What's new

Video Game Pitch to the World.

Mitsuo

The Great
19 Jan 2006
If you could improve something about any game that you play or all games in general. What would you like to see improved.

Me personally, I would like to be able to save the game whenever I wanted, and start right back where I saved. Some video games already do that, and I like that feature. I wish they all would. Instead of waiting for a check point and so on.

Last edited:
Yeah true. Although it's not. I don't make or develop them. But if someone doesn't want to post it, or if you feel you should close the thread then it's OK with me. I was just curious. Because I know I always have Ideas, and when I play a video game, I always have something that I want improved and etc.

But you're right, you can't be to careful when it comes to ideas. So, I guess I will change it to "What would you improve on Video Games?"

Actually I was just kidding :p

But this is a better question I think, there are so many things I would like to change on some games :)

I'll post later, cause I'm in school atm :)

Oh :p , but still, you brought up a good point I think. I wonder how many people avoided this because of the fear of me or someone else stealing their idea.

Later :)

Well, there's just so much stuff on my wish list for video games... hm...

One thing I'd definitely like improved: the script. I don't know about console games, but just about all the games I've played for the GBA has had script filled with dry, unbelievable dialogue; characters talk as if they have no sense of identity other than that of some flat, uninteresting superhero. A lot of these games have even made Ted Woolsey look good!

Plot. I think games would be better off with a more complex storyline that goes beyond killing the evil villain, saving the princess, etc. I'm not sure, but I get the sense that the demographic for video game players has increased in age range; either that or it's become more socially acceptable for people to play. Or maybe I'm just noticing more people discussing games than when I was younger. Whatever the case, it's high time for game producers to taking their audience more seriously.

Also, I'd like to see plot that's driven in large part by character development.

For RPGs especially, I want more difficulty! I haven't had one RPG I wasn't able to breeze through.

Also for RPGs, I'd like to see less of the dungeon-quest formula, where our hero has to go from dungeon to dungeon in order to advance through the game, getting Item A in order to open up a path to get Item B, which will bring us on another quest to find Item C... Maybe we could have some more variety in stuff to do, like doing in-town things, doing minigames, etc.

Just some things that came to mind. Again, I'm only drawing from my experiences with the GBA (isn't Nintendo aimed for a younger audience?). Hey, if any producers wanna steal these ideas, go ahead! :p

The problem with saving all the time is that people over-save. I'm a well-known over saver, saving every 5 minutes or so. Anytime something risky may happen, save. Anytime you beat an enemy, save. Anytime you have to open a door, save. The best games have save spots in important areas, like FF7 did right before boss battles, or Beyond Good & Evil has randomly spaced through each level. The tough games are those that don't let you save often enough, or at all, within each level, i.e. Ninja Gaiden.

For RPGs especially, I want more difficulty! I haven't had one RPG I wasn't able to breeze through.

I think a major part of this is due to all the side quests and the subsequent leveling you get as a result. Lunar:Silver Star Story on PS1 actually increased the level of the enemies as you progressed; as such, the only real benefit from leveling was new techniques/spells. The bosses were never easy.

I would like a game that emulates life itself. I mean all aspects of it. Something that will draw your attention away from your busy life. I don't mean like the Sims. I mean something much bigger, and better then that.

Two words:

Virtual Reality.

It's not like we don't have the technology, we had most of it a decade ago--now it'd be cheap.

Of course, I may get off my butt and actually build a prototype of the damn thing one of these days, so I won't go into too much detail--but honestly I wouldn't mind if a game developer came out with it before I could.

I want to play this thing more than I want to get rich off it--but I'm too poor to throw away a potential source of major income. ;-)

Reiku said:
Two words:
Virtual Reality.
It's not like we don't have the technology, we had most of it a decade ago--now it'd be cheap.
Of course, I may get off my butt and actually build a prototype of the damn thing one of these days, so I won't go into too much detail--but honestly I wouldn't mind if a game developer came out with it before I could.
I want to play this thing more than I want to get rich off it--but I'm too poor to throw away a potential source of major income. ;-)
I'm sure you wouldn't be able to design all the characters, physics engine(one that emulates real life physics, gonna be kinda hard. havok, or source engine are not going to cut it), AI where it evolves and thinks for itself like a human would. You'd have to get scripts, and I mean millions of them. For the weather, cars, sun, stars, and everything. I'm sure you've watched the Matrix. You are going to need that many scripts to create a virtual reality. We were not able to do all that a decade ago. I like your attitude though. If you can do all of that, and manage to get a proper platform for the virtual reality then you know what? I would rob a bank to support your development of the game.
vr2cb-1.jpg

We might have the technology for it in the next few decades though.

I'm not talking about that level of VR--just a game system with an immersive environent (ie: You see and hear as if you were in the world of the game) that responds to all of your body movements. 😌

Also, I wouldn't need to make or code the games--just design the technology for the display and control systems. Patent royalties are a lazy inventor's best freind. :devilish:

Basicly, imagine playing any of the 3D games we have now--but you see, hear, and act completely from the character's point of view:

Move your head, your veiw changes--move your arms, so does your in-game avatar. You'd sense and interact with your environment as if you were really there. Granted the level of interation would be limited until console hardware and coding techniques improved--but just being able to play current-technology games this way would be enough to make everything else look pathetic.

Granted there have been a lot of VR-like periphreals--the Sega Activator, Eyetoy, there was even a 3rd party VR headset for Genesiss and SNES that scrolled the screen when you moved your head--but frankly, none of them work very well, and there's no justifyable reason why.

I had the basic display and control system designs down over ten years ago, and it's not that high-tech really--just a new application of existing technology. I'd have built the thing already if I wasn't:

A) A lazy, procrastinating, unfocused SOB

B) Too poor to afford the parts and manufacturing equiptment

and

C) I can't solder worth sh*t 😊

I even have a limited way to reproduce the sense of touch, but it's not as far along as the other systems since the technology it uses was developed more recently.

There's also a few ideas I'm chucking around for temperature variation--but that's a ways off yet. :D

Mitsuo Oda said:
Me personally, I would like to be able to save the game whenever I wanted, and start right back where I saved.
I agree with that. I've been known to leave a game on pause for hours if I've been playing for a while and can't find a save point 😊

I mostly play RPGs. Much as I love them, I would like to see more 'sense' to the way you learn special abilities. In Grandia on the PS, the spells were elemental, but the way you learnt them made sense. Cure was a 'forest' spell, and forest meant 'earth + water'. So to learn cure, you had to collect ability points from using earth and water spells. I liked that better than the arbitrary system in most RPGs where 'x' number of exp means you learn 'y' ability.

I'd also like to see more variety in the spells you learn. The vast majority are elemental, which is fine, but it gets a bit samey. They're all basically variations on the theme of fire, fira, firaga - and I'm sure someone could use a bit more imagination. I have some ideas but I won't say 'cos I'm afraid they'll get stolen 😊

Back
Top Bottom