What's new

What does the comic expression ''ぎわ'' stand for?

Pingypuff

先輩
2 Jul 2013
Hello,

I'm translating strips on tumblr, and now an expression which I haven't heard of before has showed up. It says ''ぎわ'', and appears right after ''ぐい'' which in this case would be the expression for one pulling someone closer into a hug. Now, I'm thinking that this is probably what you'd use for squeezing, but since I'm not sure I'd like a confirmation from someone more experienced. Also, after the picture with the ''ぎわ'' and ''ぐい'', a ''ぎわうう'' appears while one is still hugging another, which I suppose is something you use for squeezing harder... Am I correct?

Help me out here, please!
:)

Hello,

I'm translating strips on tumblr, and now an expression which I haven't heard of before has showed up. It says ''ぎわ'', and appears right after ''ぐい'' which in this case would be the expression for one pulling someone closer into a hug. Now, I'm thinking that this is probably what you'd use for squeezing, but since I'm not sure I'd like a confirmation from someone more experienced. Also, after the picture with the ''ぎわ'' and ''ぐい'', a ''ぎわうう'' appears while one is still hugging another, which I suppose is something you use for squeezing harder... Am I correct?

Help me out here, please!
:)

No idea and Japanese is my first language. Most likely, it is an onomatopoeia that the author created. Never heard or seen it myself.

No idea and Japanese is my first language. Most likely, it is an onomatopoeia that the author created. Never heard or seen it myself.

Okay then, thanks anyway. Since you have Japanese as your first language, could I ask you what this means while we're at it:

今日はセクハラまがいの発言しますね

I know it's something about today and some sexual harrassment statement, but I can't translate the full sentence properly....

Sorry to ask you of this, but please help me out! >_<''

Aren't they and うう, not and うう, maybe? If so, those are all common onomatopeias; ぐい for pulling somthing closer strongly, ぎゅ/ぎゅうう for holding something hard.

セクハラまがいの発言をする
to make a remark close to sexual harassment

Aren't they ぎゅ and ぎゅうう, not ぎわ and ぎわうう, maybe? If so, those are all common onomatopeias; ぐい for pulling somthing closer strongly, ぎゅ/ぎゅうう for holding something hard.

セクハラまがいの発言をする

Yes, another person just told me that might be the case and it was. I felt so stupid. It was badly handwritten so I'll use that as an excuse.

And thanks for answering the off-topic one! :) You just made my day.

Aren't they ぎゅ and ぎゅうう, not ぎわ and ぎわうう, maybe? If so, those are all common onomatopeias; ぐい for pulling somthing closer strongly, ぎゅ/ぎゅうう for holding something hard.

セクハラまがいの発言をする

I was thinking that the full sentence should be translated into something like this: ''So that's your sexual harrasment-like utterance for today I suppose.'' when being said to another person... is this correct?

Back
Top Bottom