What's new

Welcome to Japan Reference (JREF) - the community for all Things Japanese.

Join Today! It is fast, simple, and FREE!

Visiting this summer

Tireich

Soon-Too-Be-Gaijin
Reaction score
I plan on going to Japan (preferably Tokyo) for at least two weeks sometime this summer. I've been reading around this forum for a couple hours now just soaking up knowledge.

I'm not very familiar with the language and I'm sure that will be a major issue when I'm there so I'm going to study the basics so I can at least get around and order some rice wine or something. I can always pick up the Japanese for Dummies book at Borders...

Plus, I hope the showerheads in hotels aren't as low as I hear they are. I'm 6'7" and that could be a problem...

So...can anyone tell me what their first visit to Japan was like?

jonerik

Kouhai
Reaction score
I've been to Japan twice; first in October 2004, then again this past November. I'm going back in May (my girlfriend lives in Nagahama).

I'm 6'2" and the shower heads were a bit difficult to navigate around. The bathrooms in the hotels tend to be eentsy on the whole. You should try the Japanese-style baths that a lot of hotels have. The experience is a lot more pleasant than trying to wedge yourself underneath a shower head that's located somewhere just below your neck.

I was very impressed with Japan the first time I went there. I was with my girlfriend most of the time, so I had someone with me who knew the language and the culture. We stayed one night at an old house (built in 1920) in Kyoto; the rest of the time was at hotels in Tokyo and Nagahama. This last time I was there I had picked up some more of the language, so I was able to get around and order food more easily on my own (which was good since she had to work a few days while I was there).

The first time I went she took me to a lot of temples and castles, since I'd told her that was what I was especially interested in seeing. In Tokyo we went to the Edo-Tokyo Outdoor Architectural Museum, the Imperial Palace, a sumo school, Asakusa Temple, and a few other places like that. Oh, we also went to the Pokemon store. I'm not a huge Pokemon fan, but it was certainly interesting.

The language barrier depends on whom you're talking to. My experience has been that most older people don't understand a lot of English, while most younger people have had at least a couple of years of high school English. This isn't a hard and fast rule, though, so there are certainly exceptions.

A lot of restaurants have menus with pictures of the food that you can point to. You'll probably won't starve to death.

Have fun!

jonerik

Kouhai
Reaction score
Oh yeah, one more thing: The old style squat 'n' grunt toilets are still plentiful throughout Japan. Larger restrooms will give a choice between the two, but sometimes you've just gotta make do with what's there.

Top Bottom