What's new

What do you dislike about living in Japan?

daiki03

Registered
24 Jun 2015
For my own research study, I would like to know what foreigner (especially exchange students) feel uncomfortable or struggle living daily life in Japan.
Please let me know what do you dislike about living in Japan.
It is pleasure if you also have any idea to improve your comfortability living in Japan.

I hate 3 things, in this order:
nomikai
nomikai
and...
nomikai
Even students end up in it, certainly less often than salarymen.
That is office (lab, team, group) outing for dinner and drinks. Just back home from one. To me, it is forced, while Japanese are in it like fish in the water. Have had about 3,000 working days in Japan, probably 200 or even 250 nomikais.
Food that, mostly, I would not have ordered myself, time with office instead with family, ceremonial beer pouring to each other, speeches, last trains. And, yes, self funded, not a company shout.
Still, I am lucky, excused to go back home after round 1, they continue round 2, then some go to hostess bars. With all 3, individual bills easily rack up into 20,000Y or more. Some end up in capsule hotels, some go back to their desks and sleep in their office chairs.
Not that I dislike the people, with most of them I am friends (as it gets), those I am not I meet or talk for the first time in nomikai.
In Australia, a lunch with the same people would be as good. No alcohol. No loss of family time. And it would be during company time.

Back
Top Bottom