What's new

Welcome to Japan Reference (JREF) - the community for all Things Japanese.

Join Today! It is fast, simple, and FREE!

Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

What does this say?

Nyanko

先輩
Joined
6 Feb 2003
Messages
44
Reaction score
0
I always wonder, when I by foreign language t-shirts just what message I'm broadcasting.

I've attached an image - can anyone tell me if it means anything or if it's just pretty shapes :D
 

Attachments

  • teeshirt.jpg
    teeshirt.jpg
    11.9 KB · Views: 72

Elizabeth

先輩
Joined
22 Apr 2003
Messages
9,525
Reaction score
131
Originally posted by Musashi
I don't have a clue, looks pretty Chinese to me though...
Yeah, me too. Maybe the name of a flower or smiling ear or something in Chinese. :)
 

Ryu

後輩
Joined
7 Jun 2003
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
Hmm, well, it is obviously a kanji, haha.
I don't know what it means though, but since it is a kanji, it is both Chinese and Japanese.
 

Elizabeth

先輩
Joined
22 Apr 2003
Messages
9,525
Reaction score
131
Originally posted by Ryu
Hmm, well, it is obviously a kanji, haha.
I don't know what it means though, but since it is a kanji, it is both Chinese and Japanese.
Apparently the meaning is something akin to "connection," "contact" or, as an adverb, "together," in Chinese. I actually ended up asking at a Chinese restaurant :D since as far as I know the right radical is only used as part of "saku" in Japanese.
 

Nyanko

先輩
Joined
6 Feb 2003
Messages
44
Reaction score
0
Originally posted by Elizabeth
Apparently the meaning is something akin to "connection," "contact" or, as an adverb, "together," in Chinese. I actually ended up asking at a Chinese restaurant :D since as far as I know the right radical is only used as part of "saku" in Japanese.


Thank you for all your help with this, I wanted to have a rough idea as I know my friends would ask :p

I also was never sure about wearing things when I didn't know what they said 👍
 

StorDuff

先輩
Joined
6 Jul 2002
Messages
85
Reaction score
0
Well the one on the left means 'ear'. Of course combining it with another kanji probably changes the meaning all together :)
 

Elizabeth

先輩
Joined
22 Apr 2003
Messages
9,525
Reaction score
131
Originally posted by StorDuff
Well the one on the left means 'ear'. Of course combining it with another kanji probably changes the meaning all together :)
I think the meaning in Chinese is clear. The one on the right is the Japanese non-radical in bloom (saku). It is bloom (along with bunches of others) in Chinese as well. 😄
 

Enfour

先輩
Joined
13 May 2003
Messages
76
Reaction score
0
So it could actually mean:

"Cauliflower Ear" :p

Interesting kanji for a tattoo.
 
Top Bottom