What's new

What does whale or shark taste like?

I've eaten whale when I was a kid. It came canned and tasted okay, like beef in beef stew. It was cooked in sugar and soy sauce. My spouse said he had fried whale in school lunch. It was okay, I guess, because beef and pork were hard to come by...

Whale meat shows up sometimes in supermarkets, but it's not very delicious. (Probably because I'm accustomed now to beef and pork?)

I've never eaten shark except shark fin soup :D
I hear that shark meat requires special preparation because it has an ammonia smell?? :?

ive tried shark, they used to have free samples in the supermarket i lived by when i was a kid and id get it nearly everytime. it was good, not too fishy.

I've had whale sushi once. Very mild and fatty. Wouldn't mind a whale steak.

[ ...ducks from the onslaught ...] 😊

Never tried whale or shark meat, but shark fins taste really good (although I have a bad conscience when eating it). You need something tasty like that to make Chinese rice soup edible.

Chicken.

Seriously, the whale/shark that I've eaten tastes less like seafood than you'd expect. I thought the whale I was eating was beef until someone told me otherwise.

I've never had whale... but next time I'm in Japan I'll ask my gf's mom to see where I can eat it. I'd reckon it must be ridiculously expensive.
Shark meat taste's... hmm... like shark. I would say it has the taste of codfish, except that the meat is courser. The juice, the flavouring and color looks like cod. Cod is much softer with a tendency to "melt in your mouth". Shark meat is like cod except the texture is rougher, and it doesn't melt in your mouth.
Shark's fin soup is da best. Especially the "thick" soup kind with mushrooms and crab meat. Add some red vinegar to bring the full taste out... yummy!

Whale is really good *drooling* Fresh whale is the best meat there is!
Tastes like beef, but much, much better ^^ (of course, it depends on how it's cooked)
Damn, now I'm hungry again..

I simply don't even want to taste it because of the fact they are killing the whole whalepopulation for meat and liver...makes me sick :eek:

ferrariboy said:
I've never had whale... but next time I'm in Japan I'll ask my gf's mom to see where I can eat it. I'd reckon it must be ridiculously expensive.
Not at all, the lunch meal would be less than $10. I've had Tatsuta-age and Yamato-ni, both very nice.

Whale restaurant list

RockLee said:
I simply don't even want to taste it because of the fact they are killing the whole whalepopulation for meat and liver...makes me sick :eek:

Interesting you say this. Do you think people should avoid whale hunting because of practical reasons like the possible extinction of whale species or because of idealistic reasons like whales have souls like human beings?

I'm not so sure that the Japanese whaling industry is going to self-destruct by causing the massive exctinction of a species, but you never know.

see jref's own section on whaling for more insight

Whaling in Japan

canadian_kor said:
Interesting you say this. Do you think people should avoid whale hunting because of practical reasons like the possible extinction of whale species or because of idealistic reasons like whales have souls like human beings?
simply because I think the species will extinct in x years...look it's not that we're dependant of whale meat anyways, and if they do so, they should think of the whale population and keep it up.I'm starting to dislike human nature very much...all we do is eradicate and destroy...makes me sick! :eek:
this was offtopic about the reason I don't want to eat it ;-)

Shark is very good, quite similar to swordfish. Of course it depends on what kind of shark you get.

I would imagine whale and beef to be very similar. I try to avoid beef because it's not so good for digestion, so i have no desire to eat whale.

It's cruel to hunt for whales!!
And did anyone see how they hunt for sharks and cut off their fins and then throw them back into the water? So cruel!!

I ahve heard its quite good. It sounds delicious, As for the cruelty issue, I think that its crule to hunt an entire herd of the whales, but hunting a few weaker ones actually helps the herd. It promotes genetic growth in the herd by removing the weaker animals, promotes stronger genetic diversity in the species as a whole.

Utsuki said:
It's cruel to hunt for whales!!

HEAR, HEAR!! I am against whale-hunting too! I have never tasted whale, and would not like to.. :unsure:
I have only tasted shark once, and would not like to voluntarily eat shark again.
The white shark is threatened, does anyone know if the white shark also is a "dish"??

Martialartsnovice said:
...hunting a few weaker ones actually helps the herd. It promotes genetic growth in the herd by removing the weaker animals, promotes stronger genetic diversity in the species as a whole.

maybe we should try this on humans...

but i dont think the japanese whale hunters actually just go after the weaker ones, just whatever whales they happen to hit with the harpoon.

ffrost_nova622 said:
havent tasted any of em but i wonder wat human meat taste like? :?

Probably like chicken!! :LOL:

Well, somebody had to be the wiseass and say that! So I volunteered myself! :D

ffrost_nova622 said:
havent tasted any of em but i wonder wat human meat taste like? :?

I haven't tried eating human meat... :eek: :sick: But I have read it tasted sweet...yuck! (I can't remember the name of the book but it was an account of a cannibal written by a late famous anthropologist.)

ffrost_nova622 said:
hahaha....sweet human meat..then theres no point eatng lollies if its sweat.*cutting arm*

Then you and Hannibal Lecter have plenty in common! :D

Back
Top Bottom