What's new

Wasabi

Mycernius

The Hairy Wookie
4 Feb 2005
I have a tube of wasabi paste and I am wondering how well it keeps? Is it best to put it in the fridge after opening, and how long is its actually shelf life, not the date stamps they put on the side to cover themselves?

Keeping it in a fridge is a good idea. Wasabi usually keeps for a long time; it actually has "preservative" and anti-bacterial qualities which may slow spoiling(not 100% sure on this, it's just based on my memory). I think wasabi can last more than a year in a tube if properly kept.

According to the instructions on the box I bought recently, it doesn't necessarily have to be kept in the fridge after opening. It says "Keep in cool dark place." I personally always keep wasabi tubes in the fridge, though, just to be on the precautioius side. You can pretty much trust the date stamps, but I prefer to finish a tube a month or two before that date because I feel that wasabi could really lose its good aroma over time.

is wasabi a type of sushi or something? i remember something i saw on youtube bout this guy eating a wasabit roll and i think it was really hot and he seemed to not likek it lol

Wasabi is a type of mustard seed that can be crushed into a powder and made into a paste. Since it is in the same family as the horseradish it is spicy. In fact, very spicy, affecting the nasal passage the most. It is not served by itself but is instead applied to sushi and then eaten. You probably saw a person eating a sushi roll with lots of wasabi on it.

I dearly love wasabi in the mix with soy sauce, for sushi as well as yakitori etc.
Mine waits in the fridge for further use, the taste is still fine after a long period.
The other good thing about it is, you need only very small amounts of it, in general.

I heard it goes bad faster if its the horseradish fake (don't ask me what a horseradish is lol).

Most wasabi out there is regular horseradish dyed green- including the wasabi in your tube. Real wasabi is naturally green and has to be fresh-grated, for it will lose its flavor if it is packaged and not eaten right away.

I have a tube of wasabi paste and I am wondering how well it keeps? Is it best to put it in the fridge after opening, and how long is its actually shelf life, not the date stamps they put on the side to cover themselves?

Yes, best to keep it in the fridge, it does have a long shelf life, even longer in the fridge.

We always had a tube on our top shelf fridge in Japan, still do In Australia next to my yummy Uma.. Sour Plums..

I would take note of the expiry date, just in case.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom