What's new

What do Japanese people do at Christmas?

craftsman

24 Sep 2006
Some interesting polls about Christmas have been published which seem to doubt some of the popular ideas about how Christmas is celebrated in Japan.

In one, 4,312 Japanese people were asked 'How will you be spending Christmas this year?' and this is the result in order:

Party at home 32.1%
Not decided yet 27.6%
Nothing in particular 24.6%
Eating out 7.5%
Party at friend's home 5.3%
Watch Christmas specials on television 4.6%
Go to see Christmas illuminations 4.6%
Other 4.1%
Attend a party or other event 1.7%
Go to a theme park 1.7%
Go to a concert 1.6%
Travel 1.6%
Attend mass 1.3%
Stay at a hotel 1.0%

So it seems to be a three way split between - don't know, don't care and PAAARTY!

Of the people that had decided what to do (i.e not including the 27.6%), they then asked, 'who will you be spending the time with?':

Family 79.5%
Friends 13.1%
Lover 12.1%
Work-related people 3.7%
Other 1.7%
By myself 1.7%
Not decided yet 1.7%

So it's not like Valentines Day, then?

Some other interesting results:

22.0% of people are buying fried chicken for Christmas. Iron chef you were right about the popularity of KFC gift vouchers!!! See this thread.

73.1% say they will give Christmas presents - mostly to children or grandparents but also to their spouse.

65.9% are going to buy a cake. Not a real Xmas cake me thinks.

Only 12.2% send Christmas cards (I guess they're too busy with New Year cards)

And a grand 37.1% are putting up decorations.

A lot of bonenkai happen around the same time too although these year-end parties don't really have anything to do with Xmas. I myself have five different ones to attend starting from tonight until the 28th. On a side-note, it's a shame that there isn't more of a festive atmosphere here leading up to Xmas. No trees, lights, house decorations, suited Santas, or holiday music... the closest thing i've seen are some of the bigname department store displays that use it as a merchandising gimmick but that's about it.

Everywhere I go in Tokyo and Saitama has the music going, decorations up, trees everywhere, but theres no Christmas "feeling". Its all for show. Theres no Christmas stuff on sale barr decorations, no festive food.

I have the tree, tinsel everywhere, music going 24/7, turkey and ham in the fridge, handmade Christmas cake from Australia and tinned pudding, CUSTARD, and I'll have a crack at making eggnogg :) Gunna be busy, I'm cooking and doing the christmas thing for 3 days in a row for friends, (GF's) family and then close friends.

No, it's never been a holiday, and it's also the last day of school for kids -
they don't even finish early. Mine will be taking the day off!

When I see these stats, it seems that it is not so different from what people would have answered here, with maybe less "undecided" or "nothing in particular" and a bit more "party at home". All the other activities are common here too. Restaurants (well those that are open) are full on New Years' Eve and Day. Many teenagers go to parties with friends. Many people in cities watch the Christmas decorations. Quite a few people go on holiday (winter sports or tropical destinations). I guess that less than 1.7% of the people would go to a theme park though...

As for "who will you be spending the time with ?", the stats for Japan could be exacty the same in Belgium, except for work-related people.

heh..maybe the actual christmas feel in Finland comes becouse every shop will be closed at least next 3 days.

Christmas in Britain now involves working harder and longer during and around Christmas.

Christmas is losing its appeal to me, This is the first year in ages we had a real full size tree, last we we had nothing, no decorations, the tree is the only Christmas decoration in the house and like recent Christmas' there will probably be no presents, precious few cards, and an empty feeling where once a full, exciting Christmas used to be.

The great thing about Japan is most share my "Bah, whatever" opinion of the period around Christmas.

Now new year, thats where its at. 👍

Some interesting polls about Christmas have been published which seem to doubt some of the popular ideas about how Christmas is celebrated in Japan.
In one, 4,312 Japanese people were asked 'How will you be spending Christmas this year?' and this is the result in order:
Party at home 32.1%
Not decided yet 27.6%
Nothing in particular 24.6%
Eating out 7.5%
Party at friend痴 home 5.3%
Watch Christmas specials on television 4.6%
Go to see Christmas illuminations 4.6%
Other 4.1%
Attend a party or other event 1.7%
Go to a theme park 1.7%
Go to a concert 1.6%
Travel 1.6%
Attend mass 1.3%
Stay at a hotel 1.0%
So it seems to be a three way split between - don't know, don't care and PAAARTY!
Of the people that had decided what to do (i.e not including the 27.6%), they then asked, 'who will you be spending the time with?':
Family 79.5%
Friends 13.1%
Lover 12.1%
Work-related people 3.7%
Other 1.7%
By myself 1.7%
Not decided yet 1.7%
So it's not like Valentines Day, then?
Some other interesting results:
22.0% of people are buying fried chicken for Christmas. Iron chef you were right about the popularity of KFC gift vouchers!!! See this thread.
73.1% say they will give Christmas presents - mostly to children or grandparents but also to their spouse.
65.9% are going to buy a cake. Not a real Xmas cake me thinks.
Only 12.2% send Christmas cards (I guess they're too busy with New Year cards)
And a grand 37.1% are putting up decorations.
Is there a job opening to become a fake Christian minister? I would be happy to do it! I know the Japanese do it for fashion.

Is there a job opening to become a fake Christian minister? I would be happy to do it! I know the Japanese do it for fashion.
I've seen many fake Christian ministers at my friends' weddings.
I hope it helps:p

Last edited:
I know, of course. You are absolutely right. :) But I'm working on it👍
By the time, just got the same chart (What will you do for Christmas)for Cyworld Japan
4 people are going to a date, 8 will work, 13 will stay at home with their families, and 1 is going to chirch.15 have other plans( concerts, events, or just say that Christmas is just another day for them)

Back
Top Bottom