What's new

Welcome to Japan Reference (JREF) - the community for all Things Japanese.

Join Today! It is fast, simple, and FREE!

Warning: Paypal scam email

Mycernius

The Hairy Wookie
Reaction score
I'm not sure if this is the right place for this, but it is a warning to anyone who uses paypal. My father has just warned me that there is a bogus email around that looks like a receipt from paypal for a large amount. It has a web address attached to it. When you click on the address it takes you to a site that asks for your account details. It turns out that is is a scam and someone is fishing for your acount from paypal. Apparently it looks like an officail email and web site. My father did not respond and phoned paypal about it. I have decided to post this as Jref uses paypal for donations and I think that members ought to be aware of this.

Pachipro

JREF Resident Alien
Rest in Peace
Reaction score
Be aware that paypal will NEVER ask you for your account details no matter how "official" the site looks. I heard this officially from paypal after I received a similar e-mail.

Keiichi

Hi
Reaction score
This is a thing that's started to become common recently. It's called "phishing scams", and common names used are ebay and paypal, and bank companies.

Keiichi

😊

Apollo

先輩
Reaction score
Pachipro said:
Be aware that paypal will NEVER ask you for your account details no matter how "official" the site looks. I heard this officially from paypal after I received a similar e-mail.

So true, my boyfriend got one of these scam mails....NEVER give your credit card details by e-mail.......

I once received an African scam mail by snail mail....sent from Spain claiming that I had won in a lottery (which I never take part in).
In order to receive the millions of Euros, I had to send a copy of my passport and bank details to an address in the south of Spain....Of course I am not naive so I gave the letter to the police who told me there were several in my neighbourhood who got this letter.
It is called identity theft when the get a copy of a passport and bank details, the can basically "create" another identity...scary.

Keiichi

Hi
Reaction score
Even worst, your PIN number. There is no place, anyone, anywhere, anything (except ATMs and store credit card payment machines) do you ever have to use your PIN number. Especially not online!

Keiichi

😊

Koneko

先輩
Reaction score
I got a paypal scam e-mail once. I don't remember what it said very clearly, and I stopped reading it when it told me something about my account.

How did I know it was a scam e-mail if I didn't even read it?

Because I don't have a paypal account. :D

Keiichi

Hi
Reaction score
Koneko said:
How did I know it was a scam e-mail if I didn't even read it?

Because I don't have a paypal account. :D
:D :D Good one! :p

Here's a paypal one that I've received recently. I do have a paypal account and this scam email did go to the address I signed up under paypal.
I've even included the "fake address" of the clickable links in the email inside <url>

----- Original Message -----
To: undisclosed-recipients, :
Subject: Unauthorized access to your PayPal account !
Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2005 14:17:44 -0500

As part of our security measures, we regularly screen activity in the
PayPal system. We recently noticed the following issue on your account:

We would like to ensure that your account was not accessed by an
unauthorized third party. Because protecting the security of your
account is our primary concern, we have limited access to sensitive PayPal
account features. We understand that this may be an inconvenience but please
understand that this temporary limitation is for your protection.
Case ID Number: PP-072-838-482

<http://larry.clsnp.edu.hk/~larry/ui...yption_ssl_user_signin_online_login/index.htm>

For your protection, we have limited access to your account until
additional security measures can be completed. We apologize for any
inconvenience this may cause.

To review your account and some or all of the information that PayPal
usedto make its decision to limit your account access, please visit the
Resolution Center Send Money, Pay Online or Set Up a Merchant Account - PayPal . If, after reviewing your account information, you
seekfurther clarification regarding your account access, please contact
PayPal by visiting the Help Center and clicking "Contact Us".We thank you for
your prompt attention to this matter. Please understand that this is a
security measure intended to help protect you and your account. We apologize for
any inconvenience.

Sincerely,
PayPal Account Review Department

PayPal Email ID PP892

Keiichi

😌

smoke

Sempai
Reaction score
Mycernius said:
I'm not sure if this is the right place for this, but it is a warning to anyone who uses paypal. My father has just warned me that there is a bogus email around that looks like a receipt from paypal for a large amount. It has a web address attached to it. When you click on the address it takes you to a site that asks for your account details. It turns out that is is a scam and someone is fishing for your acount from paypal. Apparently it looks like an officail email and web site. My father did not respond and phoned paypal about it. I have decided to post this as Jref uses paypal for donations and I think that members ought to be aware of this.
Thanks for the heads-up.

Any e-mail that asks for any personal details should be ignored or at least verified.

Top Bottom