What's new

Views from the street: Where would you rather be?

Hachiko

後輩
17 Jan 2004
Okay gang. Here's a fun article from the Japan Times:

More and more city slickers are unplugging themselves from the neon city and making a break for the hills, to live organically, practice reiki and meditate by a river. Given the choice, Melanie Burton asked where people would rather be.

Views from the street

Although Tokyo is a nice city to visit, I doubt I could live there indefinately.

I'll admit, it's a fun place to be in, and there's plenty of modern convenience and technological wonders; yet the simple purity of the countryside appeals to me more.

I'm the opposite, I guess it's because I'm still young... but I would prefer the city over the country any day....

too much country makes you kinda... loath it....

I LOVED THE COUNTRY !!!!

Sometimes I'd take the train out of Fukuoka and just head south for 4 or 5 hour rides. The beautiful shades of green, big hills, and LOVED the terraced hillsides of rice. The clothing worn by the people in the country used to seem like the 1600's; like going back in time. It was kinda fun to get off the train in a tiny town alone and walk around. People would gawk like I was a Martian! Used to amaze me that no matter how tiny or far out a village was, I was always running into 2 man teams of Mormans who spoke pretty good Japanese. There were some beautiful spots on the island of Kyushu !! The little fishing villages all along the coast were fun to visit also. People were always so friendly. My version of heavan on earth !!

Frank

🙂

I would take the city.

I love the early morning insanity in Osaka. That and the endless streets full of places to see and people to meet.

MORMANS?
Wouldn't you know it, I have 3-4 living in my area. They speak the best Japanese I've ever heard from an American.

haha, I come from Utah, the breeding ground of them...

my ツ静ヲツ青カwas one and lots of college students that took the japanese class... they do have very polite japanese... but for some reason they bug me with their Extreme politeness...

just commenting on their 窶愿コ窶怒ナ津ェ not the religion~

by the way it's mormon...

Originally posted by nihonjintaylor
I'm the opposite, I guess it's because I'm still young... but I would prefer the city over the country any day....

I'm young, but I love the countryside. 😄 I can visit a city for a day or two but can't wait to get back to the tranquility of the country.
In Japan especially I couldn't think of living anywhere else. I mean, cities can be found the world over, but villages and small towns are where you can find the traditional way of life - what's left of it anyway.
Maybe it's because I've never been interested in anime or the techological side of modern Japan that I don't visit places like Tokyo unless I have to.

You cityfolk can keep your stink, noise, motorcycle gangs, stumpy "trees", 40 students to a classroom, 80 dollar fruits, "pretty" skylines, rush hour, loud cars, crime, and over-crowding to yourselves. We don't want your type out here anyway :)

Plus, being able to go out at night on a new moon and see the Milky Way clear as day beats hands down any electric lit cityscape you care to name.

Originally posted by Mandylion
You cityfolk can keep your stink, noise, motorcycle gangs, stumpy "trees", 40 students to a classroom, 80 dollar fruits, "pretty" skylines, rush hour, loud cars, crime, and over-crowding to yourselves. We don't want your type out here anyway :)

Plus, being able to go out at night on a new moon and see the Milky Way clear as day beats hands down any electric lit cityscape you care to name.

yeah Manylion!! ..... although occasionally I do hear a bosouzoku gang in the distance.... just some country guys trying to copy I guess!
Where abouts are you living? Do you live in a country house? We really want to, but at the moment we are in a small apartment , but with rice fields as our view ;)

Originally posted by nihonjintaylor

Yeah, for me too. What's left of the scenary can be great....and I wouldn't say loath, but dislike in the extreme some of the monocultural, conservative attitudes of Japanese country people I've met. A quiet neighborhood near the shitamachi district in a mountainous city setting like Nagoya or Kyoto would be close to heaven. 😄

Re: I LOVED THE COUNTRY !!!!

