What's new

What do you think of Chinese Goods

Artsman

Sell-fine-art
24 Dec 2006
Hello,everyone, I come from China and just want to know what do you think of Chinese Goods?

Well.............

Walmart here in the US sure seems to like them. I wonder when China will get into the automobile market?

They are on car market, I would say the raw material which chinese products are usually made are not good enough quality. especially when it comes to steel.

Then again my computer is build in China and it has had no problems with hardware so far. The thing is who is making, not where its making. Big company are more responsible so its safer to buy I think.

I'm afraid Chinese goods do not always have the highest reputation, but it could be more a problem of statistics, since a large amount of goods come from China. Personally, I'm concerned about the human rights issues revolving around the Chinese labor market, but for all my concern, I probably buy products based on quality more than anything else.

Hello,everyone, I come from China and just want to know what do you think of Chinese Goods?
They are extremely competitive in price, and their quality improves every year.
In general, the Chinese policy is to mantain competitivity, keeping the Renmibi undervalued... but also, Chinese manufacturing has a strong combination of cheap-labor with increasing technological advancement.
Regards.

i am a true market-economy guy! if china can make a cheap, good product then i will buy it. unfortunately, my wife's family (nihonjin) is pretty much against chinese products. dunno why.

I find them cheap... or not "very expensive" you know, I don't know why people think China goods aren't well made... Though I remember most of the stuff I have bought with the apposition "made in Taiwan" which didn't have a better reputation, almost ended up in the garbage because it broke down or something. But then again, its completely different...

Chinese companies have been making great progress in goods' quality...
I'm sure...China will be the real strongest " world's factory" in the future..
:)

There has been alot of media attention directed at Chinese goods lately, I personally am not sure if this reflects any actual danger or if its just more media chess designed to keep their economy at bay. As far as Chinese goods are concerned in Canada, the dreaded poision toothpaste did in fact make its way over, as did some of the posion pet food. Personally, I've always considered Chinese goods to be rather 'cheap' simply because many dollar store items are 'made in China' and the stigma is difficult to shake. But this has never been something I feared. Now, however, with the booming economy and the competition of free market, I fear the Chinese are cutting corners and counterfeiters are not just introducing bad product but actually putting people at risk. That's a big problem for me. I have no problem with their inexpensive goods so long as they continue to meet a certain standard. Free market should regin but not at the expense of health, abroad or domestic.

As was pointed out, the human rights violation and lack of environmental consideration is also cause for me to not support Chinese goods. The CBC (our Canadian BBC if you will) has been doing a fairly well-rounded documentary series on China's economy and there are several drawbacks to the way they're going about it. It's not environmentally sustainable and its hurting their own people.

I'm not an economist but I've heard China's economy described as a bubble economy. Many Western economies technically are as well, but China's is moreso because the markets are new and rely on established Western investment. So regardless of the quality of Chinese goods, if investors find reasons to continue putting money into China it seems we're going to end up with the goods on our shelves anyway.

It's not all good with China's economic boom. I was recently told by a guy who teaches seminars for entrepreneurs that he recently interviewed with Germany's ambassador in China and she told him that all this makes many people in other countries broke by taking labor away from them, that China's energy power comes from charcoal burning, which is making a big cloud of smog which sooner or later will cross the Pacific ocean, only for us in the Americas to experience that big yellow smog cloud.

Mauricio

I used to just think that Chinese products were generally speaking a little cheap, but not all that different from products from anywhere else.

After having lived in Japan for some time, though, I have had to revise my thoughts on Chinese products after witnessing several incidents involving Chinese products.

Now I think that my original opinion is basically sound with the exception of anything that one imbibes or ingests.

Industrial Raw Materials Found in Food
A nationwide inspection of the food-production industry has uncovered the use of a wide range of illegal ingredients in the processing of foodstuffs, the top quality watchdog said Tuesday.

Industrial raw materials, such as dyes, mineral oils, paraffin wax, formaldehyde and the carcinogenic malachite green, have been used in the production of flour, candy, pickles, biscuits, black fungus, melon seeds, bean curd and seafood.

