What's new

Wearing a Kimono

jewald

full circle
31 Jul 2006
Hi everyone, I'm new here and I was just wondering..

is it ok if I wear a kimono with some modern formal wear?
Something like wearing the kimono as some sort of coat..

If anyone here has pictures of what I'm saying that would be good. :)

I'm not sure what you mean, since kimono is an outfit and not just an outer robe. Are you referring to something like a happi or haori coat? Otherwise, items like yukata or jinbe are outfits, and not exactly meant to be layered. I haven't seen anyone wear a traditional piece of clothing as an overcoat or accent to a modern outfit, but i'm not exactly on top of the latest trends. I have seen (very expensive) traditional-cut yukata with very modern patterns in a store window; it seems that it is more typical to have either a modern outfit with traditional lines or elements, or vice-versa.

I've sometimes considored wearing my blue Chinese kung-fu jacket over a T-shirt with jeans and stuff, but I'm not "hip" enough to start a new trend. 😊

Ok here's the scenario.. my company dinner is coming up and I thought of getting an overcoat, but they are expensive and not in season now.. not yet though, until winter.

But I found this plain kimono, but just the outer layer.. I don't know what you call it, the "robe?"

anyway, I thought of using that as my overcoat ^_^

"ナ?p窶伉ウ(KAKUSODE)"
A coat to wear on a kimono.

"窶慊ケツ行ツ(MICHIYUKIツ)"
The coat which there is from the Edo era.

"窶愿?TONBI)"
It is a thing like Inverness cloak.
It was prevalent from the Meiji era to early period of Showa
200410_coat1-1.jpg

http://www.kimono-taizen.com/know/coat.htm

Ok I did,

I think I pulled it off pretty ok, matching the Kimoino or Tonbi with a white long sleeve shirt with frills and a dark brown tie.. aha

anyway, someone commented that I looked like I had just graduated... =.="

don't really know what you're looking for, but i found these images.
quite old, but it's a 'different' way to wear a kimono.

I'd say it would look pretty silly ;)

Yamada - you got a yukata? If your Japanese and female I bet you do!

Back
Top Bottom