What's new

Visa Medical Exam

Damicci

先輩
4 Nov 2003
How much do these normally cost.
I know it is dependent on where you go but does anyone have knowledge the exam and idea of how much they cost?

I didn't have to get an exam when I got my Visa. I prefer it over MasterCard anyway. I am sure you can use it to pay for your exam.

I was thinking more on the cost of the medical exams required to obtain a visa for coming to the US.

You guys are so cruel to me. :(

I was thinking more on the cost of the medical exams required to obtain a visa for coming to the US.

You guys are so cruel to me. :(

Aw, we're just funnin' with ya.

I take it that this is for your girlfriend?

Humm??

My first question would be, could her family doctor in Japan do it for her? If it has to be done in the US, can your family doctor do it? It might be cheaper and easier if a regular family doctor can sign off on it. Must be someone out there who knows about this.

Frank

:?

Yes it is for my girlfriend. In order for her to obtain a K-3 Visa Fiance Visa she needs a medical exam as one of the requirements. Supposedly the location is given by the US Consulate that governs her area. She was told or read that this can cost up to $500. I think that seems a bit high for someone to say "your a bit thin but healthy, you pass".

Yes it is for my girlfriend. In order for her to obtain a K-3 Visa Fiance Visa she needs a medical exam as one of the requirements. Supposedly the location is given by the US Consulate that governs her area. She was told or read that this can cost up to $500. I think that seems a bit high for someone to say "your a bit thin but healthy, you pass".

The cost is probably the paperwork associated with the exam.

The procedure is required for immigrants into the US (fiancees included):
http://tokyo.usembassy.gov/e/visa/tvisa-ivmed.html
Rieko-san need to go to Tokyo, Kobe or Okinawa for the examination. FAQ says it costs 25,000 yen for the exam only. (I think it's expensive because it is not covered by any insurance policy.)

The procedure is required for immigrants into the US (fiancees included):

http://tokyo.usembassy.gov/e/visa/tvisa-ivmed.html

Rieko-san need to go to Tokyo, Kobe or Okinawa for the examination. FAQ says it costs 25,000 yen for the exam only. (I think it's expensive because it is not covered by any insurance policy.)

Usually, medical expenses are bumped up when insurance is involved. If someone's paying for something out-of-pocket, it is generally cheaper (at least it is in the U.S.).

Out of curiosity, what does a "normal" medical exam generally cost in Japan?

Usually, medical expenses are bumped up when insurance is involved. If someone's paying for something out-of-pocket, it is generally cheaper (at least it is in the U.S.).
Out of curiosity, what does a "normal" medical exam generally cost in Japan?
If you're not covered by medical insurance (which is rare in Japan), you have to pay at least 10,000 yen (and higher if the medical service is first-rate) for a medical examination (including X-ray, blood test, ECG, tests for various types of cancer). The Japanese usually get free examinations sponsored by the local government, employers, etc.

In the case of US immigrant visa examination, it appears that only English-Japanese bilingual doctors and medical services are being selected (probably to make sure the doctors can be held liable for their examinations and punishable by the US Embassy). The Embassy probably wants to make 100% sure that the examination results are not forged by quacks.

If you're not covered by medical insurance (which is rare in Japan), you have to pay at least 10,000 yen (and higher if the medical service is first-rate) for a medical examination (including X-ray, blood test, ECG, tests for various types of cancer).

That translates to about $75 and up in the U.S. That sounds about the same.

Back
Top Bottom