect it.

Back
Top Bottom