UFSI said:
Walmart here in the US sure seems to like them. I wonder when China will get into the automobile market
Walmart's products, as well as virtually every other store in the US, are 90% made in China. China is already in the car market and will be shipping their first vehicles to the US within a year or two and GM should have their Chinese factory up and running shortly. Nissan USA announced yesterday that they will be making more and more car parts in China and India to cut costs and increase profits. There goes even more jobs here in the US.

Mrjones said:
I would say the raw material which chinese products are usually made are not good enough quality. especially when it comes to steel.
Nice Gaijin said:
...but for all my concern, I probably buy products based on quality more than anything else.
Not really true Mrjones as they have to keep the same standards as US and Japanese manufacturers if they are manufacturing for them. For example, if they are making products for Sony or Toyota or GM with their label the quality is usually the same as if it were manufactured in those countries. In the case of Chinese factories manufacturing their own goods for export, like tools or 100 en or $1 items for example, you may have a point as the quality is quite low.

justinod said:
i am a true market-economy guy! if china can make a cheap, good product then i will buy it. unfortunately, my wife's family (nihonjin) is pretty much against chinese products. dunno why.
That's because of the Japanese perception that everything made in China is garbage, but their name-brand TV's, DVR's, cameras, etc are more than likely made in China or Mayaysia or Indonesia. Do they know that? How many Japanese know that the bento (lunch boxes) sold on the Shinkansan train are manufactured daily in China and flown to Japan for sale to unsuspecting Japanese because it is still cheaper than to have them made in Japan?

Aerain said:
I find them cheap... or not "very expensive" you know, I don't know why people think China goods aren't well made... Though I remember most of the stuff I have bought with the apposition "made in Taiwan" which didn't have a better reputation, almost ended up in the garbage because it broke down or something. But then again, its completely different...
I remember 40 years ago there was the same perception here in the US for goods manufactured in Japan. Granted Japan still made some of their own cheap products that were sold in bargain stores in the US similar to today's $1 stores or 100en shops. I remember my grandfather complaining about one bargain store called "John's Bargain Store" in New York. He called it, "Jap John's". However, the other name-brand products like electronics and automobiles and cameras were of the highest quality.

窶「テッ龙ツ青ッ said:
I'm sure...China will be the real strongest " world's factory" in the future..
In fact China will be the ONLY factory before too long and then China will own the world at the behest of greedy corporations looking to make more profit off the backs of middle-class workers. China is still a communist country. What will happen if China decides to nationalize all foreign corporations and factories? Granted, China will depend on exports for their survival and the world will depend on China for their survival, but it is still something to think about.

bakaKanadajin said:
I fear the Chinese are cutting corners and counterfeiters are not just introducing bad product but actually putting people at risk. That's a big problem for me. I have no problem with their inexpensive goods so long as they continue to meet a certain standard. Free market should regin but not at the expense of health, abroad or domestic.
True, and some of that toothpaste made it here to the US as well into the dollar stores with the name Colgate mispelled or made to look like it was Colgate. This is where you take your chances IMO. If you want to shop at dollar stores for your toothpaste and what have you, then you get what you pay for and you are rolling the dice. Your best bet will be stick with name brand products in the major stores and such as those products will be more than likely manufactured to strict standards of the named company.

Mikawa Ossan said:
Now I think that my original opinion is basically sound with the exception of anything that one imbibes or ingests.
Quite true for the reasons I stated above. If it's name-brand than it is probably of excellent quality. If it's off brand and way cheaper, it's probably garbage and cheaply made.

Now, however, with the booming economy and the competition of free market, I fear the Chinese are cutting corners and counterfeiters are not just introducing bad product but actually putting people at risk. That's a big problem for me.
Timeline: Farm-Raised Fish Imported from China
On June 28, 2007, FDA announced a broader import control of all farm-raised catfish, basa, shrimp, dace (related to carp), and eel from China until the shipments are proven to be free of contaminants.
Malachite green yet again.

related post

To be honest, up until a little while ago I never had a problem with products made in China but now I'm starting to get a little edgy. Poisoned pets, dangerous chemicals in toothpaste, lead in childrens toys.

I guess this is corruption rearing it's ugly head. The higher ups skirting safety for the sake of making money. It's one thing buying a tool that doesn't work properly but when they start endagering children because the're to greedy to care about safety, that's a whole different story.

