What's new

What are your top 5 reasons you have stayed more than 10 years abroad?

JerseyBoy

Back in town
31 Dec 2005
If you are living in Japan (or any other country other than the country of your birth) for an extended period (or semi-permanently), I believe there would be some compelling reasons.

job
family (foreign)
lack (or minimal) opportunities in earlier field

Can't think of many others for people unless they are rolling in the dough

Back in the day when I was living there it was:

1. Love of the country and culture and it was easy to live there

2. Availability of employment

3. The party scene and the women

4. Friends

5. Safety

When I return it will be because:

1. I enjoy living there

2. Friends and family

3. Relative Safety and crime free

4. Availability of employment

5. It's my "home"

I've spent so much of my life here (somewhat over half) that I just sort of take it for granted that this is where I'm supposed to be and often forget that growing up in one country and then spending one's adult life in another country is not the norm. With that in mind:

1. Stasis
2. Force of Habit
3. This is my home and I fully expect to die here
4. Children are monolingual Japanese speakers and this is their home
5. Give me a pass; four is plenty

Mike Cash said:
I've spent so much of my life here (somewhat over half) that I just sort of take it for granted that this is where I'm supposed to be and often forget that growing up in one country and then spending one's adult life in another country is not the norm.
I thought it was only I who thought way. Glad I am not alone. When I left Japan it was over half my life that I had lived there and the latter half was all of my adult life. Today, after living here in the US these past 20 years it is now near one-third. However, like you:
3. This is my home and I fully expect to die here
I feel the same way.

#1, Family
#2, Company
#3, B/c I like it here.
#4, Did I mention family?

I can't think of any others b/c as Mike said it is just become something natural, this is my home. If you asked the question ,"what are 5 reasons for not going back to your country of origin?" I probably could have given you 10.

Back
Top Bottom