What's new

What do you know that I don't?

mad pierrot

I jump to conclusions
22 Nov 2003
I'd like to hear from everyone on this one.

Do you have a special place you like to go to that no one else knows about?
Perhaps a favorite restaurant or park?
Let's hear some answers!

Specifically, I'd like to hear about places in Japan. For example, every city has it's major attractions, but what about all the great lesser know places? Kyoto has a multitude of attractions and a host of guidebooks written about it, but the best places to eat and the best things to see aren't always in the guidebooks. What's something or someplace you know? Although I'd like to hear about places in Japan, seeing as most members don't live in Japan any place is OK.

I'll start with this one: Sakaiyakiniku. It's a small chain of yakinuki (sort of a Japanese barbecue) restaurants in Japan. Besides the food and atmosphere being excellent, they specialize in a neat way; instead of using a gas grill like most places you actually get your own little charcaol furnace to cook over. A great place to eat, drink, and be merry.

:)

Ah~, I can think of so many places to eat in Japan!

The first one that came to my mind is a tonkatsu restaurant in Asakusa, Tokyo, which I can't remember the name of it except it is on the way to "Kaminarimon"; they have a huge menu with different types of sauce. My favorite was bite sized tonkatsu w/ soy & ground daikon sauce, lemon squeezed on top. I went there often with my mother alone which was kind of special.

Another place is a beach where I used to go by myself to just sit and watch the waves; in fall, it was deserted with a line of sheds that were used in summer behind me. It made me feel very nastalgia and calm.

Last edited:
KOKURAN!!! Some of the best Kyuushuu ramen you'll find in the Tokyo area...I hear it was voted #3 (you know how the Japanese like to rank things...at least the top 3 things). Located between the Takadanobaba Yamanote stop and the Waseda subway stop, right near the intersection of Waseda-dori and Meiji-dori. Great food, reasonably priced (about 900 including kaidama), and quick service.

On the same street, Ippudo also rocks my world. More ramen here, with a ridiculous amount of customization available. 5 levels of noodle hardness, random condiments and toppings at your table and available to order. This is for the ramen eater who knows EXACTLY what he wants.

There's a building about a 5 minute walk from Shibuya station with 6 or 7 nomihoudai/izakaya spots in a span of 3 floors. This was a regular stop for our crew, sometimes on consecutive nights. Depending on your mood and financial situation, you can get plastered in a tatami room, at a regular table, with or without food, and with or without the people in the neighboring room. We were always with food and with neighbors. I don't remember the name of the building, but walk to the right of the Starbucks/Tsutaya, turn right at the Mickey D's/steaming chinese food place, take a left on the street with traffic, and it's on the immediate right.

The great thing about izakaya is everything is so cheap.
You would want to eat when you drink, sometimes it can be costly, but at izakaya, you can drink and eat as much as you want for aout 2,000 yen.

One of the best places in Japan is: Yokohama Country and Athletic Club! HURRAY! Great place to hang out, drink a cup of coffee etc... 🎈 You can find me here when I am in Japan!!Here is the link:
Miss Apollo's favourite place

ANyone been there?

Last edited:
And I love watching the progress and following up on my old school in Yokohama: The Link:
Miss Apollo's former school

But, Yokohama country & athlectic Club is still my fave place in Japan..(as posted in the earlier post) 😊

Back
Top Bottom