Originally posted by Frank D. White
Sometimes I'd take the train out of Fukuoka and just head south for 4 or 5 hour rides. The beautiful shades of green, big hills, and LOVED the terraced hillsides of rice. The clothing worn by the people in the country used to seem like the 1600's; like going back in time. It was kinda fun to get off the train in a tiny town alone and walk around. People would gawk like I was a Martian! Used to amaze me that no matter how tiny or far out a village was, I was always running into 2 man teams of Mormans who spoke pretty good Japanese. There were some beautiful spots on the island of Kyushu !! The little fishing villages all along the coast were fun to visit also. People were always so friendly. My version of heavan on earth !!

Frank

🙂

Im going to Kyushu this year and im going to go exploring (hopefully). It sounds ace! Im going to visit Hiroshima and the space theme park and hopefully go to okinawa. I hope that i get to visit some of the villages you mentioned and see the countryside.

Porl''

Re: Re: I LOVED THE COUNTRY !!!!

Originally posted by Porl
Im going to Kyushu this year
Porl''

yeah! Have fun! Kyushu is beautiful (Japanese countryside in general is beautiful.....) I live in Kagoshima prefecture and love it, but I also loved visiting Nagasaki.... beautiful coatline with many small islands! ( unfortunately the navy/army have a bad reputation there and therefore the Japanese aren't so fond of gaijin in Nagasaki.... but that's a whole other thread...)
anyway. I hope you have a great time!

Re: Re: Re: I LOVED THE COUNTRY !!!!

Originally posted by nzueda
yeah! Have fun! Kyushu is beautiful (Japanese countryside in general is beautiful.....) I live in Kagoshima prefecture and love it, but I also loved visiting Nagasaki.... beautiful coatline with many small islands! ( unfortunately the navy/army have a bad reputation there and therefore the Japanese aren't so fond of gaijin in Nagasaki.... but that's a whole other thread...)
anyway. I hope you have a great time!

Hey Nzueda. Im gonna try and have fun! YAY! 😄 Im super looking forward to it! aah Nagasaki is another place i want to go when im there.
Gotta find out how long I can visit in japan and then figure out all the stuff i wanna do. woohoo!! 😄

Porl''

nzueda - I live out in the stixs of Kochi Prefecture. It is a stand-alone country house of sorts, though no thatched roofs etc. on the side of a hill looking out onto ricefields in the valley below. It is small but larger and cheaper than an apartment.

The biggest thing I notice at night after coming back from the city, even the "city" of 30,000 near me, is silence (it being winter now). On a weekend I could count how many cars drove by and probably only have to use one hand. In the summer there is the constant sound of cicadas, in spring and fall the frogs, cheery trees (outside my window) and maple leaves, August the fireflies (some of the last large populations in Japan), and in winter, wonderful silence. There are still moutains out here where you can go hiking and see deer (big ones not your Nara Park deer)and wild boar just wandering around.

I hear Kagoshima is nice to - not sure what I think about the volcano though :) Would like to take a trip down to Kyushu one of these days.

Really the only way to really get to know a place is watch the full run of te seasons and the changes in nature and people you see around you. Concrete has never done that for me and surprisingly, while like Elizabeth notes at times rural areas can be bit conservative and monocultural, the only times I have been shouted at, harassed, or insulted has been in cities like Osaka or other metropolises - never out in the coutry. Also, rarely have I found people more willing to sit and listen with genuine interest in what you have to say, no matter how elementary it might seem to cityfolk. Yes, it is probably because of the lack of exposure to such ideas, and while they might not change their own minds on an issue, there is genuine respect and they will give your ideas a fare shake (and not just because the foreigner-in-residence is saying them; they listen to each other too). I find that people in big cities are often quite jaded by all the hustle and bustle and unless you can shock or thrill, it is hard to engage in real conversations.

Cities are nice, but having lived in Kansai for almost 4 years, I can tell you that Osaka, Tokyo, Hiroshima are only the surface of what Japan is as a nation, culture, and people. If Japan allows its rural areas to die and their traditions to fade, Japan will be a hollow shell of what it once was. Cell phones, printclubs, and anime do not a nation make.

