What's new

What do you believe?

Winter

Gag me with a spoon
19 Nov 2003
There have been threads like this everywhere, but well, here's another one.

I'm curious as to what the members here believe in terms of spirituality.

And just to show I'm serious about this, I've checked my b*tchyness at the door, and will be on my bestest behaviour.

So with that said, what do you believe?

I respect every religion. There is no way to proove which of the religions are right or wrong at this time, so I try to keep my criticism of anything like that low. So if voodoo ends up being the true religion in the end, I don't want flashbacks of me going around denouncing it's existence.

Athiest here, I have seen too much to believe in a god(s), and if I am wrong and go to hell then they have to prepare for a fight(i dont go down very easy). But im like Erik, I do respect every religion.

Almost 50 Years of Exposure .....

to many different religions, and being bought up Methodist, I'm afraid I believe the brain is like a light bulb. When the filiment breaks and the bulb goes out, thats it, it goes into a landfill somewhere to eternal nothingness. It's not going to show up in another existence lit again, It's hard to look forward to dying, knowing there is absolutely nothing when your brain shuts down. I notice when people get older or near death their belief in religion usually comes back strong. Maybe I still have a chance to think "happy" thoughts !

Frank

:eek:

Good question, Winter.

Well, I feel much like Erik. I am an atheist, but I have respect for all religion. People are going to believe what they want to believe, and there's not much anyone can say or do to get them to change. I've got a stepmom and a friend who are Jehovah's Witnesses, I've got Muslim friends, I've got Wiccan friends, Buddhist and Hindu friends, etc. etc. I respect all of them because they don't preach it to me and they don't try to get me to change. I, in return, don't try to get them to change. As I've said many, many times before, there are many different religions and everyone thinks their religion is the right one. Out of all those religions, how can every single one be the right one? I hate to sound sappy, but as long as you treat people the way you want to be treated(or better) and respect yourself and others, that's all that matters.

I think I'll stop right there, because if I go any further, it will sound like I'm just rambling... :p

I was born as a Catholic, and was confirmed, but now became an atheist, thanks to undertstanding the real nature of every religion, all of which I tolerate. ;)

@kirei_na _me🙂 well said 🙂 we all have our outlook on religion, and our religion is right for us!!!🙂
How-ever!!!!! I do strongly believe, that we all pray to the one God/Spirit/Buddha/Jesus(bow my head) etc., they have different names for different cultures and beliefs(spell),
we all pray to a God (etc.) that we believe in, why can't any-one consider that its the same God(etc.) but under a different name?title?way of life (to suit the culture)that we all have, prayer is prayer!!🙂
Continue to pray to your god!!! And hopefully, someday the world will be at peace!

Deb: prayer alone cannot bring peace. Peace can only be gained with action, just cause, and unity.

Maybe if prayer unites all under a banner of peace, then by consequence, it is achieved. But that is the stuff made for fairy tales, and ABC family movies.

And not everyone who believes in a supreme being prays to it. I believe in a supreme source-like energy, but it is hardly worth worshipping.

Question for atheists

What is reality?

For all those who liked the Matrix... That being said, I think that question is more applicable today. Me? Everytime I think I've figured it out I'm promptly proved wrong. But, one learns through making mistakes...

Any takers?

I was born a Baptist who went to Catholic school. I'm not into any one particular religion, instead, I just take the most positive things from each religion.

I'm not an Atheist--I believe in God, but not the traditional sense. I believe in the Universe as God, if you understand what I'm saying.

I respect all religions. I also respect the fact that many of you seem to be Athiests here :)

Not sucking up, but Winter asks some great questions.

I leave the possibility of all outcomes open, though I must say that I don't really believe in any of them. In my eyes, if there really was some higher power, then people would still be united under one true religion, and there would never have been reason to deviate and branch off.

As for the "God" mentioned in The Pledge Of Allegiance, Winter strikes a mighty blow to His followers.

Winter said:
prayer alone cannot bring peace. Peace can only be gained with action, just cause, and unity.

If God's goal is peace, why does He (and I say "He" only because that's what God is mostly referred to as) remain passive as more and more people deviate from the so-called "true religion"? He should take ACTION for a JUST CAUSE in order to UNIFY the people. Granted, there are those that believe He will in this millenium, and that is yet to be seen. Until He does, however, I remain skeptical. For all we know, Zeus and Hera are up on a mountain laughing at the world.

I mean no offense to anyone here, and forgive me if you have taken any. I respect everyone's views and beliefs equally. I simply saw this as a good place to share my own.

Last edited:
kirei_na_me said:
I hate to sound sappy, but as long as you treat people the way you want to be treated(or better) and respect yourself and others, that's all that matters.

