What's new

Wall scroll kanji meaning

Kasper

Registered
Reaction score
Hi,
I am looking to buy a Japanese wall scroll for my wife (who is Japanese), but I want to be absolutely sure the phrase on the scroll is appropriate. I know the large size kanji mean Saga-giku (a flower), but the smaller size writting, is way, way above my kanji-abilities. It was written by a Buddhist monk in 1967 in Saga is all I know. Can anyone help?

Attachments

lincstreff

後輩
Contributor
Reaction score
I do not have the answer to your specific question, but can provide some supplemental information regarding this work.

The flower sagagiku is normally written as 嵯峨菊, and to my knowledge has nothing to do with Saga (佐賀) city or prefecture. That's not to say the creator of this work did not come from there, but perhaps something was lost in translation.

In the image you provided, it appears that the characters comprising "saga" are variant forms of 嵯峨, with the "mountain" element at the top instead of on the left (i.e., 嵳峩). And "giku" is written in a stylized form, using the characters 喜久. When written in a cursive style, the 喜 character resembles three 七 characters put together.

I do not have the expertise to decipher the writing on the left.