What's new

What do Japanese people think of you?

ghettocities

Sempai
16 Jun 2002
To each person a different answer obviously, some might think Japanese people view them as shy, some might think Japanese people view them as an artist, some might think Japanese people view them as a karate legend, whatever you are, whatever you do, how do you think they view you?

I thought it'd be interesting to hear what people on this forum think when it comes to what Japanese people think of them (them being the person responding to this question,)

Question: What do Japanese people think of you?

I think Japanese people (most of the time) view me as an obnoxious, young, trying to get attention, loud, rude that I film and take so many photos kid.

Josh

I've recently been told by several japanese women (of varying ages) that I have a "face japanese people like"... I really am not sure what to make of that but it seems like a compliment so I'll take it. I've also gotten "tall" and comments on how big my hands and feet are. I'm apparently a 6'0" 165lb giant.

for the most part, I try not to ruminate about what other people think of me; I'd rather take their word for it. (taking tatemae into consideration... no my japanese is not very good and I'm not that amazing with a pair of chopsticks, thanks very much)

ghettocities said:
Question: What do Japanese people think of you?

I think Japanese people (most of the time) view me as an obnoxious, young, trying to get attention, loud, rude that I film and take so many photos kid.

Josh

I only know you from your so-called website and I thought the same thing!

<-- 6'4" Black man, I kinda don't want to know. But I assume they think I am somebody famous. I even had a girl randomly ask to take my picture with me.

And yeah Josh your site kinda gives you pre-determined personality, your probably cool mofo in person though.

I honestly don't know. Most Japanese people I know wonder why I have any interest in their culture at all. They think its kinda random.

Genki and sunao and surprisingly rude when treated without the proper respect that goes along with being a westerner. :D.

Damicci said:
<-- 6'4" Black man, I kinda don't want to know. But I assume they think I am somebody famous.

I think I got that once from some junior high kids. I'm 6'3", and at the time had relatively long, bleached hair. I was in decent shape, and wearing sunglasses, so I guess I could've fit the profile. I need to cut my hair. :(

I've never gotten any negative remarks from Japanese girls.Some older dude said 'nice body' but he meant like "good looking".
I'm no show off...so I guess they don't think I'm a complete ***** :p

Some think I walk on water, others probably don't. I've found that a lot of Japanese find me trustworthy since in business dealings with them my word is my bond.

I was in a McDonalds a couple of train stops from Nakano (Tokyo area) and a Japanese gal in her 20s was sure giving me the eye. She was a hottie too. I guess I appeal to their maternal instincts. ;)

Everyone's told me that Im beautiful, funny, fun and polite, all SWEET and very nice compliments!!

You know, I did have one experience in finding an apartment. I didn't take the gaijin route, and found some local fudousan in the neighborhood in which I wanted to live. The agent talked the landlord into taking me, and wrote me like a full page email afterwards saying how I had completely broken through her expectations of working with gaijin. As it turns out, she used to locate apartments in Minato-ku before her gig in Ikejiri. I guess that would sour anyone's opinions of non-Japanese. It almost did mine.

I have been told that I have a "cho-gaijin" face---- Which I guess means that I'm REALLY REALLY REALLY American, despite being Italian and Ukranian and not having relatives that have been in America for more than 100 years at the most...

...also, I will tell you this, going anywhere with a cute child holding your hand has the exact same effect on your persona & how people treat you in Japan as it does seemingly anywhere.... "Kawaii~~~~!!!"... It's better than a puppy. ;)

My experiences with them are here in america, mostly one's here from Nissan and their families. I went to a school they had for their kiddos (so they wouldn't be dumbed down by american schools) and i took a class for american kids to learn japanese. Most of the japanese adults were like "aww, lookit the american kid learning our language!" The kids, on the other hand, were a mixed bunch. The little elementary kids thought i was cool, and most of the teenagers were like *shun* Come to think of it...the only teens there i talked to there were half american/half japanese...

yukio_neko^_o said:
...also, I will tell you this, going anywhere with a cute child holding your hand has the exact same effect on your persona & how people treat you in Japan as it does seemingly anywhere.... "Kawaii~~~~!!!"... It's better than a puppy. ;)

XD this is so true. I'm working in Tokyo at the moment as an au-pair for 3 kids. Whenever I go for a walk with them, we are a major attraction. Though the reason for that could also be that ppl might be surprised to see me with 3 kids, as I'm only 20... XD

what Japanese think about me? I have no idea, as no one ever told me and I never asked.
But everybody always stares at me (guess that happens to every foreigner though), especially guys. All the time, no matter where I go (and before you ask... I'm only average looking...).
Other thant that I think I'm not such a 'big attraction' as I'm not tall (167cm), not blonde, chubby, bad at japanese, can't read kanji,.... I guess I often disappear in the crowds...

Japanese people hate me incredably. I have come to the conclusion that its because i speak my mind way to much. I generally dont find anyone else in Japan doing this and its quite annoying as you really dont know where you stand.

Ialso get drunk quite alot and i think alot of people see me as a problem case haha. Ive made good friends also because of it just not many of them. :p

I don't know what Japanese people think of me, except for my old friend from uni, who I assume likes me since she continues to send me letters and presents, and my ex-boyfriend, who thought I was like a kitten. :cry:

Tim33 said:
Ialso get drunk quite alot and i think alot of people see me as a problem case haha.

I get that in England... :eek:

Hmm when I go home, im going to ask all of my japanese friends.
Well, I know they think im just a poor little fat gaijin who cant save money, and does crazy stuff, and loves sake too much.... but it would be nice to see what they say haha.
My best Japanese friend and I have soooo much in common, she's brutally honest with me, but still hasnt said negative things, she'll be the first I go to.

I live in a small town in a mostly rural prefecture. Gaijin are still pretty unusual here. At 6'3 and 300 lbs. I get quite a few stares. I even saw one man run his bike off the road because he was too busy staring at me. Aside from the ocasional weirdness, I get along exceptionally with the Japanese people I meet and work with. A few weeks ago one of the staff told me that several of my students had said I had healing powers. I was a bit mystified by this, but later a Japanese friend told me that they meant I had a calming effect, It was just difficult to translate I guess.

I've been told that I'm really quiet because I hardly ever talk and that i'm artistic when it comes to writing poetry.

Back
Top Bottom