You don't sound sappy at all. In fact, you sound like the Dalai Lama! He said the best religion is the religion of kindness. That's what it sounds like you were describing. :)

I believe in treating other people with respect and being a nice person. Beyond that I don't have any specific religious beliefs.

I believe that we are so tiny in the universe that what happens on earth is of little consequence anyway. I also believe that life is a perfectly natural (as opposed to divine) and explicable process, and that there is no such thing as souls, parallel worlds (heaven, hell. etc.), gods or any of these "all human" fantasies. Furthermore, I believe that as the most intelligent life beings on earth at the moment, humans ought to use their capabilities to create a better world, and take responsabilities for their own future (socially, economically, ecologically or scientifically).

Maciamo said:
I believe that we are so tiny in the universe that what happens on earth is of little consequence anyway.

In the scope of the universe, thats true, but what individual is a universe, you know what I'm saying?

Every choice you make will impact your own life, and in the end, thats really all that matters in your existence; yourself.

I respect other ppls religions.. everyone is entittled to their own opinions..I myself don't have one..I believe in God and in life after death and things like that, but I've been pretty ignorant when it comes to learning about them, but I want to I just haven't taken the time to..hopefully I can find one that'll suit me..would anyone care to try and explain some of the major religions to me?? ^^

Not to single out Camui, but she inadvertantly brought up a good point. It's kind of ironic that those who don't have a religion usually know more about (or are more curious about) the subject than those who believe they are faithful, and that those who believe they are faithful are usually the biggest sinners. Prime example? American rappers. It's not uncommon for a rapper/hip-hop artist to say he believes in God, yet has albums littered with references of sex, murder, and profanities.

Christianity/Catholicism, in my opinion, is the most hypocritical of all religions. The goals of the religion are supposed to be equality, unity, and peace, yet it's history is anything but. Christians are the pigs in the Animal Farm of the world.

"All animals are equal, but pigs are more equal than others" - George Orwell, Animal Farm

Many of today's followers believe that by claiming they believe in God, they are granted passage into "Heaven". At the same time, these followers are ignorant to pretty much all aspects of the religion they claim to follow. I learned more of Christianity from my Atheist friend in one conversation than I did from many conversations with my Christian friend.

Muslims are by far the most faithful followers in the world today, in my opinion. Why does America (who's principles are based on Christianity, whether people like it or not) view those who die for their religion as wrong, when this is in fact what their Messiah did for them? Food for thought.

My point? Before you label yourself as faithful to any one religion (or having no faith), research. This is the information age...it's not hard. I commend Camui for being curious in more than one religion. And with saying that, I digress.

Last edited:
Well lets not forget that the Roman Catholic church used religion to gain control over the entire Roman empire *which was damn near all of western europe* after the pending collapse of western and eastern, when the huns truged through the land.

In many eras, religion wasnt even about faith, as much as it was about political gain, and a firm grasp of power and control. Religion was strategic.

Winter said:
In many eras, religion wasnt even about faith, as much as it was about political gain, and a firm grasp of power and control. Religion was strategic.

The point I was trying to make with the history comment, but better. Thanks. ^.^

this is more interesting than I thought..I'm glad to be hearing ppls perspectives on different religions....maybe I'll be able to decide on one I like sooner than I thought if I keep learning ^^

Hachiko said:
I was born as a Catholic, and was confirmed, but now became an atheist, thanks to undertstanding the real nature of every religion, all of which I tolerate. ;)
Same here! Atheist and proud of it! :haihai:
There's even a poll somewhere about what you believe, with "Atheist" being the most popular choice 👍

This thread reminds me of one of my favorite quotes...

Saying "God does not exist."

is like saying,

"All carnivorous cows eat meat."

:D

I believed in God

I was born Catholic, and I do believe in God.
But I also respect everybody's opinion.
1. God created the world we lived in and created us specifically to have a relationship with Him.
2. He deeply loves us.
3. We have sinned and are under God's judgment, in need of His forgiveness.
4. God provided a way for our sins to be forgiven.
5. He asks us to receive His forgiveness and have a relationship with Him that will last eternally.

Everyone says how much they respect religions, and beliefs...what about ancient druids?

I mean ancient druid beliefs.

Back when they believed it was okay to kill peasants for the dumbest of reasons.

One of their practices, was to stab an unwilling person in the back, and divine the future based on the twitching of the dead body.

And another one, was to gather up the poor in a pit, burn them alive, in hopes of securing a good harvest.

Oh yeah, beliefs and practices like that definately deserve respect.

Back
Top Bottom