What's new

What does Senkoku mean?

marnor9004

Kouhai
1 Dec 2014
Hi. Im studying Japanese using google translate with a furigana manga book. I came across two kanji that doesnt have a translate result 先刻. I think it means 'just'. But im not sure. Can anyone explain these kanji? Thanks.

my dictionary says "already, a while ago." so "just" might in the temporal sense, like "recently"

先 refers to the past, and 刻 can indicate time. Are you studying or just feeding this through google?

Mmh. I know doesnt always translate correct. But to understand the story in a manga its not bad. There is words like 'to wait', 'to stand', 'sword', and special terms like 'spiritual abilities'. If I ever come across such word in the story im sure its correct. Why else would google translate to such a word? But dictionaries are indeed better, but I see it faster to find the words in google translate app on mobile.

Edit: oh and yes im studying. Didnt I say so?
( ̄^ ̄)ゞ

What you're doing is more likely "reading a manga using google translate" rather than "studying Japanese using google translate". Nice gaijin-san's question is reasonable since your assumption 先刻 means "just" doesn't seem to be the one done by those who are learning Japanese properly.

Just out of curiosity, have you ever learned Japanese properly, that is, using textbook or something?

Yes, several times Ive sat on grammar pages, reading. I even had the time to do it while I worked. I dont spend much time with languages generally, or addictively but I know the alphabet. Now I read manga without translating. Thats funnier though:D Thanks for replies.

Back
Top Bottom