What's new

Visa soon to end question.

AussieBird

先輩
13 Jan 2008
Hi again.

My working visa is soon to end and until I can find a sponsor, what options are open to me if I am not currently working full time? Is is possible to extend it by a few weeks as a work visa, or is it possible to get a tourist visa extension without leaving the country?

Any info is very welcome.

Cheers.

When is it expired?

Extending a work visa is always an option, but I don't think you can extend for very long, and you'd darned well have a good reason! You don't have a tourist visa, so you can't extend that. And, only immigration can tell you whether you can convert to a tourist status in order to stay.

If you have already worked here for a year under that visa, you can try to get several part-time jobs and use them for "self-sponsorship" renewal of that same visa. Just don't use the word self-sponsorship. Explain you have different income sources, and prove that they are guaranteed, just like your original sponsor. The amount you need to prove varies with immigration officer, so be sure it is at least subsistence wages.

Thanks a lot for that Glenski, you seem to now many things about life in Japan. Another question, any idea what immigration will base my extension on? Is extending for lets say a month or so straight forward if you are not currently employed full time and the only reason for it being that I'm hoping by then that I'll find an employer to sponsor me again?

I have no idea what they will base an extension on. A dying family member here. A note from your employer stating that you are absolutely required to remain for a while. Whatever seems important and imperative to them. I'm not even sure you can extend, which is why I suggested you call them. Look here, article 21, and you'll see what I mean. The term "reasonable grounds" is all it says in the Immigration Control Act. http://www.cas.go.jp/jp/seisaku/hourei/data/icrra.pdf

Nothing is ever straightforward when dealing with the Japanese bureaucracy! They set guidelines, not rules, most of the time, and this is why veterans have learned to get used to the phrase "case by case".

Agreed. If you think you need to extend your visa, call up immigration ASAP and talk to them. You will need a VERY good reason to do so.

Back
Top Bottom