What's new

Visa Concern - Turning 30yrs old

Subfocal

後輩
15 Aug 2010
Hi guys,

I'm looking to move to Japan in March 2011. I'm currently in the process of getting everything sorted - including my visa. I am looking to get a 'working holiday visa', as you probably know this visa specifically states that you need to be between 18-30 to apply for it.

This is fine since I am turining 31 in November so I can apply and get the visa now. However this does mean that when I arrive in Japan I'll be 31. Is this going to cause an issue?

I've looked around the net for info but everything simply states that you need to be 30 (or under) at the time of application. It doesn't say anything about age upon entry to Japan.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Hi guys,
I'm looking to move to Japan in March 2011. I'm currently in the process of getting everything sorted - including my visa. I am looking to get a 'working holiday visa', as you probably know this visa specifically states that you need to be between 18-30 to apply for it.
This is fine since I am turining 31 in November so I can apply and get the visa now. However this does mean that when I arrive in Japan I'll be 31. Is this going to cause an issue?
I've looked around the net for info but everything simply states that you need to be 30 (or under) at the time of application. It doesn't say anything about age upon entry to Japan.
Does anyone have any ideas?

Please check Q&A page of JAWHM

I'm already thirty years old. Can I apply for a Working Holiday Visa?

The answer is yes if you are from Australia, Canada, France, Germany, Korea, New Zealand, Denmark, Taiwan, or the UK. If you are from one of those countries you can apply for a Working Holiday Visa up until the day before your 31st birthday.
If you are from Ireland you usually have to apply by the day before your 26th birthday. However, exceptions are made to this for people up to the age of 30, if they have a special reason why they were unable to apply before turning 26. The age of eligibility for British citizens was extended to 30 years of age in November 2008.
Working Holiday Visa F.A.Q | Japan Association for Working Holiday Makers

If you apply the visa before turning 31, then the visa will be issued, and then valid in Japan. But you better talk with visa section of J-embassy in UK for sure.

Thanks for your reply Astroboy. This is helpful information and almost gives the impression that if I enter Japan at 31yrs old then all should be ok. If the JAWHM state that "you can apply for a Working Holiday Visa up until the day before your 31st birthday" then you would assume that you would be "approved" the visa upon arrival in Japan even if you've just turned 31.

However, I did speak to someone at the Japanese embassy in London (UK) and a guy there said that I would need to be 30 at the time of entry to Japan. This is obviously what I didn't want to hear. :(

....At the same time he didn't seem 100 percent convinced that I would be turned away if I had just turned 31.

The whole thing is still a bit concerning for me to be honest! Still not sure what the best way forward is. :unsure:

However, I did speak to someone at the Japanese embassy in London (UK) and a guy there said that I would need to be 30 at the time of entry to Japan. This is obviously what I didn't want to hear. :(

....At the same time he didn't seem 100 percent convinced that I would be turned away if I had just turned 31.

The whole thing is still a bit concerning for me to be honest! Still not sure what the best way forward is. :unsure:

Immigration Bureau (Ministry of Justice) says ... as far as you get the working holiday visa in J-embassy in UK, entry into Japan is no problem. And Britons are eligible to apply for the working holiday visa until the birthday turning to 31.

Please note:
Immigration Office at Narita or any other entry gate in Japan is checking validity of visa and passport only. IF it's valid, you can enter Japan and work until it expires.

J-embassy at UK (Ministry of Foreign Affairs) is assessing eligibility of the working visa appliacants.

Therefore, the most important thing to you ..... applying and obtaining the working visa at J-emnbassy in London. No need to worry about immigration officer at the airport.

Good Luck. 🙂

Thanks again Astroboy.

What you're saying makes a lot of sense and is very similar to how I assumed things would work. Certaily that's how it works for Japanese people coming to the UK on a working holiday visa. You would assume they are set-up and controlled to the same standards. The working holiday visa requirements for both countries are very similar (e.g. age) and I have spoken to various Japanese in London who were able to enter the UK after turning 31.

I guess there's only one way to find out!! :)

Cheers!

Back
Top Bottom