What's new

What do these characters mean?

xar

後輩
31 May 2005

could you please answer in that order?

I know the third one is hiragana for O but I can't remember what the actual word is... unless it of course has a kanji meaning as well

Well, the kanji means dokusho, or "reading," as in reading books as a hobby. If there's a remainder of a sentence, I'm sure the context would become clear.

First one means reading, second one means writing, third is not Kanji, it's Hiragana for "wo". It can be used to help form words or word stems, it is also used to mark the object of a sentence in which case its pronounciation changes to "o".

Bucko said:
First one means reading, second one means writing, third is not Kanji, it's Hiragana for "wo". It can be used to help form words or word stems, it is also used to mark the object of a sentence in which case its pronounciation changes to "o".
I'm not sure what you're thinking there on the first one, but there is no pronuncation besides "o" or grammatical function other than marking the direct object.

を is sometimes pronounced "wo" in songs. Not that important but I hear it in songs and on charts it's always in the "wo" spot. Probably better not to say it like that though.

Elizabeth said:
I'm not sure what you're thinking there on the first one, but there is no pronuncation besides "o" or grammatical function other than marking the direct object.

My Japanese teacher said that sometimes words are spelled out in hiragana and not kanji if the kanji is "too hard". I just assumed that in that case you would find words with the "wo" hiragana in it if there is a "wo" in the pronounciation of the word. Are you saying that there are no words in Japanese which have a "wo" syllable? (I can't think of any off hand and I'm too lazy to research it).

Ok, it was bugging me so I decided to do a quick search of a dictionary and yeah I found that there are no words with the syllable "wo" in it. Does this seem strange to anyone else? So "wo" is only ever used as an object marker hey. Cool.

Bucko said:
Ok, it was bugging me so I decided to do a quick search of a dictionary and yeah I found that there are no words with the syllable "wo" in it. Does this seem strange to anyone else? So "wo" is only ever used as an object marker hey. Cool.
Wo is simply an older pronunciation of 'o' that is totally irrelevant today expect that is how it's still typed on the keyboard and found in hiragana charts. And apparently in certain anime songs I've never heard or paid enough attention to.... :p

xar said:

could you please answer in that order?

I know the third one is hiragana for O but I can't remember what the actual word is... unless it of course has a kanji meaning as well

in that order as already stated is
kanji for read (in general)
kanji for write (in general)
particle
the particle doesnt really have a meaning but is more likely than not preceded by the object of the sentence

for example 読書をします, read books
読書を薦める recommend reading - in this case the particle is necessary

as for pronunciation of this word を sometimes when japanese people pronounce this word clearly it sounds like wo to us non-native speakers but not to japanese people themselves - possibly connected to the preceding word it has this effect - or so I'm told

About that "wo" hiragana.....

Those who've learnt a little about hiragana know that they come in regular series of 5:

"a" "i" "u" "e" "o"
"ka" "ki" "ku" "ke" "ko" etc....

before 1946, there existed a series like that, although incomplete:

"wa" "wi" "we" "wo" (not that there is no "wu" -don't ask me why, LOL)

in 1946, in an effort to simplify writing, the Japanese Ministry of Education made "wi" and "we" obsolete. "wa" remained what we know today, while "wo" became "o" and, as was already pointed out above, remained only in use as the particle that singles out the object marker (pronounciation as "wo" from what I understood, can still be used for rhythm purpose, i.e. in songs or poetry -but I'd need to check on that one)

Back
Top Bottom