What's new

What does this say?

Codiejoy

後輩
1 Mar 2013
Thank you Angel Valis, I appreciate your reply.

Attachments

• tattoo.jpg
    tattoo.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 145
Last edited:
It's read shugotenshi, and means "guardian angel".

Broken down:

守 shu (pronounced as "shoe")
護 go
天 ten
使 shi (pronounced as "she")

守護 shugo: protection
天使 tenshi: angel

Please try to get a confirmation though.

Basically I want this as a tattoo but I'm not confident that it says what I want it to say. I'm not going to post what I think it says in case you all say yes yes yes just to make me look stupid and get a tattoo that doesn't even say what it's meant to!

I replied to the "need a Kanji translated?" thread, but not sure I'll receive a fast enough reply. Sorry if I this is considered as "double posting".

Thanks in advance, I hope I get the replies I'm looking for haha.

Yes I have read the "WANT A TATTOO" thread.

For the love of God, PLEASE don't use that image as a model for the artist. That's horrible.

Perfect??
I completely agree with Mike-san. It looks like written by a kindergartener.

Thank you, that is what it's supposed to say. I also got it confirmed through a few other people.

Also the image was quickly drawn up by a friend (didn't trust it said what I wanted, knowing my friends they would put something stupid or offensive), it will not be the final art of my tattoo. I haven't been to see a tattooist yet.

I have done a bit more reasearch and have found a website where you can buy scrolls with Japanese symbols on them. I typed in Guardian angel and it looks similar to the one my friend has drawn, would you recommend I use the image from the website rather than my "kindergartener" drawing :p

> link <

Also do you's have any recommendations on certain fonts/scripts? I've just came across a few different styles through that website after clicking "customize" and they all make it look so different. Quite a lot to choose from :s

OP, unless your guy grew up writing kanji you can be almost 100 percent sure it will look like crap, have wrong characters, upside-down/rotated/mirrored characters, look like a computer font (imagine an English tattoo in Times New Roman), or some combination of those. When he goes by a stencil or from mimicking something what you get is a mockery of a kanji tattoo.

This practically never works out well, but we do hope you'll share a photo of the result so we may all enjoy a good hearty belly laugh.

My friend did not grow up writing Kanji, no. She is an artist in training and seems to love the Japanese culture so I thought she would be someone who would know how to write the symbols.

Also with the font thing Mike, lot's of people do get Times New Roman and Ariel and many more computerized fonts as tattoos so I don't quite understand you there and what the deal is with that? Well for me having a computerized font would be no issue.

@FinancialWar This is an open forum, correct me if I'm wrong but there are no rules saying we cannot post about tattoos. I don't see why this should be banned, people are simply reaching out to others who are familiar with this language and culture and want to hear YOUR answers. So really why should it be banned? It's not like they are coming here and posting about things irrelevant to the forum ie; Spanish tattoos or so.

I also don't understand why everyone is so against tattoos in Kanji? Who cares if the person getting the tattoo doesn't understand the language, you really have no right to judge ones tattoo. I simply want this tattoo because I love the look of the symbols and guardian angel represents my deceased sister. So why not put two things together that you love, well in this case, what I love.

I understand people have their own opinion, but like said in the "WANT A TATTOO?" thread, why do people have to be so harsh? As long as it says what we want it to say, then what's the issue?

Actually, we have the right to be as judgmental as we like. Some of us missed the Political Correctness revolution and have not the slightest qualms about being judgmental. You don't get to pull the PC "judgmental" card and shut down speech that you'd rather not hear. Don't like it? That's tough. Deal with it.

Care to hear what a pack of self-serving BS I think the overplayed "I'm honoring my dead {insert relative} with this kanji tattoo" line is?

I never said I was going to stop anyone from having their own opinion, like I said I understand that fact.

Also no, I don't care to hear what a pack of self-serving bullshit you think my tattoo regards.

What a lovely forum this is. (n)

We're more than just a little tired of these sorts of inquiries. I wish the trend would go back to the stupid "tribal" tattoos or move on to Sanskrit or Korean or something.

Be sure to share a photo; I don't get Comedy Central over here and all laughs are appreciated.

I won't be sharing a photo, won't be returning or recommending this forum either. Don't you think people who post tattoo threads are tired of being judged so harshly, when it's not a "trend" or actually could mean something to them. I remember reading a thread last night about someone wanting to get a kanji tattoo to remember his Japanese friends and he got verbally bashed saying how stupid it would be of him to do such a thing. A tattoo is only stupid to someone who doesn't understand the meaning behind it.

I also don't understand why everyone is so against tattoos in Kanji? Who cares if the person getting the tattoo doesn't understand the language, you really have no right to judge ones tattoo. I simply want this tattoo because I love the look of the symbols and guardian angel represents my deceased sister.

Some of us here are just gentle souls warning of what sort of judgments you will face in the future. If you cannot bear to hear the warnings, best not to get the tattoo perhaps? But if you think it over, disagree with our opinion, and are sure you can handle the criticism that awaits, then by all means, get the tattoo.

In all honesty, its not only Mike Cash that will laugh. Just the fact that you are considering getting a tattoo in a language you cannot even read...well, think about that.

It's always interesting to read these tattoo threads here on JREF. I started learning Japanese 13 months ago and haven't gone a day without it. In October I got my first tattoo and my second just this week. However, these tattoos are written in English. Why? Because it's my native language, that's why.
I don't know if I'd ever consider getting a Japanese (or any other language) tattoo, even if someday I achieved near native proficiency. Despite being Welsh I wouldn't even get one in Welsh, because although I have a basic knowledge of it, I don't speak it (my Japanese is better!).
I see people with Kanji tattoos often and know (pretty much for a fact), that most of them have no idea of the meaning/reading of it or whether it's even written correctly. I'm not discriminating because they don't know Japanese, I'd feel the same if they had Arabic, Korean, Chinese, Thai etc.
Seriously though, if you want one, get one. As the poster above says if "you can handle the criticism that awaits, then by all means, get the tattoo."
That's probably the best advice.

Rich.

Back
Top Bottom