I guess this is what they call karma. The rich countries shipped over all the labor jobs to China to save money and at the same time caused many people in their own countries to become unemployed because all the jobs that don't require and education have gone overseas. Now China is sending us back dangerous and inferior products for the exact same reason that the jobs were shipped over in the first place, to save money.

And at the same time the average consumer is just backing up this attitude by demanding cheaper and cheaper products and shopping at companies that support sweatshops and child labor.

See, but the flip side is that the average chinese worker is just trying to get by and if there's a big scare and companies start leaving China because of health concerns than millions of chinese are going to be unemployed, and millions of angry unemployed people is just asking for disaster.

We've dug ourselves one deep hole

My mother in law, only buys stuff from the Coop supermarket, because she knows they don't have vegies and stuff from China. She doesn't trust it at all...

Speaking for myself.... isn't everything made in China, or Taiwan?

I have two issues with products made in China;

1) The lack of any real durable quality - although I understand that if I buy a wrench for only $2 it will not last as long as a $40 Made In Germany tool, more often than not these articles will fail at first instance (personal experience). I find interesting, however, that there are no $20 tools Made In China, which would qualitatively sit between the crap and professional leve, i.e. perfect for the home handy man.

Another interesting trend which disturbs me is the production of cars in China - has anybody seen the crash test results? Here a few links:

You won't find me in one of those!

2) The lack of innovation and quality in the Chinese market.

By in large all products that I have come across which bore the label 'Made In China' had either been designed initially elsewhere and the manufacture of said product had been set up/moved to China for cost reasons, or they were blatant copies. I cannot recall any examples of high end technical engineering either - the computer that someone mentioned earlier which came from China was most likely only assembled there, but the parts (especially the high end electronics) are manufactured elsewhere - see the Sony PSP (I believe it actually states 'Assembled in China' on the label for the US version, but the parts inside say 'Made In Japan').

The Chinese market is renowned for its blatant lack of remorse when it comes to violating copyrights, producing very cheap copies of a product that another company has invested a great deal of money developing. But what is also disturbing is that too often the price reduction not only comes from the poor conditions forced upon labourers, but also through savings made in quality (there are multiple examples on the internet where products have been sold only to become deffective within a very short time, and manufacturers skirting warranty obligations by dubious methods).

My concern is that once the pure manufacturing cost savings to be had by making stuff in China is no longer financially interesting (as a rising standard of living does in turn lead to a greater demand in pay, ergo a rise in production cost - oversimplified I know) then the Chinese market will stagnate, as there has been no real effort to produce a culture of R&D, of innovation or real quality.

It seems to me that the Chinese market is currently like the eternal optimist who fell off a tall building, yelling at every floor he passes 'so far so good - let's keep going!'.

Most my clothes are made in China and it is fine. Partly, thanks to lobying by Danish members of European Palaiment the rules regarding toys have become very strict in EU - so I don't mind buying Chinese toys in EU countries.

However, I try to avoid vegetables from China, as I do not trust the quality control. Likewise, I avoid US hormone beef.

I would not trust a Chinese toothpaste.

So, a friend here in japan bought a globe from the 100 yen shop, I looked at Taiwan, and it is the same color as the PRC and Taipei is not shown as a capital of a country. Checked to see where is was manufactured, knowing it would be the PRC, it was.
What surprised me was that the information on the globe stated it was manufactured by Factory 1023 of the PLA. Yep, the good old Peoples Liberation Army.

My mother in law, only buys stuff from the Coop supermarket, because she knows they don't have vegies and stuff from China. She doesn't trust it at all...
Boy is it a small world D.B. My wife is an Assistant Manager of the Co-Operative store just down the road from where we live.
They do not test their products on animals and practise Fair Trade. :)

Speaking for myself.... isn't everything made in China, or Taiwan?

Yes, this is one kind opinion~ but quite rare ...

I won't buy anything food related from China. I know that to some extent that is impossible because even though a product says made in the USA they may buy some products from China. I won't buy any pet food from China. I never did anyway. I couldn't understand how you can buy pet food from a country that eats what I consider pets! That just doesn't make sense. What would they care if my pet dies?

I will buy some stuff though, it's hard not too. The other side is that my husband is a toy designer and his products are made in China. So China does support our life. That makes it hard. The people are hardworking, and I don't think they intentionally use toxic chemicals; I blame the CEO's for their greed. They are making their country look bad.

Back
Top Bottom