What's new

want to be an EFL teacher

fieryleo

後輩
2 Jul 2005
Hi! I'm a new member. I have resided in Isesaki,Shi,Gunma Ken,Japan for 5 years and now back in my home country. I just finished an online TEFL course and would want to teach in Isesaki Shi. In my search for TEFL jobs, seems there's a lot of preference for native English speakers, yet there are also many non-native speakers who are equally capable.

Any English teacher from Isesaki Shi or other prefectures who can share their views?

Hello and welcome to the forum. Have fun :) 🙂
I'm sure there is someone of this site that can help you with the info you need. 👍

Welcome to the fora, fieryleo! There are a few people around here who have taught English in Japan; at least one is still there. I hope you can aquire the information that you seek. Enjoy your stay with us! 🙂🎈

Welcome! This place is great! (I just discovered it myself a few days ago :p). Enjoy your stay ^_^.

I don't know much about TEFL, though I have heard of it. I personally want to begin my career of teaching english in Japan by doing the JET program when I graduate. I think from there it will be easier to find subsequent jobs (and I am a native speaker).

Greetings and welcome. Good luck in your job search btw. I myself am currently arranging employment for two non-native speakers as full-time instructors at my school (one in Sept., the other in Dec.). While most companies like the "native-speaker" selling point because it has an appeal that's easily marketable to the Japanese, I prefer to base my hiring decisions on the merits/abilities of the individual instructor and not just where they were raised or picked up the language. At any rate, best of luck to you and hope you find what you're looking for.

lonesoullost3 said:
Welcome! This place is great! (I just discovered it myself a few days ago :p). Enjoy your stay ^_^.

I don't know much about TEFL, though I have heard of it. I personally want to begin my career of teaching english in Japan by doing the JET program when I graduate. I think from there it will be easier to find subsequent jobs (and I am a native speaker).

If you seriously want to have a "career" in Japan, I would like to make two suggestions:

1. Get a masters degree, and not just a TEFL certificate
2. Have marketable job skills in another field as well

Back
Top Bottom