What's new

Visiting Japan end of March, early April

claushiru

Registered
5 Aug 2015
Hi everyone,

I'm planning a trip to Japan this coming Spring. I'm trying to get the lowest flight cost I can get, because flying from Montreal to Japan isn't cheap! I came upon a great deal this week, but it's only valid on flights reserved from August until March 31st. I was more looking for a end of April - early May Japan stay, but I don't see any deals for that time of year yet.

Can anyone tell me what kind of stay / weather I should be expecting during an early April, 3 weeks stay? Planned activities would include sight seeing, hiking, onsen, and WWOOFing (not sure what kind of help I would be during this period yet...). I guess it would be too early for hanami お花見. What other kind of activities could I do in this period? I'm also open for suggestions :)

Thank you so much for taking the time to help me with this, I really appreciate it :)

PS: I'm new to this website. Is there a good proportion of member who are japanese, or are currently living in Japan?

Take a look at this page for a breakdown of average temperatures and sunniness by area and time of year. The site has lots of other useful information too.

Hanami season would be late March/early April, so you will likely be too late rather than too early. Shoot for first week of April and you might have better chances. (Or, head for the north of Japan where the hanami is delayed by a few weeks...Hanamiyama in Fukushima, for example).
April is a great time to visit. Could still be chilly, especially at night, but generally good weather without much to worry about in the way of typhoons.

I'm planning a trip to Japan this coming Spring. I'm trying to get the lowest flight cost I can get, because flying from Montreal to Japan isn't cheap! I came upon a great deal this week, but it's only valid on flights reserved from August until March 31st. I was more looking for a end of April - early May Japan stay, but I don't see any deals for that time of year yet.

I would advise going early April like Majestic said. It's generally very beautiful around that time with the cherry blossom. Since it only last for a little while, it is also something you might never see again in this setting.

Can anyone tell me what kind of stay / weather I should be expecting during an early April, 3 weeks stay? Planned activities would include sight seeing, hiking, onsen, and WWOOFing (not sure what kind of help I would be during this period yet...). I guess it would be too early for hanami お花見. What other kind of activities could I do in this period? I'm also open for suggestions :)
There are days where you can wear t-shirts, and days where you need a jacket. In my experience this fluctuates pretty much. Almost no rain though, and it is perfect for sightseeing! If you "only" have three weeks, I would avoid the wwoofing if your intention is to save money. There are enough budget options to eat/sleep/transport, while your time in Japan is limited. OK dorms don't have to cost more than 2500 yen per night, while you can eat for less than 1500 yen per day if you have to. If you are eager to experience the atmosphere of working and living with a Japanese family, then by all means go for it :)

Back
Top Bottom