What's new

Question Wanting work in Japan one day

Chloeeeohana

Registered
30 Jun 2018
I want to work in Japan one day, I have study it on the side for fun but I haven't done any actual classes or courses on it. I wanted to work towards getting a bachelors degree in teaching English but I don't know where to start or what courses to take. I have too do it online and I didn't finish grade 12 I'm 17 in a month as well, I heard you had to be 18 and have had finish 12 years of study in your home country

So why not finish grade 12?
Bachelors is usually a minimum for work visas, and you'll need to finish school to get into uni.

Then again there's bunch of other ways. Go through the list of visas and see if there's anything in there you could get into.

Are you just burning up inside to be an English teacher? Or do you just want to move to Japan and you think being an English teacher is the only way to do that?

First of all, you didn't post in the correct section of this website. Look at Practical, then Work in Japan. Perhaps a moderator will be kind enough to move this thread.

Second, in that section, a recent post by a counselor who wants to help an American your age might be useful. Read the advice people have given. High school teachers: which college major for you? | Japan Forum

Third, your own post is full of run-on sentences and at least 3 misspellings. Were you just lazy in posting because this is a mere internet discussion group, or is your English that weak?

Fourth, if you're Australian, you can skip the college route temporarily and try to get a working holiday visa. It will be very limited time, and I don't think you'll get any takers to work as an English teacher, but it's still an option. My best advice, after hearing answers to the earlier questions, is to read up more on what it takes to get work here. Like mentioned, most people will have a minimum of a college degree.

Hi Chloeeeehana
In Australia you can do a degree full or part time through Open Universities Australia - Online Courses - Degrees & Subjects | Open Universities Australia

They have an option if you do not have Y12. Click on 'We can help you choose a degree or subject' and work your way through the questions. They have a process called pathways where you work through a few subjects at the start that equip you with the skills to do uni and then you can choose which degree you want to do. Basically you are completing four level one units that can be rpl's against their degrees.

OUA Pathways | Open Universities Australia

I started at Uni this way as like you I didn't finish high school. I did the first four and then chose a BA Arts in Modern History with a second major in Japanese. Once I had about 8 units done I transferred to a Uni that had the units that I wanted to do so in effect tailoring the learning to what you want.

My advice is to get this squared away and then look to live in Japan working as an ALT or similar. Put a little money aside so you can grab those return free airfares to Japan so you can visit in the meantime which should give you the energy to keep going at uni. You can of course do a teaching degree through them though it is a lot less flexible than an arts degree.

Good luck.

I did the first four and then chose a BA Arts in Modern History with a second major in Japanese. Once I had about 8 units done I transferred to a Uni that had the units that I wanted to do so in effect tailoring t

I'm confused. Did you then go on to graduate with a major in Japanese?

I'm confused. Did you then go on to graduate with a major in Japanese?

Gooday Mike
An arts degree requires 24 subjects. Of these the you must do the following to meet your major, in my case modern history;
4 major units at level one
2 major units at level two
4 major units at level three
= 10 units.

You have an other 14 units to do. A second major requires 8 units, a minor requires 4 units. Of the remaining 14 units you choose another major, in my case Japanese studies I chose;
2 major units at level one
2 major units at level two
3 major units at level three (three are required).

So in the end I have 10 units in modern history, 7 units in Japanese Studies leaving 5 from other streams including the pathways units.

Cheers mate.

Thank you, but I am even more confused. Does "Japanese Studies" equal "Japanese language"? Or is something else?

The source of my confusion is reading from you today in one thread that you have made only very minimal progress in learning Japanese, then in this thread that you majored in Japanese in university....now it sounds like the major may have been aspects of Japan rather than the language.

I'm not trying to nitpick; I'm genuinely confused by what appear to be conflicting messages.

Thank you, but I am even more confused. Does "Japanese Studies" equal "Japanese language"? Or is something else?

The source of my confusion is reading from you today in one thread that you have made only very minimal progress in learning Japanese, then in this thread that you majored in Japanese in university....now it sounds like the major may have been aspects of Japan rather than the language.

I'm not trying to nitpick; I'm genuinely confused by what appear to be conflicting messages.

The major in Japanese Studies can be a combination of any of the subjects from the Japanese studies degree provided you cover the majors. Level two has over 28 units just in level two. It is not a Japanese Language degree.

I have done the three introductory japanese units and as per my post I didnt find them that good as a way to learn japanese for ME. Others seemed to thrive on them.

Back
Top Bottom