Get thee into the coutry, young folk! Stand on a coutry road stripped of your convenience stores, neon signs, trains, and all the things that make Japan seem like going to New York with all the writing in squiggly lines and a bunch of Japanese people walking around. If you still love what you see, and can accept all its blemishes and scars, some quite ugly, then Japan might be the right place for you.

My tirade is finished. Thanks for reading.

Originally posted by Mandylion
nzueda - I live out in the stixs of Kochi Prefecture. It is a stand-alone country house of sorts, though no thatched roofs etc. on the side of a hill looking out onto ricefields in the valley below. It is small but larger and cheaper than an apartment.

The biggest thing I notice at night after coming back from the city, even the "city" of 30,000 near me, is silence (it being winter now). On a weekend I could count how many cars drove by and probably only have to use one hand. In the summer there is the constant sound of cicadas, in spring and fall the frogs, cheery trees (outside my window) and maple leaves, August the fireflies (some of the last large populations in Japan), and in winter, wonderful silence.

窶堋?ツー 窶堋「窶堋「窶堙仰ーツーツーツ!ツ!ツ!
I *really* want to move further out into the country. Actually both hubby and I are interested in living in a country house, growing our own veges...
The only thing that puts me off a little is boton toilets.... ahh well it's a small price to pay for the peace and tranquility of country life.

Btw, where we are living we are surrounded by at least 3 volcanoes hehe doesn't worry me though - it means we have so many great onsens. and volcanoes are more predictable than earthquakes....

Have you been and seen the volcano in the bay around the bottom of kyushu? ..I've heard there is one sitting out in the bay or something. I'd love to see a volcano..obviously not with lava chasing me down the hillside.. ;) :D

Does Japan have a lot of volcanos? I've never thought of it, only the earthquakes...

Porl''

Originally posted by Porl
Have you been and seen the volcano in the bay around the bottom of kyushu? ..I've heard there is one sitting out in the bay or something. I'd love to see a volcano..obviously not with lava chasing me down the hillside.. ;) :D

Does Japan have a lot of volcanos? I've never thought of it, only the earthquakes...

Porl''

yes, I can see that volcano from where I live. I could probably see it from our apartment if we were on the second floor. It's called "Sakura Jima" and it's constantly smoking.It was an island, but in the last big eruption in 1914, lava reached the mainland and now we can drive over it ;) Sometimes when the wind is at a certain direction we find ash on the car roof etc.... but not very often. I've looked around Sakura Jima (there's even a town at the bottom) a bit, but next time I want to see the torii that is half submerged in lava!

I have no idea what exact number of volcanoes Japan has, but it would be in the thousands. Mt Fuji is also a volcano of course.

WOW!!! thats so cool!!! Im definetly going to see that volcano! ..cool cool cool! my dream of seeing a volcano will hopefully be fulfilled this year then!!!! YAY!! 😄

Porl''

Originally posted by Eternal Wind
Is it dangerous to visit the volcano??

well there is some danger I guess, but it is minimal. They have scientists monitoring the volcanoes all the time so we would be given sufficient warning if an eruption was predicted. I feel much safer living here than I would if I was living in Tokyo where the next earthquake is said to be.... earthquakes are almost impossible to predict...

I have some (not every good) photos on my homepage, if you're interested.

Hey Nzueda,

Thanks for saying about your site. I've just looked through all the photos. Wow! Im really want to see somethings like the waterfalls and hot springs and stuff like what are on your site. It looks like a beutiful place!! 🙂

Porl''

hmmm, while Country may have it's good points. Pretty, beautiful view etc....

I prefer seeing huge buildings... lots of people, noise of trains... variety...

living in the country has made me sit in my room play on the computer... and wish for a train ticket to yokohama.....

Back
Top Bottom